Ignorant needs help on SPD pedals and shoes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by filipe, Aug 21, 2005.

1. filipe

filipe New Member

Hi,
    I was offered a pair of Adidas Gran Corsico SPD shoes, which have the cleat mount holes deeply recessed into the sole (the sole is very thick).
    When I tried them with the set of SPD pedals (Wellgo 982) that came with my bike, I was very disappointed to find that the shoes didn't fit, since the outer rim of the sole would jam againt the outside ot the pedal making it impossible for the cleat to reach the spd "claws" in the pedal.

As I see it, now the only way to solve this is to get a new set of pedals compatible with these shoes. Is this right?
    Are there smaller pedals with locking mechanisms that stand out to fit shoes like these with recessed cleats? From what I could find online, it looks like the Wellgo 713, the 715 and the Shimano M520, A520, M540 are much smaller than the ones I have, but will they fit?
    Is this a normal situation?

Sorry for all these lame questions, but I'm a newbie, and can't keep burning more money on stuff that won't work.

regards
    Filipe

Tags:

2. eric_the_red

eric_the_red New Member

You could also cut away some of the sole. Without seeing the pedasl and shoes I don't know if this is possible, but it would be free.

As for getting new pedals take the shoes to a bike shop and try them before buying.

3. TKOS

TKOS New Member

SPD's come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Those shoes with deep recessed clips may not work with all (as you have noticed). I would suggest following the advice above and trying them on cleats at a store to see.

4. LindaC

LindaC New Member

I'm having the same problem - I was told these shoes would work with SPD clips--what about some sort of spacer to bring them higher?