ignorant newbies new bike questions?

SARLizard

New Member
May 6, 2004
I just got a "new" road bike from a friend who is letting me try it out to see how it fits, and will buy it later. Though I have no idea as to what it would be worth, and dont want to be insulting when making an offer, however I am also a poor college student who cant afford to pay much.

It is a Vitus 979 (guessing circa 85-88 aluminum)
w/Shimano Dura-ace cranks,brakes,shift levers (on down tube), derailers, bottom bracket.
Mallard 700 hubs?
Matrix Anodic rims?
Vittoria Rubino kevlar tires?
and a Selle San Marco racing seat.

The bike appears to be like new, and rides incredibly smooth, though this is only in comparison to my previous 70's MontogomeryWard road bike.

I am mostly curious about what would be a fair price and have thought about upgrading to the brake levers that replace the shifting on the down tubes.
Thanks

In article <[email protected]>,
SARLizard <[email protected]> wrote:
>I just got a "new" road bike from a friend who is letting
>me try it out to see how it fits, and will buy it later.
>Though I have no idea as to what it would be worth, and
>dont want to be insulting when making an offer, however I
>am also a poor college student who cant afford to pay much.
>
>It is a Vitus 979 (guessing circa 85-88 aluminum)
>w/Shimano Dura-ace cranks,brakes,shift levers (on down
> tube), derailers, bottom bracket. Mallard 700 hubs?
> Matrix Anodic rims? Vittoria Rubino kevlar tires? and a
> Selle San Marco racing seat.
>
>The bike appears to be like new, and rides incredibly
>smooth, though this is only in comparison to my previous
>70's MontogomeryWard road bike.
>
>I am mostly curious about what would be a fair price and
>have thought about upgrading to the brake levers that
>replace the shifting on the down tubes. Thanks

That will be an expensive upgrade so don't offer too much
for the bike. $300 would be a lot to pay if you're just
going to rip it apart and spend a couple hundred more on
drivetrain parts. $200 would be a great deal if you wanted
to ride it as is for a while, it might be worth a bit more
than that depending on condition (my guess anyway).

You might be better off looking for something a little newer
that has parts more like what you want, unless the Vitus is
super cheap.