I'm a slob, and have had enough of it.

Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:05:11 +0000, congokid
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >With most follow ups my newsreader helpfully renders the quoted bits in
> >red (each line prefixed with a >) and the new interleaved additional
> >text in black, so it's extremely easy in a properly trimmed post, which
> >usually appears in a single screen, to see what's new and what's being
> >referred to.

The key words here are "properly trimmed" though - while there are
top-posters who remember to snip out irrelevant stuff, there are an
awful lot more of them who leave vast swathes of previous posts dangling
below the new text.

> >Quoted parts from before the previous post are in other colours and
> >preceded by >> (or more >).

> Mine also renders them in different colours. However, it's a case of
> where the eye is focusing. A short top post in black tends to merge
> with the attribution line ("On Mon 20 Dec...." etc.)

Indeed. My newsreader also renders different levels of quoting in
different colours, but I also find that top-posts, especially short
ones, look like nothing but quoted text when I'm just trundling through
the group, as it were.

--
Carol
"Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jon Senior wrote:
> > Tony Raven wrote:
> >
> >> As Voltaire might have said "I may not agree with what he says, but I
> >> shall defend to the death his right to say it while reserving the
> >> right to kill file him."

> > The right to say what you want, does not include the right to an audience.
> >
> > I've read something similar as an attributed quote but I can't seem to
> > find it.

> <?>
> The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be
> taken seriously.
>
> Hubert H. Humphrey
> </?>

Also, an approximate quote from an episode of "Blake's Seven":-

Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion!
Avon: Yes. It's your assumption that the rest of us are entitled to it
as well that's so irritating.

--

David Martin wrote:
> On 21/12/04 5:52 am, in article [email protected], "Tony W"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>You missed the Chain -- 22 yards from your exposition!! 1/10 of a furlong.

> That would be half a dozen poles. And to confuse bases, there are exactly
> 100 links to a chain.
>
> This then sets the length of a cricket pitch as being 1 chain.
>
> Road distances in civil engineering are described as 'chainage', even though
> they are measured in meters.
>
> ..d

in the words of (IIRC) George Orwell....

"The Borough Surveyor has gone home to roost
on his rod, his pole or his perch"

Julesh

"Julesh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> in the words of (IIRC) George Orwell....
>
> "The Borough Surveyor has gone home to roost
> on his rod, his pole or his perch"

And the Borough Solicitor has taken his chains to Miss Whiplash??

I have been unable to locate "Seven" by William Blake, do you have
a reference for it?

"Carol Hague" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1gp5dtj.dbsjzf1bbjwu7N%[email protected]...
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Jon Senior wrote:

> > > The right to say what you want, does not include the right to an

audience.

> > > I've read something similar as an attributed quote but I can't seem to
> > > find it.

> > <?>
> > The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be
> > taken seriously.
> >
> > Hubert H. Humphrey
> > </?>

> Also, an approximate quote from an episode of "Blake's Seven":-
>
> Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion!
> Avon: Yes. It's your assumption that the rest of us are entitled to it
> as well that's so irritating.
>
> --
> Carol
> "Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:30:12 +0000, Danny Colyer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[1] The sooner the Fahrenheit scale is consigned to the dustbin of
>history the better, though. I have no problems converting between F and
>C, but I'd rather not have to.

Hot weather degrees F, cold weather degrees C. As a rough guide when
converting C to F I double the fugure and add 30. This gives a close
enough answer for most UK weather temps.

On a similar subject, I was watching an American football match a few
days ago. The wind-chill temperature was stated as being -2F - a bit
nippy.

James

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:46:13 -0000, "half_pint" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Evety point u made was wrong.

So you say. You are in a minority in that view, it seems.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs