I'm a slob, and have had enough of it.

in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:

> Why? (Do you find it shocking, I appreciate why it's 14!) I've never
> really had cause to learn it (And every time I do, I promptly forget
> because I never use it). I understand kg. I have a feeling for kg. I
> have no concept of stone except with regard to human weight.
>
> In fact... why is it 14?

Because.

That is the nature of traditional, organic measuring system. Nobody ever
sat down and said, OK, how can we rationalise this for easy
calculation[1]. You just have to remember:

16 ounces to the pound
14 pounds to the stone
8 stone to the hundredweight
20 hundredweight to the ton.

But be very very careful, because if you are an apothecary or a
goldsmith there are only twelve ounces to the pound. No, I'm serious.
Note also that while a ton is 20 hundredweights (weight) it's also 32
bushels (volume), so you can be reasonably sure that a ton of
polystyrene won't weigh a ton.

And once you are relaxed about that the idea that there are 16.5 feet to
the pole and 40 poles to the furlong won't worry you at all.

Oh, and remember that a mile is 8 furlongs. Unless you're in Ireland,
where it isn't, at all, at all. Or at sea, where it's a bit over ten
cables (but you'll be pleased to know that one cable is 100 fathoms).
Or...

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards

On 20/12/04 12:59 am, in article [email protected], "half_pint"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> He only needs a relatively short distance to do that.
> I don't see how he can do that over 17km.

He wants to calibrate the mileometer to get an accurate measure of the 17km.
The suggestionis to measure the 17km directly.

> I don't know how GPS would measure the distance.

It is called diffential GPS. given a set of coordinates, one can us teh
difference between them to work out the distance.

> does it take into account the curvature of the earth?

You tell met whether the curvature of the earth will be significant over
17km

> even if it did there are hills which make the distance longer
> and also there are bends in the road.

> GPS knows nothing about those things and so would be useless.

*Yawn* GPS measures height as well as polar coordinates.
Tracklogs anyone? Dead easy to interpolate to get a good approximation of
the distance (unless one is trying very hard to weave from side to side on
the road like a seqing machine doing a buttonhole.

...d

On 20/12/04 9:40 am, in article
[email protected], "Simon Brooke"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
> <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:
>
>> Why? (Do you find it shocking, I appreciate why it's 14!) I've never
>> really had cause to learn it (And every time I do, I promptly forget
>> because I never use it). I understand kg. I have a feeling for kg. I
>> have no concept of stone except with regard to human weight.
>>
>> In fact... why is it 14?

> Because.
>
> That is the nature of traditional, organic measuring system. Nobody ever
> sat down and said, OK, how can we rationalise this for easy
> calculation[1]. You just have to remember:
>
> 16 ounces to the pound
> 14 pounds to the stone
> 8 stone to the hundredweight
> 20 hundredweight to the ton.
>
> But be very very careful, because if you are an apothecary or a
> goldsmith there are only twelve ounces to the pound. No, I'm serious.
> Note also that while a ton is 20 hundredweights (weight) it's also 32
> bushels (volume), so you can be reasonably sure that a ton of
> polystyrene won't weigh a ton.

Not if it is expanded. It would if it was hdps.. A bushel is 8 gallons (yes
there are US and UK bushels. Each of which is 8 gallons, and they are
different volumes)

36x32 litres is approx 1000 litres which would be 1 ton of water.

> And once you are relaxed about that the idea that there are 16.5 feet to
> the pole and 40 poles to the furlong won't worry you at all.

11 cubits is possibly easier to remember. Hmm. A rod is the same as a pole.
A furlong is 10 chains, which is 100 links.

> Oh, and remember that a mile is 8 furlongs. Unless you're in Ireland,
> where it isn't, at all, at all. Or at sea, where it's a bit over ten
> cables (but you'll be pleased to know that one cable is 100 fathoms).
> Or...

...d

David Martin wrote:

> 11 cubits is possibly easier to remember. Hmm. A rod is the same
> as a pole.

And a firkin?

--
Dave...

On 20/12/04 10:36 am, in article
[email protected], "dkahn400"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>
>> 11 cubits is possibly easier to remember. Hmm. A rod is the same
>> as a pole.

> And a firkin?

Depends.

For beer and ale it would be a quarter of a barrel. A barrel contains 32 ale
gallons, or 36 beer gallons, the two being different volumes. A beer gallon
is the same as an imperial gallon, so a firkin contains 9 gallons.
The wine gallon is 32 gallons, being on eighth of a tun.

A peck is two gallons, so a peck of pickled pepper is rather a lot.

A firkin of soap was eight gallons but was later adopted as 64 pounds net
weight.

A firkin is also a unit of weight for butter. A firkin of butter weighed 64
pounds gross, with the tare being eight pounds for the barrel so being a
minimum of 56 pounds.

HTH.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> A firkin is also a unit of weight for butter. A firkin of butter
> weighed 64 pounds gross, with the tare being eight pounds for the
> barrel so being a minimum of 56 pounds.

And there was I thinking it was simply a measure of excess, as in too
firkin much, too firkin big...

--
Dave...

In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
[snip]
> Anyone would think you had mistaken uk.rec.cycling for one of the web
> forums which use it as a feed...
>
> Guy

No, just a misguided idiot abusing the T&Cs of a free news
provider. Looking at the headers from a post elsewhere in the thread

From: "half_pint" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
[bits snipped]

indicates that half_pint is using news.individual.net
(http://news.individual.net/) and is paying scant regard to the rules
of use (http://news.individual.net/rules.html).

This has been mentioned in threads before though ISTR.
--
Tim.

Tim wrote:

> No, just a misguided idiot abusing the T&Cs of a free news
> provider. Looking at the headers from a post elsewhere in the thread

I wouldn't look too closely at the headers of other news.individual.net
users here ;-)

Tony

In article <[email protected]>, half_pint wrote:
> You have no idea how many people have killfiled me.
> If people choose to remain ignorant thats their choice.
>

> u can take a horse to water......

The "you can take a ***** to culture but you can't make her
think" spin on that phrase seems somehow apt.
--
Tim.

Tim wrote:

> The "you can take a ***** to culture but you can't make her
> think" spin on that phrase seems somehow apt.

As first said by USAian writer Dorothy Parker.

Tony

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>>
>> No, just a misguided idiot abusing the T&Cs of a free news
>> provider. Looking at the headers from a post elsewhere in the thread
>>

> I wouldn't look too closely at the headers of other news.individual.net
> users here ;-)

Most keep at least within the spirit or their rules:)
--
Tim.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:49:27 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
> blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
> onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
> around."

On the 12th day of Chavmas my true love sent to me ...

Twelve Chavvers Chavving
Eleven prammers pushing
Ten lads joy-riding
Nine ladies drinking
Eight midriffs showing
Seven Scallies stealing
Six teens a-laying
Five gold rings
Four stolen phones
Three navel studs
Two tracksuit tops
.... and a pikey in Burberry

James

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:01:48 -0000, "half_pint" <[email protected]>
>wrote in message <[email protected]>:
>
>>Well I suggest you learn how to read a thread in OE, google or whatever.
>>It really is so much easier, and you will waste less time reading threads.

>There is no need for James to do this as the vast majority of urc
>posters have the basic courtesy to post in a style which the group
>finds preferable. I can think of one lone exception at the moment...

Hi Guy

To be fair to half_pint, for short replies to short posts (one screen,
or less) it doesn't really matter whether one top- or bottom-posts.
However, on longer threads - those with Helmet in the subject line
sp[ring to mind for some reason - it is important simply for clarity's
sake.

I'm sure it's not the top-posting per se that you, I and others object
to, it's half_pint's ingnoring the convention.

James

Tony Raven wrote:

> I wouldn't look too closely at the headers of other

news.individual.net
> users here ;-)

Very few of the others are likely to attract the same volume of
complaints.

--
Dave...

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:46:09 +0000, Eiron <[email protected]> wrote:

>James Hodson wrote:
>
>> ....excercise bike....

>> Anyway, I still have that immovable steed and the seat ain't too bad.

>>In fact, rather than using the actual milometer, I used to put on
>>AC/DC's Highway To Hell album and ride for one side of the LP at
>>first. Later, I progressed to both sides of those tuneful ditties
>>But does it countersteer?

>But does it countersteer?

Nope, but it sure rocks and rolls. In fact, the brakes are so
effecient, one finds oneself shaking one's head occasionally - extreme
g force, or something.

By extreme g force, I am not referring to my sound card, which is now
on its last legs. :-(

James

dkahn400 wrote:

> Very few of the others are likely to attract the same volume of
> complaints.

What are you complaining about? Not liking or not wanting to read his
posts is a reason to kill file or ignore him, not for his ISP to delist
him.

As Voltaire might have said "I may not agree with what he says, but I
shall defend to the death his right to say it while reserving the right
to kill file him."

Tony

dkahn400 wrote:

> Very few of the others are likely to attract the same volume of
> complaints.

What are you complaining about? Not liking or not wanting to read his
posts is a reason to kill file or ignore him, not for his ISP to delist
him.

As Voltaire might have said "I may not agree with what he says, but I
shall defend to the death his right to say it while reserving the right
to kill file him."

Tony

> dkahn400 wrote:
> >
> > Very few of the others are likely to attract the same volume of
> > complaints.
> >

> What are you complaining about? Not liking or not wanting to read his
> posts is a reason to kill file or ignore him, not for his ISP to delist
> him.

However he does use other people's email addresses without their permission
with the express purpose of annoying them. This is grounds for delisting.

cheers,
clive

That is a lie I have permission to use alll the address I use you ****
stiring ****.