I'll never again buy another Specialized thin tube

p38lightning

Apr 19, 2004
Not long ago I bought 2 Specialized brand thin tubes in 700c 18-25 size with short Presta valves. I shouldn't have asked for the short valves as this is what caused me to get the thin tubes. I have used many brands of standard thickness tubes over the years without problems, including some Shrader valve ones bought for $2.25 in 27" at a supermarket! Yes the thin tubes were well powdered. First time, I installed one on the back, pressurized to 100 PSI,
which is minimum pressure on my Vittoria Rubino Intrepids. I got about 3 miles out and the tube blew. I found a pencil lead size ragged hole in the tube, not the result of a puncture. Well, I'm about 260Lbs so I dismissed it as a poor choice for a rider my weight.

Today I needed to change tubes and the Specialzed thin was the only one I had on hand. Since it was for the front and there is less weight on the front I thought I'd try again. This time I never even got the bike turned over again, the tube blew out on initial inflation (100PSI). I am positive of the accuracy of my pump's gage as I have compared it to my MT bike air fork pump gage and it is spot on.

So I'm out about $10 and I'll never buy then again. My concern in writing this is the safety of all of you, especially you competition ''burners". What if this happened in a 35mph curve going down hill in a pack?

If I were you I'd avoid these "LIKE THE PLAGUE".

p38lightning said:
If I were you I'd avoid these "LIKE THE PLAGUE".
Brad Pitt told me 1,000,000,000,000 times never to drop names, never exagerate, and avoid cliches like the plague.

I'm not sure about Specialized, but super light tubes just ain't worth it.

I've had the 53g Continental Supersonics and the 70g Tioga Super lights, and they were just too much trouble.

I now use Vredestein Race, which are about 100g, and they've been great.