I'll be in Cape May, NJ, USA. Do you have thoughts on biking in the area ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Paul, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Howdy,

    I'll be vacationing with about 20 family members in Cape May next week. I figure I will need to get
    away from them sometime during the week :) As far as I know I will be riding by myself, unless
    someone rents a bike down there.

    Are the roads decent for biking ? By that I mean with wide enough shoulders. I am use to riding on
    roads with lots of traffic so I am not concerned with that. Ok, I am a little concerned but if I'm
    out before rush hour or the other vacationers get moving then I will be alright.

    I am use to riding hilly areas like the Mid Hudson Valley, and Southern Jersey seems rather flat, so
    my usual distance of 15-20 miles seems like a nice morning ride. (No, I'm not a powerful rider)

    I've been there before, but other than driving into town on the Parkway, I have little knowledge of
    the roads. I do remember going to a light house on the Delaware bay side of the peninsula. That
    would be a good ride, maybe a little short though.

    Thanks for any info, Paul

    Tags:

  2. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    You should have a very enjoyable time. Vacationing motorists seem to be more aware of their
    surroundings (and cyclists) than when they're driving around their own city. The only scary cycling
    moments I've had were dodging inexperienced bicyclists! You will also discover that you can get most
    anywhere in the town quicker on a bike than by car.

    There's a nasty little metal bridge on 109 leading into the town, and of course you'll want to stay
    off the major roads. Most of the three-digit roads don't have shoulders, but I have found that the
    locals are accustomed to the tourists.

    My wife & I visit the area every year; next month there's four women and I sharing a house up the
    road in Sea Isle City, NJ. I empathize with your requirement for some "quality time"!

    There is an interesting aviation museum at the Cape May County Airport, and I also suggest a trip to
    the county animal shelter. The facility is rather primitive, so don't forget a couple of dollars for
    their donation slot. These are only a few miles from the town center. Yes, there are no hills, but
    there sure is wind!

    If you don't presently use it, this would be a good opportunity to try a dry chain lube.

    I can't say enough good things about the Jersey Cape, and I'm flabbergasted that people choose to
    drive hundreds of miles to the Outer Banks, for example.

    e-mail me (without the numerals) for restaurant recommendations.

    Bernie