Ignore the troll by lightning up

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Dr. Lilith Cran, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Hey guys,

    Light'em up!

    I think everyone is getting too worked up about the troll. If everyone lights up, the troll will
    diaspear. He just wants attention. Ignore the outrageous posts, laugh at the funny ones, and move on
    to something else. Pretend they don't exist.

    Please - bring back the talk about training, bikes, tri races, and all of the stuff that made this
    newsgroup one of the best ones out there. At one time we even had a website.

    Just step around the trolls messages and totally ignore them. He'll go away. Heck, some of them are
    funny - you have to admit.

    Who's gonna do an iron distance triathlon this year? I'm thinking about doing my first next year.
    Which one would be a good one?

    lc

    PS - Yes the e-mail name is not real. There's no way I'd use my real name in here. I am a real
    gal, though.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Dr. Lilith Crane) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > Light'em up!
    >
    > I think everyone is getting too worked up about the troll. If everyone lights up, the troll will
    > diaspear. He just wants attention. Ignore the outrageous posts, laugh at the funny ones, and move
    > on to something else. Pretend they don't exist.

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that makes sense !

    > Please - bring back the talk about training, bikes, tri races, and all of the stuff that made this
    > newsgroup one of the best ones out there. At one time we even had a website.
    >
    > Just step around the trolls messages and totally ignore them. He'll go away. Heck, some of them
    > are funny - you have to admit.
    >
    > Who's gonna do an iron distance triathlon this year? I'm thinking about doing my first next year.
    > Which one would be a good one?
    >
    > lc
    >
    > PS - Yes the e-mail name is not real. There's no way I'd use my real name in here. I am a real
    > gal, though.

    GOOD "GAL" (inverted commas to avoid being patronizing) - STAY ALERT, STAY ALIVE, STAY ANONYMOUS -
    thats what I always say.

    At least there seems to be ONE person on rst that is sensible.

    Short story - regarding anonymity :

    I went on to another foum

    I posted a reply to a question.

    The suspected troll had my posts removed due to what he claimed were "racist comments" - this was a
    total over reaction.

    SO I suspected this troll was looking to start a flame war.

    I decided to "research" the troll and his identity, using the internet and STANDARD search engines.

    I managed to collect over 6 pages worth of information on this guy.

    He had posted his real name and address on several different website - all unrelated to the original
    forum that I had posted on - probably assuming that nobody from the forum would look on the sites
    that he had posted on, one of the websites was a DATING AGENCY.

    I managed to get his age, his address (3 unrelated sites with same info), I managed to find an
    article he had written regarding his athletics club, WHERE and WHEN he trains - again 2
    different sites.

    ALSO on the dating agency a description 5 foot 8 tall, dark brown hair, green eyes, 20 years of age,
    professional athlete (yeahr right)

    WHAT A NIGHTMARE - can you imagine if I was a crazed killer who had been really upset by this guy
    and I wanted revenge ?

    The bottom line is, I managed to establish that the guy was NOT a troll, I think he must be a VERY
    confused and paranoid individual.

    I can't say much more - because according to a couple of sites, this guy is going to be in my neck
    of the woods doing a "race" next week - so............maybe.........

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I'll be at IM UTAH (1/2 this year actually), IM IDAHO, IM USA, IM WISCONSIN, IM HAWAII, and IM
    FLORIDA as well 10 other shorter events around the country. How about the rest of you all out there?
    As in years past I have provided technical support at these events and will continue to do so again
    this year. Hope to see you all out there!

    Peter

    news:[email protected]...

  4. "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I'll be at IM UTAH (1/2 this year actually), IM IDAHO, IM USA, IM WISCONSIN, IM HAWAII, and IM
    > FLORIDA as well 10 other shorter events around the country. How about the rest of you all out
    > there? As in years past I have provided technical support at these events and will continue to do
    > so again this year. Hope to see you all out there!
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Dr. Lilith Crane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Hey guys,
    >>
    >> Light'em up!
    >>
    >> I think everyone is getting too worked up about the troll. If everyone lights up, the troll will
    >> diaspear. He just wants attention. Ignore the outrageous posts, laugh at the funny ones, and move
    >> on to something else. Pretend they don't exist.
    >>
    >> Please - bring back the talk about training, bikes, tri races, and all of the stuff that made
    >> this newsgroup one of the best ones out there. At one time we even had a website.
    >>
    >> Just step around the trolls messages and totally ignore them. He'll go away. Heck, some of them
    >> are funny - you have to admit.
    >>
    >> Who's gonna do an iron distance triathlon this year? I'm thinking about doing my first next year.
    >> Which one would be a good one?
    >>
    >> lc
    >>
    >> PS - Yes the e-mail name is not real. There's no way I'd use my real name in here. I am a real
    >> gal, though.

    I'll be volunteeringin the transition area at IMFL Saturday (and *might* sign up for 2004
    on Sunday).