Illegal Actions Red Lights

beauyboy

Jun 6, 2006
Ok this is a poll to see how many do illegal actions. THis one will be goin thru a red light. I have only given two options cos in the face of the law there is only two out comes. However this is only if you ran it on perpose not because u had not enought time to stop from the light changing to quick.

Beauyboy

I voted yes. i dont do it all the time, but yes I do it. A lot of the time is when the light is yellow and I floor it, which is running the light.

Nope, never and a couple of times I've actually gotten off my bike and WALKED across the pedestrian crossing.
eek.gif

I also voted yes however I normally dont. Having said that I will run a yellow and will go through a red when I can see it is completely safe or the pads for the lights havent registered me and I have waited a couple of changes of lights when waiting to turn right for example.

I did vote no, but that is with one exception.

The set of lights at the end of my street will not register my bike and at 0600 in the morning when I am the only sole on the road I am left with no choice but to nip through them. :(

beauyboy said:
i have to say i am surprised with the result so far.

Beauyboy
I take it you were expecting more "yes" votes? Nah, all you're going to get are us goody-two-shoes types who always do the right thing when we are on our bikes.
biggrin.gif

I'll run a red early in the morn at certain lights where they stay red until a car pulls up. Otherwise it doesn't hurt to wait a little.

I voted no, but there's a right turn arrow nearby that I've run cos it doesn't seem to register... early morning, noone around and I got sick of sitting there after a few changes.

I often ride really early in the morning. The problem of red lights that don't detect bikes is common on my routes. Sometimes that can be fixed by pushing a pedrestian button.

Bunches don't like been broken up either.

artemidorus said:
Sounds like a lot of "no" votes should have been "yes"...

If the question was taken literately, then you are quite right, I think that the way people are interpreting the question is whether you treat running a red light as a normal occurrence rather then an exception.

The red light in the morning is the only one I will go through as I have no choice. There is no alternate route, no pedestrian crossing and a great deal of time between cars. Even the bunches I ride with stop at lights and I wont ride with the bunches that regularly do run the lights on principle. Plus it makes all riders look bad as well as being down right dangerously stupid.

jcjordan said:
Even the bunches I ride with stop at lights and I wont ride with the bunches that regularly do run the lights on principle
I haven't seen any bunches run the red light, in the bunch reaching a red light and just going thru. What does happen is that the bunch is part way thru the light when it goes red causing it to be split.

jcjordan said:
I did vote no, but that is with one exception.

The set of lights at the end of my street will not register my bike and at 0600 in the morning when I am the only sole on the road I am left with no choice but to nip through them. :(
Yep same situation for me, some interesections will sense a cyclist and change, others won't and its unrealistic to wait 5 mins for a car to turn up.

heres a little trick they dont tell you

most lights if they ahve the vehicle register in the road will register cycles just ride along the little line in the pavement (be sure its the one closest to the kerb)

also make sure your bike tyres are on the line and presto youll be registered

I have to say i have never had anytrouble with the lights registering me yet. Mind you there is a set of lights up the top of Roma Street Parkland that they have put in a push button in for cyclists to press if the on road senser does not detect them.

Beauyboy

Jeytown said:

most lights if they ahve the vehicle register in the road will register cycles just ride along the little line in the pavement (be sure its the one closest to the kerb)

I have heard that one before and to be honest I dont think that it works. I guess it depends on whether its a magnetic or weight sensor.

Depends if you call "riding across slowly with pedestrians" running the red.I do that all the time.

never have and after being collected by a volvo which ran the red i never will. i cant see the point, you cant be in that much of a hurry or trainings that important to do it

Jeytown said:

Jeytown

Thanks have tried it for the last two nights and on both the sets of TCL's I have problems with and it works..... much happier not running reds if I can avoid it