Ignoramous doesn't know what to buy to replace wheel

Trighap

Oct 16, 2013
Greetings folks;

Three years ago this forum was an excellent help in purchasing my first non-Toys-R-Us bicycle and I was quite thanksful. I am hoping you folks will help me once again as I don't know what to do for the following situation:

My front wheel was stolen today as I was eating at a restaurant. Everything is gone (front wheel wise) and thus I am not sure if I need to purchase nuts, bolts, etc... I am also curious as to what wheel I should buy because I just now checked and found the specific wheel I had gets rather poor reviews. Here are the stats for my bike:

Specialized Hard Rock 29in, 2014 edition
Tires are Fast Track 29 x 2.0 Flax Jacket
No idea what the front wheel (the metal parts) info would be

Please inform me everything I would need to buy to replace the wheel. Also, I am a commuter, this bike is never rode off-road, but DOES get used daily and has to take the weight of a fat man. So if you have a better recommendation than the original Fast Track tire, please do enlighten me.

Thank you to all whom reply. Have a better day than myself.

You need a 29er/700C/622 mm wheel with a disc brake hub and a regular 9 mm quick-release axle.
According to the spec I found yours had 36 spokes, but you'd do fine with 32.
And you'll need a 160 mm rotor, tire and tube.
For tires, consider Conti Sport Contact II, or Schwalbe Big Apple.
If you're staying on roads, don't worry about the spec of the wheel.

Reactions: steve
Thank you for your assistance, Dabac. I appreciate the detailed information that you provided. Cheers!

I do have an issue with you describing yourself as an "ignoramus", however. You were smart enough to ask, and it was a very reasonable question. Quite a few people who ride do not know every nut, bolt, spoke and gear on their bike. That does not make you any less. We all have to start somewhere. Don't be so hard o yourself.

Reactions: Trighap
I do have an issue with you describing yourself as an "ignoramus", however. You were smart enough to ask, and it was a very reasonable question. Quite a few people who ride do not know every nut, bolt, spoke and gear on their bike. That does not make you any less. We all have to start somewhere. Don't be so hard o yourself.

Very nice reply, and you are correct in what you said. We all have to start somewhere, and we never really learn everything there is to know about bikes, even Sheldon Brown who was bike guru made a couple of errors, some think more than a couple but I'll leave it at that, the point is if someone like Sheldon Brown didn't know everything how do you expect to know everything?

Since you say you are a large man you do have to watch the specs on the wheel to make sure it will handle your weight for the long term, meaning you don't want the lightest wheel you can find, besides the lightest wheels cost a great deal more. Most LBS's can build you a suitable wheel for under $200 if they don't already have one in stock. Just go in with your bike, they know then what wheel to get based on the value and type of the bike, and after seeing you will decide how strong the wheel needs to be, it's easy peasy for a bike shop to do and not very expensive.