Iliotibial band syndrome question

Patrick

Guest
Hi,

Finished the Rock n Roll marathon, but suffered from ITB syndrome the last four miles, stopped
running, and have been doing cycling, and lately 25-30 minutes on Stairmaster without pain.

Any recommendations on weight training to help the healing/avoid a reoccurrence? Looking for
specific exercises and machines to use and/or avoid...

Thanks,

Pat

Pat wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Finished the Rock n Roll marathon, but suffered from ITB syndrome the last four miles, stopped
>running, and have been doing cycling, and lately 25-30 minutes on Stairmaster without pain.
>
>Any recommendations on weight training to help the healing/avoid a reoccurrence? Looking for
>specific exercises and machines to use and/or avoid...
>
>Thanks,
>
>Pat

Not weight training, but abdominal work. There are recovery methods, such as straps, check your
pronation, cut mileage and particularly speedwork that you'll no doubt hear about.

But hip stability is important to both sprinters and marathoners training/racing hard to avoid
injury. There has been some research done at Stanford with distance runners suffering with ITBS.
They had the runners doing a variety of crunches, including diagonal and twisting crunches, and got
virtually a 100% cure rate doing this. I don't have the research citation, but this can be found in
medline under a ITBS search heading.

On weight days, I do 5 sets of 90 crunches on a 45 degree incline (3 straight, 1 diagonal or
twisting each way) and I have high school runners doing roughly half this amount. I don't see this
particular injury.

Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

"Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Finished the Rock n Roll marathon, but suffered from ITB syndrome the last four miles, stopped
> running, and have been doing cycling, and lately 25-30 minutes on Stairmaster without pain.
>
> Any recommendations on weight training to help the healing/avoid a reoccurrence? Looking for
> specific exercises and machines to use and/or avoid...

Try exercises involving strengthening the quads. Also, look into preventative measures, such as
inserts for your shoes with good arch support (Spenco makes pretty good ones).

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

>There has been some research done at Stanford with distance runners suffering with ITBS. They had
>the runners
doing
>a variety of crunches, including diagonal and twisting crunches, and got
virtually a 100% cure rate doing this.

Thanks for this tip. Don't have ITB symptoms, but will hit my sit-up type exercises with renewed
vigor as a preventative.

"Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Finished the Rock n Roll marathon, but suffered from ITB syndrome the last four miles, stopped
> running, and have been doing cycling, and lately 25-30 minutes on Stairmaster without pain.
>
> Any recommendations on weight training to help the healing/avoid a reoccurrence? Looking for
> specific exercises and machines to use and/or avoid...

Went through the same thing about a year ago. Here's what I did then in the way of weight-training
(as recommended by a sports trainer).

1) Sideway leg lifts: in my Gymn, there is this machine that allows you to stand on one foot while
you lift a weight with your free leg sideways. Don't do a lot of weight, just enough to make it
work, and do the ITB stretch between sets.

2) Single knee lifts: on the same machine, I can turn and, while standing on one foot, lift the
weight with the free knee.

These two exercises have done away with my ITB woes. I keep doing them even now, once or twice a
week. As with all things in running, YMMV.

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º
eNo

"Lyndon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> not weight training, but abdominal work.

Yes, I agree on the ab work and should have mentioned it.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

In article <[email protected]>, Patrick
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Finished the Rock n Roll marathon, but suffered from ITB syndrome the last four miles, stopped
> running, and have been doing cycling, and lately 25-30 minutes on Stairmaster without pain.
>
> Any recommendations on weight training to help the healing/avoid a reoccurrence? Looking for
> specific exercises and machines to use and/or avoid...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pat

One way to roll the IT Band: www.mindfulness.com/of5.asp

Ozzie Gontang Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975 Maintainer - rec.running FAQ http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-
newsgroup/rec/rec.running.html Mindful Running http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp

Consider this stretch:

Patrick wrote:

> Finished the Rock n Roll marathon, but suffered from ITB syndrome the last four miles, stopped
> running, and have been doing cycling, and lately 25-30 minutes on Stairmaster without pain.
>
> Any recommendations on weight training to help the healing/avoid a reoccurrence? Looking for
> specific exercises and machines to use and/or avoid...

Lots of iffy and conflicting info I can offer (as if that'll be helpful)
1. strengthen medial thigh muscles (thigh adductors)
2. there are stretching exercises of the ITB that supposedly help
3. my orthopedist who took care of me during my ITB said the physical therapy stretching exercises
don't work; I have no idea whether he is right or wrong.

Best of luck. -- Josh Steinberg MD, Syracuse

Lyndon wrote:

> Not weight training, but abdominal work. There are recovery methods, such as straps, check your
> pronation, cut mileage and particularly speedwork that you'll no doubt hear about. There has been
> some research done at Stanford with distance runners suffering with ITBS. They had the runners
> doing a variety of crunches, including diagonal and twisting crunches, and got virtually a 100%
> cure rate doing this. I don't have the research citation, but this can be found in medline under a
> ITBS search heading.

I have a strange question to ask, since I usually care what works and not why it works...

Why would abdominal crunches of any variety, including twisting ones, make a bit of difference?

Not that there is or must be an answer, but I'm curious. -- Josh