i'm a bike maintenance n00b, do i have too much lube on my chain?

sma

Apr 24, 2006
hopefully you can tell from the pics, but there's a bit of grease(?) on my crank now after i tried to lube the chain myself. i used pedro's road rage lubricant. this is after three rides totaling about 100 miles.

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

You've started high with your choice of equipment!
One drop per roller, spin a few times, then wipe as much as you can off the chain with a rag. Wipe the oil off chainrings, etc, or it will attract grit and rubbish.

artemidorus said:
You've started high with your choice of equipment!
One drop per roller, spin a few times, then wipe as much as you can off the chain with a rag. Wipe the oil off chainrings, etc, or it will attract grit and rubbish.
thanks for the advice. will a rag get all the oil off the chainrings?

sma said:
thanks for the advice. will a rag get all the oil off the chainrings?
Should do, with a bit of elbow grease you should get a nice shine. I've never had DA rings, so I've never bothered to maintain a high standard of finish. ;)
If you do use solvent, make sure that you don't get it into the BB cup.

Tire Foam by Armor All should get the bike clean. Saw my LBS using it and gave it a try.

sma said:
any recommendation on what to use to make it spotless?
Been there, done that. Any foaming biodegradable degreaser/cleaner you find at the LBS will do. Dry lube collects less junk too.Nice rig, though.

It's almost impossible not to put on too much. Unless you're wondering if you have enough lube on your chain, you've put on too much.

Retro Grouch said:
It's almost impossible not to put on too much. Unless you're wondering if you have enough lube on your chain, you've put on too much.
i just wasn't sure if i was supposed to have a buildup of grease on the chainring teeth