Illegals Who Were Deported, But Returned, Face 25 Years Each In Prison

don Gabacho

Guest
Agents arrest illegal workers at construction site
By DEREK L. KINNER
Staff Writer

PALM COAST -- Three illegal immigrants are facing possible 25-year
prison terms and 37 others could be on their way home after U.S.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement special agents raided the Ocean
Towers construction site this week.

Immigration spokeswoman Barbara Gonzalez said the 40 people arrested
are from Honduras, Brazil, El Salvador, Mexico and Peru. They were
working for two subcontractors: Owen Electric Co. Inc. of St. Augustine
and Weston Coatings of Daytona Beach, Gonzalez said. Agents still were
investigating the case Thursday, she said.

"All facets of the incident are being evaluated," Gonzalez said. "In
general, if a company knowingly hires an illegal alien, they are
subject to criminal prosecution."

The three men facing possible prison terms -- Andres Melgar, Julian
Nieto and Cesar Quintanilla, all of Honduras -- were charged with
felonies because they returned to the U.S. after being deported,
officials said.

Gonzalez said the other 37 cases will be handled administratively, with
the people going before a judge who will decide whether they should be
deported. Those kinds of cases can take as little as a few weeks to as
long as years, she said.

"Companies that use cheap, illegal alien labor as a business model
should be on notice," said Robert W. Weber, ICE special agent-in-charge
in Tampa.

The illegal immigrants were working on phases 3 and 4 of the Ocean
Towers at 3 Ocean Crest Drive at Hammock Beach near Palm Coast. Bill
Knox, project manager for the contractor, ACI Construction Services,
said his company has nothing to do with hiring subcontractors'
employees.

"The burden is on the subcontractor to make sure they're hiring legal
residents," Knox said.

Knox said the arrests Tuesday slowed work only temporarily.

"It was a minor speed bump," he said. "They (subcontractors) have
already brought in people from other places to take care of what took
place."

Diego Handel, an attorney with the Daytona Beach law firm Glasser &
Handel, said use of illegal immigrants in Florida is "widespread" for
several reasons.

"I think it's more of the fact that you hear a lot of employers
complain in Florida that it's very tough to get good workers willing to
work," Handel said. "They (illegal immigrants) come from a country
where they can barely eke out a living. They show up, do good work,
sometimes get paid less than those who may have papers. Sometimes, they
(employers) pay them more than they would a U.S. citizen."

He said Florida is a popular destination because of rapid growth.
"Florida's booming. There's jobs all over the place, so people come,"
he said.

Part of Handel's practice is representing people in immigration cases.

"I think that to treat someone as a so-called criminal because they're
trying to work, something about it doesn't seem fair," Handel said.

Handel said construction industry employers find workers, including
illegal immigrants , in various ways, including through employment
agencies, labor pools and word of mouth.

don Gabacho wrote:
> [...]
> work," Handel said. "They (illegal immigrants) come from a country
> where they can barely eke out a living. They show up, do good work,
> sometimes get paid less than those who may have papers. Sometimes, they
> (employers) pay them more than they would a U.S. citizen."
>
> He said Florida is a popular destination because of rapid growth.
> "Florida's booming. There's jobs all over the place, so people come,"
> he said.
>
> Part of Handel's practice is representing people in immigration cases.
>
> "I think that to treat someone as a so-called criminal because they're
> trying to work, something about it doesn't seem fair," Handel said.
>
> Handel said construction industry employers find workers, including
> illegal immigrants , in various ways, including through employment
> agencies, labor pools and word of mouth.

Thanks Don, were they caught on bicycles??

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> don Gabacho wrote:

>> <snipped OT illegal immigrants article>

> Thanks Don, were they caught on bicycles??

Worse. Huffys.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Adler's Distinction:

Actually I posted that to alt.politics.immigration and somehow
somewhere the post migrated to rec.bicycles.tech.

Dane Buson wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> > don Gabacho wrote:

> >> <snipped OT illegal immigrants article>

> > Thanks Don, were they caught on bicycles??

> Worse. Huffys.

Who makes those little Mongooses?

That seems to be the overwhelming choice hereabouts.

It's quite something to see grown-ups with their knees reaching their
ears while peddling.

don Gabacho wrote:
> Dane Buson wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Thanks Don, were they caught on bicycles??

> > Worse. Huffys.

> Who makes those little Mongooses?
>
> That seems to be the overwhelming choice hereabouts.
>
> It's quite something to see grown-ups with their knees reaching their
> ears while peddling.

^^^^^^^^^

Do they find many buyers for their wares?

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

don Gabacho wrote:
> Actually I posted that to alt.politics.immigration and somehow
> somewhere the post migrated to rec.bicycles.tech.

When you post something in the immigrantion group it migrates somewhere
else. Maybe your post was afraid of getting deported by immigrnation.
So, it migrated to the bicycle group which is safer. Here, we don't
care if the posts are documeted or not. We do harbor lots of illegal
posts.

Andres

Johnny Sunset wrote:
> don Gabacho wrote:
> > Dane Buson wrote:

> > > Worse. Huffys.

> > Who makes those little Mongooses?
> >
> > That seems to be the overwhelming choice hereabouts.
> >
> > It's quite something to see grown-ups with their knees reaching their
> > ears while peddling.

> ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Do they find many buyers for their wares?

You could certainly sell plenty of hardshell earmuffs around here.

don Gabacho wrote:
> Actually I posted that to alt.politics.immigration and somehow
> somewhere the post migrated to rec.bicycles.tech.

That's okay, this is bike related. As we start imprisoning "illegals"
for 25 years, our already unsustainable prison population will swell at
a huge expense to out government. As prison spending and education
spending are (I have heard from a former Dept. of Corrections
secretary) inversely proportional, nobody will be able to afford
college tuition anymore. Here in WI, for example, tuition rose 78%
since 2000, which is the year our state began to feel the effects of a
very harsh felony sentencing plan.

So, as we lock up more immigrants for longer periods of time,
middle-class 18 to 22 year olds won't be able to afford good state
universities anymore. With these people gone, there will be no punk
kids to staff bike shops in college towns. That means all the poor
bike shop treatment and service that has been feeding the
self-righteousness of r.b.t. regulars since time immemorial will dry
up. Soon, there will be no bi-weekly "LBS RANT (long)" posts. There
will be no descriptions of "the local wrench not knowing a 9.5mm crank
cotter pin from a positron cable." And nobody will be told that their
custom lugged steel frame that has seen 163 years and 80 trillion miles
of nonstop commuting is a piece of ****. You will all be very
depressed. And you have this immigration policy to thank for it.

-Vee