I'm a little afraid of bread

Ernst Primer

Guest
OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
take) within the past six months.

I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
= 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.

I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
the stuff?

260/215/200

Started LC 4/27/05

I do eat the Sara Lee Delightful on occasion, but not that often. Today
I had two slices of it when I really should have only had one. I think
if I ate it everyday, it would be a problem. :)

--
Cheri

Ernst Primer wrote in message
<[email protected]>...

> OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
>be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
>take) within the past six months.
>
> I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
>the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
>dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
>worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
>a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
>= 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
>cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
>
> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
>the stuff?
>
> 260/215/200
>
> Started LC 4/27/05

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
> be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
> take) within the past six months.
>
> I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
> the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
> dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
> worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
> a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
> = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
> cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
>
> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
> the stuff?
>
> 260/215/200
>
> Started LC 4/27/05

Yeah.

Stay that way... ;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a
> while to
> be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give
> or
> take) within the past six months.

> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way
> about
> the stuff?

Nah! Don't be. As in all things, it's moderation that counts. If
you're gonna eat bread, make it from as much whole grain as possible
(and not make a hockey puck), and make it with sourdough. I don't
recall where I'd first read that. But some years ago I found a
reference that said that SD bread was lower in carbs (due to action
of the "critters").

And then, don't eat half the loaf at a sitting! A slice or two,
thin, and piled high with your favorite meats and cheeses, and
you'll do just fine...

Enjoy!
DustyB

Bread is not low carb.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

"Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
> be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
> take) within the past six months.
>
> I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
> the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
> dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
> worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
> a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
> = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
> cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
>
> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
> the stuff?
>
> 260/215/200
>
> Started LC 4/27/05

Ernst Primer <[email protected]> wrote:
|| I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same
|| way about the stuff?

Beware! The evil bread... :)

--
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the
world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal." --

"Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
<snip>
> I think I'm scared to eat the bread.

Good. Be afraid. Personally I'm beginning to realize I can't have it in
*any* quantities and lose the weight I'd like to. Meat, cheese, and veggies.
And honestly, I don't miss it that much.

"Dusty Bleher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
>> be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
>> take) within the past six months.

>> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
>> the stuff?

> Nah! Don't be. As in all things, it's moderation that counts. If you're
> gonna eat bread, make it from as much whole grain as possible (and not
> make a hockey puck), and make it with sourdough. I don't recall where I'd
> first read that. But some years ago I found a reference that said that SD
> bread was lower in carbs (due to action of the "critters").
>
> And then, don't eat half the loaf at a sitting! A slice or two, thin, and
> piled high with your favorite meats and cheeses, and you'll do just
> fine...
>

> Enjoy!
> DustyB

A question: I read "Letter on Corpulence" and Banting seems to think that
toasting bread lowers the carb count (what he would call "starch"). Does
anyone know if this is true?

"Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dusty Bleher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> OK, so I'm at within 15 pounds of what I've considered for a while to
>>> be a moderately strict goal weight, after losing 45 pounds (give or
>>> take) within the past six months.

>>> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
>>> the stuff?

>> Nah! Don't be. As in all things, it's moderation that counts. If
>> you're gonna eat bread, make it from as much whole grain as possible (and
>> not make a hockey puck), and make it with sourdough. I don't recall
>> where I'd first read that. But some years ago I found a reference that
>> said that SD bread was lower in carbs (due to action of the "critters").
>>
>> And then, don't eat half the loaf at a sitting! A slice or two, thin,
>> and piled high with your favorite meats and cheeses, and you'll do just
>> fine...
>>

>> Enjoy!
>> DustyB

> A question: I read "Letter on Corpulence" and Banting seems to think that
> toasting bread lowers the carb count (what he would call "starch"). Does
> anyone know if this is true?

I don't know if it's true, but I don't believe it.

"I don't know if it's true, but I don't believe it. "

I would think there is a good chance it's true. The part of toast that
turns brown/black is burned, that is oxidized by the heat. So I would
expect there to be less carbs in the surface of the toast than in the
original bread. But I think the difference is going to be so small
that it won't make any significant difference in the total carb count
of the bread. After all, most of the bread remains intact.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "I don't know if it's true, but I don't believe it. "
>
> I would think there is a good chance it's true. The part of toast that
> turns brown/black is burned, that is oxidized by the heat. So I would
> expect there to be less carbs in the surface of the toast than in the
> original bread. But I think the difference is going to be so small
> that it won't make any significant difference in the total carb count
> of the bread. After all, most of the bread remains intact.

Interesting. So even though it's true, I was correct not to believe it. :)

Ernst Primer wrote:

> I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
> the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
> dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
> worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
> a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
> = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
> cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
>
> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
> the stuff?

You don't need bread, so why eat it?

Marsha/Ohio

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
> the stuff?

My opinion, and it is only an opinion ... if you want it, eat it BUT own
the results (good bad or neutral) and don't ***** about them later.
--

370/260/270
Confirmed Meatatarian

email: My foot isn't medium, it's big.

Be afraid. IMHO using bread and cereal high fiber substitutes is just the
first step to returning to a starchy carb diet.

Most successful low carbers regain their weight after returning to carbs. I
haven't acted out the process of failure myself, but I suspect that the
return to carbs begins with these lower carb, but 90% carb foods. There is
also a tendency to rationalize. It can begin with the desire to believe in
"good carbs" vs. "bad carbs." Pretty soon the person is fat again.

At some point many of us lost the craving for carbs. Why risk triggering
the return?

Cubit
320/148.9/?
male 5' 8"

Marsha wrote:
> Ernst Primer wrote:
>
> > I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
> > the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
> > dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
> > worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
> > a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
> > = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
> > cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
> >
> > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
> > the stuff?

> You don't need bread, so why eat it?
>
> Marsha/Ohio

I don't know...

Ernst Primer wrote:
> Marsha wrote:
> > Ernst Primer wrote:
> >
> > > I've probably nibbled the equivalent of maybe a slice of bread over
> > > the past six months (mostly at restaurants, with company), and maybe a
> > > dozen "low carb" tortillas thrown in. This approach has apparently
> > > worked well with me. However, I just recently (on a whim really) bought
> > > a loaf of Oroweat 'Carb Counting' whole wheat bread (9g net - 3g fiber
> > > = 6g / slice) and have been debating a trial sandwich, like grilled
> > > cheese or a BLT, but I'm hesitating.
> > >
> > > I think I'm scared to eat the bread. Anyone feel the same way about
> > > the stuff?

> > You don't need bread, so why eat it?
> >
> > Marsha/Ohio

> I don't know...

OK. Someone dare me to throw out the loaf of LC bread. I'll do it. I
think I might be ready to swear off bread for good.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ernst Primer wrote:
> > Marsha wrote:

> > > You don't need bread, so why eat it?
> > >
> > > Marsha/Ohio

> > I don't know...

> OK. Someone dare me to throw out the loaf of LC bread. I'll do it. I
> think I might be ready to swear off bread for good.

Good move...