I'll be back....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Pete Jones, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    Told you so...
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/derwent-cast.jpg

    First ride in 7 weeks, the longest time I've been off the bike in over a decade. Fettled the bike
    first, altering lever poitions and swapping the cables round so the front brake is on my left (good)
    hand. Only riding tarmac for the time being, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

    to apply the main brake with their left hand? It's just.......wrong.

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Pete Jones wrote:
    > Told you so... http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/derwent-cast.jpg
    >
    > First ride in 7 weeks, the longest time I've been off the bike in over a decade. Fettled the bike
    > first, altering lever poitions and swapping the cables round so the front brake is on my left
    > (good) hand. Only riding tarmac for the time being, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    >

    > to apply the main brake with their left hand? It's just.......wrong.

    Keep riding without a helmet and you'll have more than your hand to worry about. Now that is really
    f*ing freaky.

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:57:12 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones wrote:

    > to apply the main brake with their left hand? It's just.......wrong.

    Being left-handed, it feels right to me. :) The choice to have it on the left probably has a lot to
    do with motorcycle throttles being on the right.

    Rental bikes must drive you nuts.

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:05:43 -0500, Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    > Keep riding without a helmet and you'll have more than your hand to worry about. Now that is
    > really f*ing freaky.

    A significant number of the riders I saw in Europe weren't wearing helmets. Maybe its just in the US
    that people feel the overwhelming need to control others' helmet-wearing.

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Told you so... http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/derwent-cast.jpg
    >
    > First ride in 7 weeks, the longest time I've been off the bike in over a decade. Fettled the bike
    > first, altering lever poitions and swapping the cables round so the front brake is on my left
    > (good) hand. Only riding tarmac for the time being, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

    Good to hear it fella!

    > to apply the main brake with their left hand? It's just.......wrong.

    Some retarded forners I suppose.

    Shaun aRe

  6. "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:05:43 -0500, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >
    > > Keep riding without a helmet and you'll have more than your hand to
    worry
    > > about. Now that is really f*ing freaky.
    >
    > A significant number of the riders I saw in Europe weren't wearing helmets. Maybe its just in the
    > US that people feel the overwhelming need
    > control others' helmet-wearing.

    <insert typical helmet-will-save-your-life mythology and subsequent debunking here>

    <insert if-you-don't wear-a-helmet-you-don't-have-anything-to-protect pap here

  7. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:05:43 -0500, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > >
    > > > Keep riding without a helmet and you'll have more than your hand to
    > worry
    > > > about. Now that is really f*ing freaky.
    > >
    > > A significant number of the riders I saw in Europe weren't wearing helmets. Maybe its just in
    > > the US that people feel the overwhelming need
    > > control others' helmet-wearing.
    >
    > <insert typical helmet-will-save-your-life mythology and subsequent debunking here>

    <insert typical anything-Fagerlin-doesn't-like-it's-a-myth right here>

    ---
    International Bicycle 5326 E Independence Blvd Charlotte, NC 28212 http://intbike.com 704 535-5501

    Release Date: 2/11/04

  8. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:

    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >
    >>On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:05:43 -0500, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >>

    >>>Keep riding without a helmet and you'll have more than your hand to
    >
    > worry
    >
    >>>about. Now that is really f*ing freaky.
    >>
    >>A significant number of the riders I saw in Europe weren't wearing helmets. Maybe its just in the
    >>US that people feel the overwhelming need

    >>control others' helmet-wearing.
    >

    > <insert typical helmet-will-save-your-life mythology and subsequent debunking here>
    >
    > <insert if-you-don't wear-a-helmet-you-don't-have-anything-to-protect pap
    > here>

    now repeat 800 times and that should just about finish this thread

  9. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:05:43 -0500, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >>
    >>> Keep riding without a helmet and you'll have more than your hand to worry about. Now that is
    >>> really f*ing freaky.
    >>
    >> A significant number of the riders I saw in Europe weren't wearing helmets. Maybe its just in the
    >> US that people feel the overwhelming need to control others' helmet-wearing.
    >
    > <insert typical helmet-will-save-your-life mythology and subsequent debunking here>
    >
    > <insert if-you-don't wear-a-helmet-you-don't-have-anything-to-protect pap here>

    Wrong Pete. They do and did for me. I've got the cracked in half helmet and intact head to prove it.

  10. "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > <insert typical anything-Fagerlin-doesn't-like-it's-a-myth right here>

    Tsk, tsk, tsk.

    Very poor form there blubberpuss.

    It has nothing to do with what I like or don't like.

    It's a fact that very many people believe the "courage for your head" and think that a helemt will
    save their lives in serious bike accidents.

    Since you are someone who has invested a great deal in believing myths, I can see why the term
    causes you distress.

  11. "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...

    > >> A significant number of the riders I saw in Europe weren't wearing helmets. Maybe its just in
    > >> the US that people feel the overwhelming need to control others' helmet-wearing.
    > >
    > > <insert typical helmet-will-save-your-life mythology and subsequent debunking here>
    > >
    > > <insert if-you-don't wear-a-helmet-you-don't-have-anything-to-protect pap here>
    >
    > Wrong Pete. They do and did for me. I've got the cracked in half helmet and intact head to
    > prove it.

    ROTFLMAO!

    Speaking of myths...

    How do you know the helmet saved your life? (a cracked helmet is not proof)

    What do you know about the protection offered by styrofoam hats that the DESIGNERS, TESTING
    STANDARDS FOLKS, EXPERTS in the field, etc. don't know? (I'm sure that they wold be VERY interested
    in your research!)

    etc.

    etc.

    etc.

  12. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:33:06 -0600, kantspel wrote:
    > p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:

    >> <insert typical helmet-will-save-your-life mythology and subsequent debunking here>
    >>
    >> <insert if-you-don't wear-a-helmet-you-don't-have-anything-to-protect pap
    >> here>
    >>
    > now repeat 800 times and that should just about finish this thread

    ...and make it in line with simliar helmet threads.

    This thread was really about Pete Jones finally getting back on his his bike, anyway. And that's a
    good thing.

  13. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    p e t e f a g e r l i n stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who
    would listen : >>>
    >>> <insert if-you-don't wear-a-helmet-you-don't-have-anything-to-protect pap here>
    >>
    >> Wrong Pete. They do and did for me. I've got the cracked in half helmet and intact head to
    >> prove it.
    >
    > ROTFLMAO!
    >
    > Speaking of myths...
    >
    > How do you know the helmet saved your life? (a cracked helmet is not proof)
    >
    > What do you know about the protection offered by styrofoam hats that the DESIGNERS, TESTING
    > STANDARDS FOLKS, EXPERTS in the field, etc. don't know? (I'm sure that they wold be VERY
    > interested in your research!)
    >
    > etc.
    >
    > etc.
    >
    > etc.

    yep... there's things like mechanism of injury, impact and velocicy that a helmet will not protect
    you from. It's not a magic bullet.

    penny

  14. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:N_2dnXLFwO2M9N7dRVn-
    > [email protected]
    >>
    >> p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
    >>> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >>> berlin.de...

    >>> <insert typical helmet-will-save-your-life mythology and subsequent debunking here>
    >>>
    >>> <insert if-you-don't wear-a-helmet-you-don't-have-anything-to-protect pap here>
    >>
    >> Wrong Pete. They do and did for me. I've got the cracked in half helmet and intact head to
    >> prove it.
    >
    > ROTFLMAO!
    >
    > Speaking of myths...
    >
    > How do you know the helmet saved your life? (a cracked helmet is not proof)
    >
    > What do you know about the protection offered by styrofoam hats that the DESIGNERS, TESTING
    > STANDARDS FOLKS, EXPERTS in the field, etc. don't know? (I'm sure that they wold be VERY
    > interested in your research!)
    >
    > etc.
    >
    > etc.
    >
    > etc.

    Then you must be using a helmet just so you can shoot your videos. And all the people you film in
    your videos are wearing helmets as a fashion statement, right? You don't play the liberal
    hipocritical fool too well. I respect you, Pete. You do a great job on the photos and videos and
    I've learned a lot from them. But, this is one subject you are not thinking clearly on. Let me drop
    a brinck from only one foot about your head without a helment on. What do you think would happen?

    No, a helmet won't save you from paralysis or face crunches, but I would certainly like an extra
    layer of something between my head and the ground, even if it is only styrofoam.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  15. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > <insert typical anything-Fagerlin-doesn't-like-it's-a-myth right here>
    >
    > Tsk, tsk, tsk.
    >
    > Very poor form there blubberpuss.
    >
    > It has nothing to do with what I like or don't like.
    >
    > It's a fact that very many people believe the "courage for your head" and think that a helemt will
    > save their lives in serious bike accidents.
    >
    > Since you are someone who has invested a great deal in believing myths, I can see why the term
    > causes you distress.

    You are the one so invested in whether people believe in something that you have deemed to be a
    myth. You take this up on three points, greasing tapers, wheel building and something to do with
    soft frames. I've changed my mind on one item based on logical arguments. I have not, however,
    changed my mind about how I build wheels simply because I have not had any reason to change my mind.

    This third item is still a mystery to me. I had to guess at what you were talking about and I'm
    certain I guessed wrong. I just don't have much invested in any argument about soft frames. It's
    never really come up outside of this venue.

    Like I said, I've changed my mind based on reasonable discourse, not your name calling.

    ---
    International Bicycle 5326 E Independence Blvd Charlotte, NC 28212 http://intbike.com 704 535-5501

    Release Date: 2/11/04

  16. "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Then you must be using a helmet just so you can shoot your videos. And
    all
    > the people you film in your videos are wearing helmets as a fashion statement, right? You don't
    > play the liberal hipocritical fool too well.

    Then you must lack critical thinking skills.

    Where have I ever claimed that I wear a helemt because I think it's going to save my life?

    Where have I ever written that helmets don't offer any portection?

    Perhaps you should think about those questions a bit, lest you make yourself look like a fool once
    again (remember your strident denounciation of people who would be so reckless as to hang their
    bicycle by the WHEELS?).

    > respect you, Pete. You do a great job on the photos and videos and I've learned a lot from them.
    > But, this is one subject you are not thinking clearly on. Let me drop a brinck from only one foot
    > about your head
    without
    > a helment on. What do you think would happen?

    I wouldn't die.

    And I am thinking quite clearly thank you very much. Perhaps you should carve out a day, type
    "helmets' into Google for rec.bicycles.tech, .soc, .misc and educate yourself.

    > No, a helmet won't save you from paralysis or face crunches, but I would certainly like an extra
    > layer of something between my head and the ground, even if it is only styrofoam.

    Do you wear a helmet when you take a shower? How about when you dirve your car?

  17. "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote
    in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > <insert typical anything-Fagerlin-doesn't-like-it's-a-myth right here>
    > >
    > > Tsk, tsk, tsk.
    > >
    > > Very poor form there blubberpuss.
    > >
    > > It has nothing to do with what I like or don't like.
    > >
    > > It's a fact that very many people believe the "courage for your head"
    and
    > > think that a helemt will save their lives in serious bike accidents.
    > >
    > > Since you are someone who has invested a great deal in believing myths,
    > > can see why the term causes you distress.
    >
    > You are the one so invested in whether people believe in something that
    you
    > have deemed to be a myth.

    Nope.

    I merely an amused by folks who believe in myths, and get evangelical about their silliness.

    Like I'm amused by you blubberpuss.

  18. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:33:42 -0500, "Ride-A-Lot"
    <[email protected]> blathered:

    >No, a helmet won't save you from paralysis or face crunches, but I would certainly like an extra
    >layer of something between my head and the ground, even if it is only styrofoam.

    Du-u-ude

    You need to review your attitude towards risk assessment.
    http://www.schnauzers.ws/mitchBike280X200.jpg How can I put this? Your diet's gonna kill you a lot
    quicker than not wearing a helmet's gonna kill me.

    You've been cycling for four WHOLE years? Wow, you must be an expert by now. That's my lucky hat I'm
    wearing in that picture - figure it's seen me three times across the Himalaya without a helmet, so I
    must be doing something right. Wish I'd been wearing it 7 weeks ago, mind - maybe your time would be
    better spent nagging people to wear body armour?

    Pete

  19. BB says:

    >Pete Jones wrote:
    >

    >> to apply the main brake with their left hand? It's just.......wrong.
    >
    >Being left-handed, it feels right to me. :)

    My thoughts precisely.

    >The choice to have it on the left probably has a lot to do with motorcycle throttles being on
    >the right.

    Except that mo'bike front brakes are on the right. Clutch is the left hand. Makes sense to keep all
    the braking functions on oe side of the bike, and all the shifting stuff on the other.

    Steve

  20. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Pete Jones wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:33:42 -0500, "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> blathered:

    >> No, a helmet won't save you from paralysis or face crunches, but I would certainly like an extra
    >> layer of something between my head and the ground, even if it is only styrofoam.
    >
    > Du-u-ude
    >
    > You need to review your attitude towards risk assessment.
    > http://www.schnauzers.ws/mitchBike280X200.jpg How can I put this? Your diet's gonna kill you a lot
    > quicker than not wearing a helmet's gonna kill me.
    >
    > You've been cycling for four WHOLE years? Wow, you must be an expert by now. That's my lucky hat
    > I'm wearing in that picture - figure it's seen me three times across the Himalaya without a
    > helmet, so I must be doing something right. Wish I'd been wearing it 7 weeks ago, mind - maybe
    > your time would be better spent nagging people to wear body armour?
    >

    > Pete

    I never claimed to be an expert (very far from it) and yes, diet would probably kill me faster. What
    can I say, you've been lucky. More power to you.