I'll bag my own stuff!

Nancy Young

Guest
They have some new cashiers at the store, and a couple of
them have been bagging, I guess it's a training thing. Baggers
aren't especially usual around here.

I guess it was lesson one, or maybe I'm just wrong about
this ... I like the meat bagged by itself, all the meat in one
bag, that's okay, just nothing else in the bag. I think that's
normal, no?

Got the stuff home, darn it, he put the yogurt and the
light cream into the meat bag. Washed them off, put the
meat away.

Today, I'm thinking ... hey, I bought some Twizzlers (strawberry
licorice for anyone who doesn't know), I could go for that!
Can't find it, man I hate when I don't have all my groceries
when I get home. Even checked the car, maybe it fell out.
No such luck.

Heh, pulled out the porterhouse steak for dinner ... lying
flat underneath it was my bag of candy. Oh, yuck.
I'm thinking, chicken and cow juice all over my Twizzler
bag.

I'll live.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:

> Today, I'm thinking ... hey, I bought some Twizzlers (strawberry
> licorice for anyone who doesn't know), I could go for that!
> Can't find it, man I hate when I don't have all my groceries
> when I get home. Even checked the car, maybe it fell out.
> No such luck.
>
> Heh, pulled out the porterhouse steak for dinner ... lying
> flat underneath it was my bag of candy. Oh, yuck.
> I'm thinking, chicken and cow juice all over my Twizzler
> bag.
>
> I'll live.
>
> nancy

I would call the store, and see about getting a refund. That's
completely unacceptable (and this is coming from someone who has worked
as a supermarket cashier).

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Heh, pulled out the porterhouse steak for dinner ... lying
>> flat underneath it was my bag of candy. Oh, yuck.
>> I'm thinking, chicken and cow juice all over my Twizzler
>> bag.
>>
>> I'll live.

> I would call the store, and see about getting a refund. That's completely
> unacceptable (and this is coming from someone who has worked as a
> supermarket cashier).

Yeah, I know ... thanks for the advice, next time I'll pay attention.
Was kinda funny how a bag of Twizzlers hides really well under a
steak. Just gave the bag a good wash, you knew I wouldn't throw
them out, right?

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote
>

>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>>Heh, pulled out the porterhouse steak for dinner ... lying
>>>flat underneath it was my bag of candy. Oh, yuck.
>>>I'm thinking, chicken and cow juice all over my Twizzler
>>>bag.
>>>
>>>I'll live.

>>I would call the store, and see about getting a refund. That's completely
>>unacceptable (and this is coming from someone who has worked as a
>>supermarket cashier).

> Yeah, I know ... thanks for the advice, next time I'll pay attention.
> Was kinda funny how a bag of Twizzlers hides really well under a
> steak. Just gave the bag a good wash, you knew I wouldn't throw
> them out, right?
>
> nancy

oh, ok. I'd have either tossed them or gone back to the store, but I'm
really picky about the whole food safety thing since i took the servsafe
class last year.

--

Adam Bowman wrote:
>I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
> then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
> wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
> messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
> your intention?
>
> That type of argument is like
>
> "Bob shot someone"
>
> "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> On Thu 30 Mar 2006 05:49:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
> Young?

> Generally, we have very good baggers at the stores where I shop, but I
> prefer my groceries more "compartmentalized" and bagged separately. I
> pre-
> sort all my items into separate groups of meats, fresh produce, frozen
> foods, canned goods, boxed items, deli, and bakery,

I do that, too, perhaps not as detailed. Run into a little problem
with that sometimes as some stuff is heavy ... so I wind up mixing
lighter things in with the, say, canned stuff.

> and I tell the cashier
> and/or bagger that I want them bagged that way. It makes everything much
> easier to unpack and put away at home and even the destination of the
> various bags. In our very hot summers here in AZ, it also makes the trip
> home more convenient.

I have done that when I'm someplace and I know I want to
go out for lunch afterwards, whatever. This way I don't have
to rush home.

> I keep coolers in the trunk of the car and deposit
> anything that requires refrigeration/freezing into those, as well as most
> of the fresh produce. Doing that also allows me some flexibility in
> getting home and allows for other stops along the way.

Heh, as you said.

> We live some distance from shopping.

I'm in the supermarket 3 or 4 times a week ... fits right in with my
lack of planning ahead. Obviously I had to be more organized when
I worked. I would certainly have to plan better if I lived far away
from the store like you do. If I was so inclined, and I have done it
a number of times, I can walk to the store, it's only a mile.

nancy

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote

> oh, ok. I'd have either tossed them or gone back to the store, but I'm
> really picky about the whole food safety thing since i took the servsafe
> class last year.

You're right, of course, greed won out ... I figured, well, I'll
wash it the same way I wash dishes, what the heck.

nancy

On Thu 30 Mar 2006 05:49:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
Young?

> They have some new cashiers at the store, and a couple of
> them have been bagging, I guess it's a training thing. Baggers
> aren't especially usual around here.
>
> I guess it was lesson one, or maybe I'm just wrong about
> this ... I like the meat bagged by itself, all the meat in one
> bag, that's okay, just nothing else in the bag. I think that's
> normal, no?
>
> Got the stuff home, darn it, he put the yogurt and the
> light cream into the meat bag. Washed them off, put the
> meat away.
>
> Today, I'm thinking ... hey, I bought some Twizzlers (strawberry
> licorice for anyone who doesn't know), I could go for that!
> Can't find it, man I hate when I don't have all my groceries
> when I get home. Even checked the car, maybe it fell out.
> No such luck.
>
> Heh, pulled out the porterhouse steak for dinner ... lying
> flat underneath it was my bag of candy. Oh, yuck.
> I'm thinking, chicken and cow juice all over my Twizzler
> bag.
>
> I'll live.

Generally, we have very good baggers at the stores where I shop, but I
prefer my groceries more "compartmentalized" and bagged separately. I pre-
sort all my items into separate groups of meats, fresh produce, frozen
foods, canned goods, boxed items, deli, and bakery, and I tell the cashier
and/or bagger that I want them bagged that way. It makes everything much
easier to unpack and put away at home and even the destination of the
various bags. In our very hot summers here in AZ, it also makes the trip
home more convenient. I keep coolers in the trunk of the car and deposit
anything that requires refrigeration/freezing into those, as well as most
of the fresh produce. Doing that also allows me some flexibility in
getting home and allows for other stops along the way. We live some
distance from shopping.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> They have some new cashiers at the store, and a couple of
> them have been bagging, I guess it's a training thing. Baggers
> aren't especially usual around here.
>
> I guess it was lesson one, or maybe I'm just wrong about
> this ... I like the meat bagged by itself, all the meat in one
> bag, that's okay, just nothing else in the bag. I think that's
> normal, no?
>
> Got the stuff home, darn it, he put the yogurt and the
> light cream into the meat bag. Washed them off, put the
> meat away.
>
> Today, I'm thinking ... hey, I bought some Twizzlers (strawberry
> licorice for anyone who doesn't know), I could go for that!
> Can't find it, man I hate when I don't have all my groceries
> when I get home. Even checked the car, maybe it fell out.
> No such luck.
>
> Heh, pulled out the porterhouse steak for dinner ... lying
> flat underneath it was my bag of candy. Oh, yuck.
> I'm thinking, chicken and cow juice all over my Twizzler
> bag.
>
> I'll live.
>
> nancy

Worst I ever experienced was when the bagger put a container of cottage
cheese on the bottom, sideways, and put something heavy on top. Of course
the cottage cheese popped open and spewed all over the bag.

Donna

sarah bennett wrote:

> I would call the store, and see about getting a refund. That's
> completely unacceptable (and this is coming from someone who has worked
> as a supermarket cashier).

Oh, come on, "completely unacceptable"? Sure the novice bagger blew
it but then it took Nancy another day to find a package of licorice
underneath the porterhouse!? Whose fault is that? Don't you sort
things out when you get back from the store? -aem

In article <[email protected]>,
"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

> They have some new cashiers at the store, and a couple of
> them have been bagging, I guess it's a training thing. Baggers
> aren't especially usual around here.
>
> I guess it was lesson one, or maybe I'm just wrong about
> this ... I like the meat bagged by itself, all the meat in one
> bag, that's okay, just nothing else in the bag. I think that's
> normal, no?

Yeah, and each meat item is usually bagged by itself before being put
into the main bag. That's the way they do it here.

> Got the stuff home, darn it, he put the yogurt and the
> light cream into the meat bag. Washed them off, put the
> meat away.
>
> Today, I'm thinking ... hey, I bought some Twizzlers (strawberry
> licorice for anyone who doesn't know), I could go for that!
> Can't find it, man I hate when I don't have all my groceries
> when I get home. Even checked the car, maybe it fell out.
> No such luck.
>
> Heh, pulled out the porterhouse steak for dinner ... lying
> flat underneath it was my bag of candy. Oh, yuck.
> I'm thinking, chicken and cow juice all over my Twizzler
> bag.
>
> I'll live.

You need to complain to the store about it. That bagger needs additional
training!

> nancy

The worst bagging experience I had once was someone putting a carton of
whipping cream under a bag of charcoal. I did not miss the cream until
the next day, so it spent a day outside on the front porch where I left
the charcoal. ;-)

I called the store manager and let him know about it.

Cheers!

--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote

> Oh, come on, "completely unacceptable"? Sure the novice bagger blew
> it but then it took Nancy another day to find a package of licorice
> underneath the porterhouse!? Whose fault is that? Don't you sort
> things out when you get back from the store?

Hey, don't yell at me! I took the yogurt and the cream
out, left the chicken and the steak in the bag and stuck
it in the meat drawer. That impulse buy of Twizzlers didn't
cross my mind again till this afternoon.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:

> Hey, don't yell at me! I took the yogurt and the cream
> out, left the chicken and the steak in the bag and stuck
> it in the meat drawer. That impulse buy of Twizzlers didn't
> cross my mind again till this afternoon.

More like laugh at you, natch. ;-) I was reacting to her idea
of asking for a refund for what is -- at least -- a shared
responsibility. I know you weren't looking for that.

Actually, I was also laughing to myself about the juxtaposition of
Twizzlers and porterhouse. In my mind, licorice is one of the ultimate
childish things, while porterhouse is definitely a grown-up thing. I
wonder if other people think certain foods are either kiddie or adult?
-aem

On Thu 30 Mar 2006 06:55:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy Young?

> I'm in the supermarket 3 or 4 times a week ... fits right in with my
> lack of planning ahead. Obviously I had to be more organized when
> I worked. I would certainly have to plan better if I lived far away
> from the store like you do. If I was so inclined, and I have done it
> a number of times, I can walk to the store, it's only a mile.

I can easily stop at several different supermarkets on the way home from
work, and I often do stop if I think of an item I want for that night.
Otherwise, it's a weekly trip for me, and once a month for really major
shopping, staples, etc.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Hey, don't yell at me! I took the yogurt and the cream
>> out, left the chicken and the steak in the bag and stuck
>> it in the meat drawer. That impulse buy of Twizzlers didn't
>> cross my mind again till this afternoon.

> More like laugh at you, natch. ;-) I was reacting to her idea
> of asking for a refund for what is -- at least -- a shared
> responsibility. I know you weren't looking for that.

You can laugh at me. I knew the other stuff was in the bag,
shoulda looked closer. Still, the damage was done before I
left the store. I should have watched the guy bag.

> Actually, I was also laughing to myself about the juxtaposition of
> Twizzlers and porterhouse. In my mind, licorice is one of the ultimate
> childish things, while porterhouse is definitely a grown-up thing. I
> wonder if other people think certain foods are either kiddie or adult?

These days I buy scads of kiddie food. Didn't used to do that.

Porterhouse? Actually I just wanted a steak, and they didn't have
any ribeyes that called me. I should think to check the expensive
meat case, I have been pleasantly surprised that it's not really that
expensive after all.

I do try to eat something involving actual food groups once a day.
Broiled the porterhouse, had some peas, and cut up some really
good tomatoes ... vine tomatoes, larger than cherry tomatoes but
smaller than ... other tomatoes? They come in a plastic case.
Delicious, sprinkled with a little olive oil and salt. Smelled just
like summer.

Twizzlers for dessert. (smile)

nancy

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 30 Mar 2006 05:49:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
> Young?
>
>> They have some new cashiers at the store, and a couple of
>> them have been bagging, I guess it's a training thing. Baggers
>> aren't especially usual around here.
>>
>> I guess it was lesson one, or maybe I'm just wrong about
>> this ... I like the meat bagged by itself, all the meat in one
>> bag, that's okay, just nothing else in the bag. I think that's
>> normal, no?
>>
>> Got the stuff home, darn it, he put the yogurt and the
>> light cream into the meat bag. Washed them off, put the
>> meat away.
>>
>> Today, I'm thinking ... hey, I bought some Twizzlers (strawberry
>> licorice for anyone who doesn't know), I could go for that!
>> Can't find it, man I hate when I don't have all my groceries
>> when I get home. Even checked the car, maybe it fell out.
>> No such luck.
>>
>> Heh, pulled out the porterhouse steak for dinner ... lying
>> flat underneath it was my bag of candy. Oh, yuck.
>> I'm thinking, chicken and cow juice all over my Twizzler
>> bag.
>>
>> I'll live.

> Generally, we have very good baggers at the stores where I shop, but I
> prefer my groceries more "compartmentalized" and bagged separately.
> I pre- sort all my items into separate groups of meats, fresh
> produce, frozen foods, canned goods, boxed items, deli, and bakery,
> and I tell the cashier and/or bagger that I want them bagged that
> way. It makes everything much easier to unpack and put away at home
> and even the destination of the various bags.

Where I shop there is the usual conveyer belt thing to get the items to the
cashier for scanning, but then it turns a carousel for bagging. The items
don't tend to stay in the order in which I've separated them. The good
baggers know not to just grab whatever off that carousel and stick it in a
bag. The bad ones don't pay any attention, they just grab the next thing.

Jill

D.Currie wrote:

> Worst I ever experienced was when the bagger put a container of cottage
> cheese on the bottom, sideways, and put something heavy on top. Of course
> the cottage cheese popped open and spewed all over the bag.

My worst is the three avocadoes that arrived home as guacamole - all
over the bottom of the bag. What else was in the bag with my avocadoes?
Cilantro, apples, bag of potatoes, onions, and bananas.

I really like my current grocery store (Kroger). They know how to bag.
They separate 'light' produce - my lettuce, pears, mushrooms,
tomatoes, peaches, avocadoes, easily smushable items - from 'heavy'
produce - the winter squash, potatoes, turnips, melons, etc. They keep
dairy and 'fridge items bagged together; they bag frozen stuff
together; they keep cleaning products on their own as well.

And when I end up in a lane with no bagger and begin bagging it all
myself, a bagger always appears quickly and takes over. Nice touch.

Mkaes a big difference in liking the store you shop at!

"D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>> Heh, pulled out the porterhouse steak for dinner ... lying
>> flat underneath it was my bag of candy. Oh, yuck.
>> I'm thinking, chicken and cow juice all over my Twizzler
>> bag.

> Worst I ever experienced was when the bagger put a container of cottage
> cheese on the bottom, sideways, and put something heavy on top. Of course
> the cottage cheese popped open and spewed all over the bag.

Oh, that must have been so pleasant to clean up.

nancy

aem wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>

>>I would call the store, and see about getting a refund. That's
>>completely unacceptable (and this is coming from someone who has worked
>>as a supermarket cashier).
>>

> Oh, come on, "completely unacceptable"? Sure the novice bagger blew
> it but then it took Nancy another day to find a package of licorice
> underneath the porterhouse!? Whose fault is that? Don't you sort
> things out when you get back from the store? -aem

I do, but when I worked as a cashier/bagger in a gorcery store, I knew
better than to put candy under packages of meats. If I plan on using
beef within a few days, sometimes I leave it in the plastic grocery bag
to prevent leaks in the fridge. Sometimes I worry that I'll be seen a s
a ***** for being very specific on how I want my stuff bagged, but it
beats having to wash off packages or having to call and complain.

--

Nancy Young wrote:
> They have some new cashiers at the store, and a couple of
> them have been bagging, I guess it's a training thing. Baggers
> aren't especially usual around here.

Grrr, I hate it when I stack all my frozen & cooler stuff first, and
when I check my bags there is a different frozen & cooler item or two in
each bag along with my bread/potato chips/or box of cereal also
separated out into different bags. Don't they think?

Denise~* wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> They have some new cashiers at the store, and a couple of
>> them have been bagging, I guess it's a training thing. Baggers
>> aren't especially usual around here.

> Grrr, I hate it when I stack all my frozen & cooler stuff first, and
> when I check my bags there is a different frozen & cooler item or two in
> each bag along with my bread/potato chips/or box of cereal also
> separated out into different bags. Don't they think?

For the wages most supermarkets pay, sadly, you can't really expect
people to work very hard. Of course, I see myself as an exception to
this, but if I slacked off all day I'd get way too bored. I've told
people this and they thought I was crazy for not wanting to get paid to
stand around and do nothing.