If you're waiting for the new Garmins, are you thinking 605 or 705?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
For a while I thought I was for sure going to get the 705, but the more I think about it, it's probably not worth the extra $250 just for heart rate and cadence.

Anything big I am missing between the two that would sway someone in either direction?

jojoma said:
For a while I thought I was for sure going to get the 705, but the more I think about it, it's probably not worth the extra $250 just for heart rate and cadence.

Anything big I am missing between the two that would sway someone in either direction?
Both features are nice, but for about $267.00 you can get the 305 Edge with all the bells and whistles and besides, who needs to know exactly where you are. Chances are you're riding in your home territory unless you're on vacation. But if you still think you want the 705, I'd recommend getting it here: http://www.geomangear.com/. You will not beat the price anywhere in the states.

jojoma said:
Yes, you're missing that the 705 is compatible with upcoming ANT+ Sport power meters and the 605 isn't.*

If you're interested in training with power this could save you money in the long run. The upcoming Quarq head unit retails for $995. The current SRM CPU is $850 and who knows what they'll charge when they release an ANT+ Sport model. So the price of Garmin 705 is actually reasonable.

* Assuming the Garmin comparison chart is correct. The SRM press release (*.pdf) at Interbike did claim both the 605 and 705 will be compatible, so there is a discrepency.

rwinthenorth said:
Both features are nice, but for about $267.00 you can get the 305 Edge with all the bells and whistles and besides, who needs to know exactly where you are. Chances are you're riding in your home territory unless you're on vacation. But if you still think you want the 705, I'd recommend getting it here: http://www.geomangear.com/. You will not beat the price anywhere in the states.
Thanks for the mention!

The purported "release date" of the Edge 605/705 is now 1Q 2008... Originally "December 2007", Garmin recently pushed this date back past the Holiday selling season. Hmmm.

Interestingly, we've pre-sold quite a few of the 705 Bundles. However, the Edge 305's continue to outpace all other models we sell (i.e. Edge 205 and Forerunner 305) by at least 100:1. The $75 Edge 305 PowerBar rebate (US and Canada only) expires in just a few days - sales receipt must show a date no later than November 30, 2007. You have until the end of December to file the rebate form (available by signing up for the PowerBar Newsletter), sales receipt copy, and UPC code in order to claim the rebate which has been running about 2 - 3 weeks for Garmin to process.

If you are considering an Edge 305 for yourself or as a gift, now is a good time to pull the trigger.