I'm a little afraid of bread

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ernst Primer, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
    be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
    take) within the past six months.

    I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
    the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
    dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
    worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
    a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
    = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
    cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.

    I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    the stuff?

    260/215/200

    Started LC 4/27/05

    Tags:

  2. Cheri

    Cheri Guest

    I do eat the Sara Lee Delightful on occasion, but not that often. Today
    I had two slices of it when I really should have only had one. I think
    if I ate it everyday, it would be a problem. :)

    --
    Cheri

    Ernst Primer wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...

    > OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
    >be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
    >take) within the past six months.
    >
    > I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
    >the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
    >dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
    >worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
    >a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
    >= 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
    >cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
    >
    > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    >the stuff?
    >
    > 260/215/200
    >
    > Started LC 4/27/05

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
    > be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
    > take) within the past six months.
    >
    > I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
    > the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
    > dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
    > worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
    > a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
    > = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
    > cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
    >
    > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    > the stuff?
    >
    > 260/215/200
    >
    > Started LC 4/27/05

    Yeah.

    Stay that way... ;-)
    --
    Om.

  4. Dusty Bleher

    Dusty Bleher Guest

    "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a
    > while to
    > be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give
    > or
    > take) within the past six months.

    > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way
    > about
    > the stuff?

    Nah! Don't be. As in all things, it's moderation that counts. If
    you're gonna eat bread, make it from as much whole grain as possible
    (and not make a hockey puck), and make it with sourdough. I don't
    recall where I'd first read that. But some years ago I found a
    reference that said that SD bread was lower in carbs (due to action
    of the "critters").

    And then, don't eat half the loaf at a sitting! A slice or two,
    thin, and piled high with your favorite meats and cheeses, and
    you'll do just fine...

    Enjoy!
    DustyB

  5. Bread is not low carb.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
    > be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
    > take) within the past six months.
    >
    > I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
    > the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
    > dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
    > worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
    > a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
    > = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
    > cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
    >
    > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    > the stuff?
    >
    > 260/215/200
    >
    > Started LC 4/27/05

  6. BJ in Texas

    BJ in Texas Guest

    Ernst Primer <[email protected]> wrote:
    || I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same
    || way about the stuff?

    Beware! The evil bread... :)

    --
    "In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the
    world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal." --

  7. "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    <snip>
    > I think I'm scared to eat the bread.

    Good. Be afraid. Personally I'm beginning to realize I can't have it in
    *any* quantities and lose the weight I'd like to. Meat, cheese, and veggies.
    And honestly, I don't miss it that much.

  8. "Dusty Bleher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
    >> be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
    >> take) within the past six months.

    >> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    >> the stuff?

    > Nah! Don't be. As in all things, it's moderation that counts. If you're
    > gonna eat bread, make it from as much whole grain as possible (and not
    > make a hockey puck), and make it with sourdough. I don't recall where I'd
    > first read that. But some years ago I found a reference that said that SD
    > bread was lower in carbs (due to action of the "critters").
    >
    > And then, don't eat half the loaf at a sitting! A slice or two, thin, and
    > piled high with your favorite meats and cheeses, and you'll do just
    > fine...
    >

    > Enjoy!
    > DustyB

    A question: I read "Letter on Corpulence" and Banting seems to think that
    toasting bread lowers the carb count (what he would call "starch"). Does
    anyone know if this is true?

  9. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dusty Bleher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
    >>> be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
    >>> take) within the past six months.

    >>> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    >>> the stuff?

    >> Nah! Don't be. As in all things, it's moderation that counts. If
    >> you're gonna eat bread, make it from as much whole grain as possible (and
    >> not make a hockey puck), and make it with sourdough. I don't recall
    >> where I'd first read that. But some years ago I found a reference that
    >> said that SD bread was lower in carbs (due to action of the "critters").
    >>
    >> And then, don't eat half the loaf at a sitting! A slice or two, thin,
    >> and piled high with your favorite meats and cheeses, and you'll do just
    >> fine...
    >>

    >> Enjoy!
    >> DustyB

    > A question: I read "Letter on Corpulence" and Banting seems to think that
    > toasting bread lowers the carb count (what he would call "starch"). Does
    > anyone know if this is true?

    I don't know if it's true, but I don't believe it.

  10. "I don't know if it's true, but I don't believe it. "

    I would think there is a good chance it's true. The part of toast that
    turns brown/black is burned, that is oxidized by the heat. So I would
    expect there to be less carbs in the surface of the toast than in the
    original bread. But I think the difference is going to be so small
    that it won't make any significant difference in the total carb count
    of the bread. After all, most of the bread remains intact.

  11. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "I don't know if it's true, but I don't believe it. "
    >
    > I would think there is a good chance it's true. The part of toast that
    > turns brown/black is burned, that is oxidized by the heat. So I would
    > expect there to be less carbs in the surface of the toast than in the
    > original bread. But I think the difference is going to be so small
    > that it won't make any significant difference in the total carb count
    > of the bread. After all, most of the bread remains intact.

    Interesting. So even though it's true, I was correct not to believe it. :)

  12. Marsha

    Marsha Guest

    Ernst Primer wrote:

    > I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
    > the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
    > dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
    > worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
    > a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
    > = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
    > cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
    >
    > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    > the stuff?

    You don't need bread, so why eat it?

    Marsha/Ohio

  13. JC would say breAD IS HOW YOU GOT FASI IN THE PLACE

  14. Marsha

    Marsha Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > JC would say breAD IS HOW YOU GOT FASI IN THE PLACE

    I we todd did. I sofa king we todd did.

  15. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    > the stuff?

    My opinion, and it is only an opinion ... if you want it, eat it BUT own
    the results (good bad or neutral) and don't bitch about them later.
    --

    370/260/270
    Confirmed Meatatarian

    email: My foot isn't medium, it's big.

  17. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    Be afraid. IMHO using bread and cereal high fiber substitutes is just the
    first step to returning to a starchy carb diet.

    Most successful low carbers regain their weight after returning to carbs. I
    haven't acted out the process of failure myself, but I suspect that the
    return to carbs begins with these lower carb, but 90% carb foods. There is
    also a tendency to rationalize. It can begin with the desire to believe in
    "good carbs" vs. "bad carbs." Pretty soon the person is fat again.

    At some point many of us lost the craving for carbs. Why risk triggering
    the return?

    Cubit
    320/148.9/?
    male 5' 8"

    "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
    > be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
    > take) within the past six months.
    >
    > I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
    > the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
    > dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
    > worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
    > a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
    > = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
    > cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
    >
    > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    > the stuff?
    >
    > 260/215/200
    >
    > Started LC 4/27/05

  18. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    Marsha wrote:
    > Ernst Primer wrote:
    >
    > > I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
    > > the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
    > > dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
    > > worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
    > > a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
    > > = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
    > > cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
    > >
    > > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    > > the stuff?

    > You don't need bread, so why eat it?
    >
    > Marsha/Ohio

    I don't know...

  19. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    Ernst Primer wrote:
    > Marsha wrote:
    > > Ernst Primer wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
    > > > the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
    > > > dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
    > > > worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
    > > > a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
    > > > = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
    > > > cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
    > > >
    > > > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
    > > > the stuff?

    > > You don't need bread, so why eat it?
    > >
    > > Marsha/Ohio

    > I don't know...

    OK. Someone dare me to throw out the loaf of LC bread. I'll do it. I
    think I might be ready to swear off bread for good.

  20. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ernst Primer wrote:
    > > Marsha wrote:

    > > > You don't need bread, so why eat it?
    > > >
    > > > Marsha/Ohio

    > > I don't know...

    > OK. Someone dare me to throw out the loaf of LC bread. I'll do it. I
    > think I might be ready to swear off bread for good.

    Good move...
    --
    Om.