Illegal Cycling

grandamn

Apr 18, 2011
I had a great ride today from Wantagh to Cedar Beach. The only problem was once I got to Ocean Parkway I saw a million signs that said "No Cycling". I had to make it to beach blast and wasn't going to turn around so I started to ride down Ocean Parkway. I honestly feel it was the nicest and calmest ride I have every completed. I was able to smell the saltwater and had a great breeze. I passed two state troopers and waved hello to both of them and they were fine and didn't say anything to me. I was in my Omega Pharma Lotto gear and was wondering if that's why no one said anything to me. Does anyone else ride on roads they are not supposed to? I'm assuming NY state doesn't want you to ride on the road so your forced to pay for parking at the beaches.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111629998

Originally Posted by grandamn .

I had a great ride today from Wantagh to Cedar Beach. The only problem was once I got to Ocean Parkway I saw a million signs that said "No Cycling". I had to make it to beach blast and wasn't going to turn around so I started to ride down Ocean Parkway. I honestly feel it was the nicest and calmest ride I have every completed. I was able to smell the saltwater and had a great breeze. I passed two state troopers and waved hello to both of them and they were fine and didn't say anything to me. I was in my Omega Pharma Lotto gear and was wondering if that's why no one said anything to me. Does anyone else ride on roads they are not supposed to? I'm assuming NY state doesn't want you to ride on the road so your forced to pay for parking at the beaches.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111629998
Not being able to ride there sounds ridiculous.

I cut through a Hospital parking lot once only to find a sign that said "no bicycles". The health & hospital corporation doing us right! The health & hospital corp letting the lawyers and accountants have their way.

I rode on the new highway that they were building a couple miles from my house before it was open to traffic. Does that count? It was easy to slip past the Road Closed signs and take off. I had six lanes all to myself for about four miles on a Sunday when no one was working on it. They eventually started patrolling it after some kids moved the Road Closed signs and spent a couple hours drag racing on it.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

I rode on the new highway that they were building a couple miles from my house before it was open to traffic. Does that count? It was easy to slip past the Road Closed signs and take off. I had six lanes all to myself for about four miles on a Sunday when no one was working on it. They eventually started patrolling it after some kids moved the Road Closed signs and spent a couple hours drag racing on it.
We had about four miles of new road. While they were working on it I rode it almost every day. Got to be friends with several
of the workers. I asked if it was a problem with me riding there and they said, just watch out for the equipment. The sheriffs
department is on that section of highway and there were sheriff cars all the time, nothing was ever said, they just waved
as they went by.
I think if you act responsible, you get treated the same. There is a church here with "No Bicycle, No Skate Boards" signs in the parking lot.
I cut through there all the time. Not on Sundays when there are a lot of people.

Originally Posted by BHOFM .

There is a church here with "No Bicycle, No Skate Boards" signs in the parking lot.
I cut through there all the time. Not on Sundays when there are a lot of people.
Around 15 or 16 years ago my son was out riding his bike when he stopped in a church parking lot. A guy in a pick up truck approached my son and got out of his truck and threw his bike in the back of his truck. The guy told my son if he wanted his bike back he would have to come get it with one of his parents and gave my son the address as he took off. My son walked home a few miles crying about his bike being stolen. We jumped in my truck and headed right over. Turns out this guy was a janitor at the church and he was sick of kids riding bikes on the property. I used quite a bit of prophanity as I lit up into this guy I had threathened to get the police invovled seeing as the taking of my sons bike would be considered grand theft. I still see kids riding in their parking lot today. I wonder how many bikes he has impounded since.

It appears Ocean Parkway is a limited access road. And bicycles are not allowed.

---

For those who ignore bicycle prohibitions on private property - churches and shopping centers:

I would suggest you realize that those areas are privately owned and you have no right to be on them. I suspect you would be upset if a bunch of bicyclists took over your private property. And you don't even have it posted.

Now that I look at the picture of this, the sign appears to mean No Bicycles on the walks, ?

The sign is some distance from the parking lot entrance. And there is access to the bike
path on the other side of the parking lot. During the week I have seen people park in the
lot with bikes on racks and leave the car there while they went riding. The lot is huge!

Your call?

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

It appears Ocean Parkway is a limited access road. And bicycles are not allowed.

---

For those who ignore bicycle prohibitions on private property - churches and shopping centers:

I would suggest you realize that those areas are privately owned and you have no right to be on them. I suspect you would be upset if a bunch of bicyclists took over your private property. And you don't even have it posted.

Maybe one of your local churhes can take your grandsons bike. Thou shall not steal. Personally I stay to the public roadways that are open to cyclist.

Originally Posted by rawhite1969 .

I cut through a Hospital parking lot once only to find a sign that said "no bicycles". The health & hospital corporation doing us right! The health & hospital corp letting the lawyers and accountants have their way.
Private property. Their property, their rules. Same as you would expect someone in your home to respect your rules, i.s. smoking in your house. Public roads are a different matter, check your state and local ordinances.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Maybe one of your local churhes can take your grandsons bike. Thou shall not steal. Personally I stay to the public roadways that are open to cyclist.
It is common where ever I have lived for adults to take items - bb guns, and such, that kids are misusing. It is also common for them to return those items to the parents along with an explanation.

It seems you are taking this a bit to personal. The janitor could have called the police and had them handle the situation. I think your profanity would have been more controlled.

It is common where ever I have lived for adults to take items - bb guns, and such, that kids are misusing. It is also common for them to return those items to the parents along with an explanation.

It seems you are taking this a bit to personal. The janitor could have called the police and had them handle the situation. I think your profanity would have been more controlled.
Maybe he could have thrown my son into his truck and added a little kidnapping. I would have been happy if he called the Police in the first place. I am sure the local police would have given my son a little talking to and sent him on his way. We are talking about a kid riding his bike not a kid shooting a gun.

A kid doing something dangerous, a kid defacing property, sure. A kid riding his bike? Nfw. the janitor is lucky he didn't get his ass kicked. He will someday.

Has anyone ever been ticketed for riding on a road that is closed to cycling? Doesn't a cyclist have the same rights as a motorist?

This is correct.

On what roads is bicycling permitted?
  • Bicyclists have the legal right to share the road on most public highways, but it is prohibited on interstate highways and expressways (Sec. 1229-a of the Vehicle and Traffic Law and Sec. 316 of the Highway Law). In addition, authorities with jurisdiction over other controlled-access highways may prohibit bicycles (Sec. 109, and Sec. 1621(a)(2), 1641(1) and 1660(12)). Localities often prohibit bicycling on sidewalks. However, some local ordinances do permit children to bicycle on sidewalks. For your safety and that of pedestrians, however, you should avoid busy city sidewalks whether or not restricted by law.
nevermind