Illness in England in 1871

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Ellie, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Ellie

    Ellie Guest

    I'm researching family history and have found that my
    greatx4 grandfather's death certficate says that he died
    in 1871 from:

    "emphysema of lungs (3 years), bronchitis (9 months), anasarca (7 months)"

    He lived in a suburb full of Victorian terraced houses all spewing out chimney-smoke, and close to
    industrial Manchester's city-centre.

    What would it have been like to suffer these illnesses? Would the smog-filled air have been
    responsible for his ill-health?

    Ellie

    Tags:

  2. "ellie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm researching family history and have found that my greatx4 grandfather's death certficate says
    >that he died in 1871 from:
    >
    >"emphysema of lungs (3 years), bronchitis (9 months), anasarca (7 months)"
    >
    >He lived in a suburb full of Victorian terraced houses all spewing out chimney-smoke, and close to
    >industrial Manchester's city-centre.
    >
    >What would it have been like to suffer these illnesses? Would the smog-filled air have been
    >responsible for his ill-health?

    Absolutely. It was the height of a coal-fired industrial revolution. Air pollution in England at
    that time was hideously bad, especially in industrial centers like Manchester.