Il Pirata - Marco Pantani

I can't say I didn't like the film, but I've expected more. And I think they could (should) make better film. Production wasn't on Pantani's life story level.

I have not yet seen the film, Andrija, but I did read commentary from several pirati. Many were pretty upset about a scene which depicts some cycling authority giving a warning to Pantani in 1995 that he must ride clean and that he had seen his high hematocrit level. This is of course a fiction since there was no hematocrit testing in that year. Though in 2000 to chastise Pantani, hospital records were dug up for his emergency treatment after the Milan-Torino race bad fall. His hospital records showed alternatively extreme highs and then extreme lows of hematocrit, as he was suffering significant internal hemorraging. His enemies used this to insinuate he was a habitual blood doper. Others complain of the lack of depth that perhaps is unavoidable in a short film. Others were glad that it was not a complete devastation and that it perhaps will renew interest in uncovering some yet to be revealed truth behind the outrageous chastisement suffered by Pantani. Many gave credit to the actor for his portrayal of Marco Pantani.

Andrija said:
I can't say I didn't like the film, but I've expected more. And I think they could (should) make better film. Production wasn't on Pantani's life story level.

ilpirata said:
I have not yet seen the film, Andrija, but I did read commentary from several pirati. Many were pretty upset about a scene which depicts some cycling authority giving a warning to Pantani in 1995 that he must ride clean and that he had seen his high hematocrit level. This is of course a fiction since there was no hematocrit testing in that year. Though in 2000 to chastise Pantani, hospital records were dug up for his emergency treatment after the Milan-Torino race bad fall. His hospital records showed alternatively extreme highs and then extreme lows of hematocrit, as he was suffering significant internal hemorraging. His enemies used this to insinuate he was a habitual blood doper. Others complain of the lack of depth that perhaps is unavoidable in a short film. Others were glad that it was not a complete devastation and that it perhaps will renew interest in uncovering some yet to be revealed truth behind the outrageous chastisement suffered by Pantani. Many gave credit to the actor for his portrayal of Marco Pantani.
I would recommend everybody to read 'The Death of Marco Pantani' by Matt Rendell. The man is a huge fan but isn't blinded by that and gives a very honest portrait of the rider.