ignorant newbies new bike questions?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by SARLizard, May 6, 2004.

  1. SARLizard

    SARLizard New Member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    I just got a "new" road bike from a friend who is letting me try it out to see how it fits, and will buy it later. Though I have no idea as to what it would be worth, and dont want to be insulting when making an offer, however I am also a poor college student who cant afford to pay much.

    It is a Vitus 979 (guessing circa 85-88 aluminum)
    w/Shimano Dura-ace cranks,brakes,shift levers (on down tube), derailers, bottom bracket.
    Mallard 700 hubs?
    Matrix Anodic rims?
    Vittoria Rubino kevlar tires?
    and a Selle San Marco racing seat.

    The bike appears to be like new, and rides incredibly smooth, though this is only in comparison to my previous 70's MontogomeryWard road bike.

    I am mostly curious about what would be a fair price and have thought about upgrading to the brake levers that replace the shifting on the down tubes.
    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    SARLizard <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I just got a "new" road bike from a friend who is letting
    >me try it out to see how it fits, and will buy it later.
    >Though I have no idea as to what it would be worth, and
    >dont want to be insulting when making an offer, however I
    >am also a poor college student who cant afford to pay much.
    >
    >It is a Vitus 979 (guessing circa 85-88 aluminum)
    >w/Shimano Dura-ace cranks,brakes,shift levers (on down
    > tube), derailers, bottom bracket. Mallard 700 hubs?
    > Matrix Anodic rims? Vittoria Rubino kevlar tires? and a
    > Selle San Marco racing seat.
    >
    >The bike appears to be like new, and rides incredibly
    >smooth, though this is only in comparison to my previous
    >70's MontogomeryWard road bike.
    >
    >I am mostly curious about what would be a fair price and
    >have thought about upgrading to the brake levers that
    >replace the shifting on the down tubes. Thanks

    That will be an expensive upgrade so don't offer too much
    for the bike. $300 would be a lot to pay if you're just
    going to rip it apart and spend a couple hundred more on
    drivetrain parts. $200 would be a great deal if you wanted
    to ride it as is for a while, it might be worth a bit more
    than that depending on condition (my guess anyway).

    You might be better off looking for something a little newer
    that has parts more like what you want, unless the Vitus is
    super cheap.