ilovepasta.org

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Serene, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Serene

    Serene Guest

    Came across this site while I was playing with my new MasterCook
    software (there was a recipe in there for angel hair pasta with shrimp
    and sesame sauce -- shall I post it?), and it's pretty neat. I like
    their "pasta improv" page, for telling how much stuff to throw
    together for a pasta dinner (I usually just wing it, but I thought
    some folks might like a link):

    http://ilovepasta.org/pasta_improv.html

    serene

    Tags:

  2. Serene

    Serene Guest

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

  4. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:30:41 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

    >Hey, more than one can compete in this game!!!
    >
    >http://i3.tinypic.com/vo272s.jpg
    >
    >Homemade linguini and pesto!

    Yum! You don't toss your pesto and pasta?

    serene

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:04:47 -0700, Serene wrote:

    > Oh, and I think I'm gonna make this roasted veggie lasagna when I'm up
    > to it:
    >
    > http://ilovepasta.org/recipes/Roasted_Vegetable_Lasagne.html

    Looks good... sounds like you're in recovery now. Hungry, but food
    still isn't sitting well yet.

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

  6. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:54:14 -0700, sf <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:04:47 -0700, Serene wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, and I think I'm gonna make this roasted veggie lasagna when I'm up
    >> to it:
    >>
    >> http://ilovepasta.org/recipes/Roasted_Vegetable_Lasagne.html
    >>

    >Looks good... sounds like you're in recovery now. Hungry, but food
    >still isn't sitting well yet.

    Yep. It's okay, though. I don't mind not eating if I can still enjoy
    food. The first day of this thing, I couldn't even *read* about food
    without getting nauseated.

    serene

  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Serene <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:30:41 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
    >
    >>Hey, more than one can compete in this game!!!
    >>
    >>http://i3.tinypic.com/vo272s.jpg
    >>
    >>Homemade linguini and pesto!

    > Yum! You don't toss your pesto and pasta?
    >
    > serene

    Yeah I do, sorry about the lousy presentation!

    Andy

  8. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:03:15 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

    >Serene <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:

    >> Yum! You don't toss your pesto and pasta?
    >>
    >> serene

    >Yeah I do, sorry about the lousy presentation!

    Not lousy at all. I was just curious. It reminded me of those recipe
    photos where they make manicotti, and the recipe says to bake it
    covered in sauce, but the photo is this pristine white manicotti
    covered with a dollop of red sauce for the photo op. :)

    serene

  9. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Serene <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:03:15 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
    >
    >>Serene <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>news:[email protected]:

    >>> Yum! You don't toss your pesto and pasta?
    >>>
    >>> serene

    >>Yeah I do, sorry about the lousy presentation!

    > Not lousy at all. I was just curious. It reminded me of those recipe
    > photos where they make manicotti, and the recipe says to bake it
    > covered in sauce, but the photo is this pristine white manicotti
    > covered with a dollop of red sauce for the photo op. :)
    >
    > serene

    Oh, I should've mentioned I'm not a photographer, I'm a snapshooter.
    World of difference, imho. ;)

    Andy

  10. Umbrian

    Umbrian Guest

    >>Yeah I do, sorry about the lousy presentation!

    Actually, I don't think pasta with pesto is very pretty, but it is
    awfully good. I always think it should have something red on it, but
    don't want to spoil the taste.
    It falls into my classification (very large) of good things that don't
    look like much.

  11. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

  12. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Serene <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:30:41 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hey, more than one can compete in this game!!!
    >>>
    >>>http://i3.tinypic.com/vo272s.jpg
    >>>
    >>>Homemade linguini and pesto!

    >> Yum! You don't toss your pesto and pasta?
    >>
    >> serene

    > Yeah I do, sorry about the lousy presentation!
    >
    > Andy

    DO NOT APOLOGIZE -- It is beautiful!
    Dee Dee

  13. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:03:15 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
    >
    >>Serene <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>news:[email protected]:

    >>> Yum! You don't toss your pesto and pasta?
    >>>
    >>> serene

    >>Yeah I do, sorry about the lousy presentation!

    > Not lousy at all. I was just curious. It reminded me of those recipe
    > photos where they make manicotti, and the recipe says to bake it
    > covered in sauce, but the photo is this pristine white manicotti
    > covered with a dollop of red sauce for the photo op. :)
    >
    > serene

    Serene, because most photos are of manicotti with a strip of sauce running
    down the middle, that is how I sauce it. Silly, isn't it for me to do so;
    but I make sure there is plenty of sauce available underneath!
    Dee Dee

  14. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Umbrian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >>>Yeah I do, sorry about the lousy presentation!

    > Actually, I don't think pasta with pesto is very pretty, but it is
    > awfully good. I always think it should have something red on it, but
    > don't want to spoil the taste.
    > It falls into my classification (very large) of good things that don't
    > look like much.

    I think it's a fabulous presentation -- nice plating, nice mat. Andy
    could've wiped off the rim -- but he's not working at the French Laundry.
    Yum, Andy.
    Dee Dee

  15. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in news:124544t9tls0eb3
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >> Serene <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>> Oh, and I think I'm gonna make this roasted veggie lasagna when I'm

    up
    >>> to it:
    >>>
    >>> http://ilovepasta.org/recipes/Roasted_Vegetable_Lasagne.html
    >>>
    >>> serene

    >> Hey, more than one can compete in this game!!!
    >>
    >> http://i3.tinypic.com/vo272s.jpg
    >>
    >> Homemade linguini and pesto!
    >>
    >> :p
    >>
    >> Andy

    > Yours, Andy? If so, I hate you! ;-)))
    > Dee Dee

    Dee Dee,

    It was just after I bought my kitchen-aid mixer back in 2004 with the
    pasta attachments. After watching enough food TV shows I finally tried it
    and darn if it wasn't the most fun and delicious and fat and messiest
    pasta I've ever had. I had flour on the ceiling, walls and floor. And
    plus ending up with an 8-foot stretch of linguini... should've paid
    better attention about starting with golf ball sized! That goes to two
    feet.

    Pesto is TOO simple.

    I have a strainer full of basil leaves (no stems) draining as I type. But
    I'm going the barilla-Plus pasta route instead of the homemade pasta mess
    (sniffle).

    Andy

  16. On Sun 16 Apr 2006 09:55:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?

    > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:54:14 -0700, sf <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:04:47 -0700, Serene wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh, and I think I'm gonna make this roasted veggie lasagna when I'm up
    >>> to it:
    >>>
    >>> http://ilovepasta.org/recipes/Roasted_Vegetable_Lasagne.html
    >>>

    >>Looks good... sounds like you're in recovery now. Hungry, but food still
    >>isn't sitting well yet.

    > Yep. It's okay, though. I don't mind not eating if I can still enjoy
    > food. The first day of this thing, I couldn't even *read* about food
    > without getting nauseated.

    Sorry, Sereme, I must have missed it. I didn't know you had been ill. 'Hope
    you're feeling better real soon.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  17. Umbrian

    Umbrian Guest

    I didn't mean Andy's! I mean in general, when it is tossed together
    and all greeny, wormy looking.

  18. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On 16 Apr 2006 21:20:01 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >Sorry, Sereme, I must have missed it. I didn't know you had been ill. 'Hope
    >you're feeling better real soon.

    Thanks!

    ObFood: Am enjoying my MasterCook. Here, have a recipe:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    9 Point Flan

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Dessert

    1 1/4 cups sugar -- divided use
    8 egg yolks -- 8 to 10 total
    13 ounces evaporated milk
    2 tablespoons rum -- or more to taste

    In heavy skillet, slowly heat 3/4 cup sugar until melted and
    caramel-colored. Pour into 5-cup baking dish and carefully swirl to
    line
    dish with caramel. Set aside.

    Beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar. Add evaporated milk and rum to
    taste
    and beat well.

    Turn custard into prepared baking dish. Place dish in pan of hot water
    and
    bake at 350F about 1 hour, or until knife inserted in center comes out
    clean. Cool thoroughly at room temperature. Unmold on serving plate.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 250 Calories; 9g Fat (31.5%
    calories from fat); 6g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
    226mg
    Cholesterol; 56mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk;
    1
    1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0

  19. On Sun 16 Apr 2006 12:39:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?

    > Thanks!
    >
    > ObFood: Am enjoying my MasterCook. Here, have a recipe:
    >

    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > 9 Point Flan

    Thanks! That looks good!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  20. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in news:124544t9tls0eb3
    > @corp.supernews.com:
    >

    >> "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >>> Serene <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>> news:[email protected]:

    > up

    >>> Hey, more than one can compete in this game!!!
    >>>
    >>> http://i3.tinypic.com/vo272s.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Homemade linguini and pesto!
    >>>
    >>> :p
    >>>
    >>> Andy

    >> Yours, Andy? If so, I hate you! ;-)))
    >> Dee Dee

    > Dee Dee,
    >
    > It was just after I bought my kitchen-aid mixer back in 2004 with the
    > pasta attachments. After watching enough food TV shows I finally tried it
    > and darn if it wasn't the most fun and delicious and fat and messiest
    > pasta I've ever had. I had flour on the ceiling, walls and floor. And
    > plus ending up with an 8-foot stretch of linguini... should've paid
    > better attention about starting with golf ball sized! That goes to two
    > feet.
    >
    > Pesto is TOO simple.
    >
    > I have a strainer full of basil leaves (no stems) draining as I type. But
    > I'm going the barilla-Plus pasta route instead of the homemade pasta mess
    > (sniffle).
    >
    > Andy

    You're a lot more industrious than I am. I bought the pasta rollers and as
    yet, it's on my list of things to do (in life!).
    I did see Alton Brown take his (manual) roller out to the porch and use an
    ironing board -- I thought that pretty ingenuous. I used to have the manual
    type, but I couldn't get too enthused. Mario is the reason I bought the KA
    one. I KNOW homemade pasta is better, but --- I'll have to get more
    motivated.
    Dee Dee