Illegal substance?

matt_ttu

Apr 7, 2003
Why is Cortisone a banned substance. I believe it is adminstered locally. Many sports allow Cortisone shots to athletes who have suffered sprains and deep bruises. Just wondering what Cycling has against it?

i dont know why its on the list, but i think that cortisone should be on some form of presribed doctors list where the race doctors (not the team doctors) could prescribe it. the use for bee stings(jonathon vaughters or ekimov today) should surely be allowed?

incidently i was watching itvs coverage in the uk and they had an interview with chris carmichael (lances coach) who was saying how lance would prepare for towmorrow and he said lance would use lactate acid supressants? what could lance legally use for this?

martin

Originally posted by gymbob
lance would use lactate acid supressants? what could lance legally use for this?

Baking soda? I forget how effective it is (not very?), but I don't think it's banned.

There are two conflicting studies on the use of baking soda for lactic acid buffering that I am aware of. One said it was of no use, the other found some increase in performance for events greater than 1 minute and less than 7 minutes.

Either way, the user will suffer massive and violent diarrhea within 15-30 minutes that may leave them somewhat dehydrated. As well there are long term risks to repeated use because of a condition known as 'rebound hyperacidity' which tricks the stomach into producing large amounts of acid in order to find proper pH due to the base solution. Long term users suffer from bloody stools and intestinal damage.

Taking a substance that jeopardizes a rider's health or creates an unfair advantage should be considered doping whether it is allowed by the UCI or not.

Diarrhoea following baking soda. Could this be the reason Lance lost 7kg in the first ITT in the Tour? Sure it was hot but there is no possible way you can lose 7kg in 62 minutes just from sweating alone. So either he had diarrhoea or was taking diuretics???