I'm a slob, and have had enough of it.

Failed your CSE's did you?

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> half_pint wrote:
> > You have no idea how many people have killfiled me.

> I have a reasonable idea, based on the frequency with which the word
> Plonk forms a part of their replys to you. You did understand that that
> was what was going on didn't you?
>
> > If people choose to remain ignorant thats their choice.

> A choice which you admirably demonstrate at every opportunity.
>
> > u can take a horse to water......

> ... but you still can't educate the terminally clueless!
>
> Jon

You cant make GWB think either.
Mind you he is a real *****.

> Tim wrote:
> >
> > The "you can take a ***** to culture but you can't make her
> > think" spin on that phrase seems somehow apt.

> As first said by USAian writer Dorothy Parker.
>
> Tony

Dont be a **** everyone falsifies their email adress you idiot.

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > dkahn400 wrote:
> > >
> > > Very few of the others are likely to attract the same volume of
> > > complaints.
> > >

> > What are you complaining about? Not liking or not wanting to read his
> > posts is a reason to kill file or ignore him, not for his ISP to delist
> > him.

> However he does use other people's email addresses without their

permission
> with the express purpose of annoying them. This is grounds for delisting.
>
> cheers,
> clive

u must be joking

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BDEC4C9F.6267%[email protected]...
> On 19/12/04 7:08 pm, in article [email protected],

"half_pint"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > No thats a lie you said 100 meter, or at least 100 was thedistance in
> > question.
> >
> > Own up.

> Quote the post to which I was replying and give the context for my answer.

> think this proves the point that top posting can leads to

misunderstandings.

> OP mentioned that he had calibrated his speedo using a particular method

and
> was wanting to measure the DISTANCE between home and work he travels on

his
> commute (estimated at 17km). Someone suggested using the markers by the

side
> of the road to calibrate. There was anotehr post (IIRC) suggesting using

GPS
> to measure a stretch of road accurately for calibration. I then made my
> contribution which, because I followed a top posting stylee, didn't

contain
> th e above context, so you faield to follow the discussion.
>
> Now kindly apologise for calling me a liar.
>
> ..d
>

> > "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> No *I* didn't. If you were reading a properly interleaved thread, or
> >> could read a thread in your newsreader properly, you will have seen

that
> >> the original distance to be measured was estimated at 17km. Various
> >> calibration methods were suggested for the bike computer, including
> >> using the 100m posts on a major road. The measurement is not 100m, but
> >> many km.
> >>
> >> Oh, and when selective availability was turned off, my P-i-L went from
> >> being able to determine which end of the boat they were on, to which
> >> side they were on.
> >>
> >> ..d

> > differenceiate

seen

their

> > actually

> > remember

If it is only accurate to within several neters it not good enough.

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BDEC4EEC.626A%[email protected]...
> On 20/12/04 12:59 am, in article [email protected],

"half_pint"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > He only needs a relatively short distance to do that.
> > I don't see how he can do that over 17km.

> He wants to calibrate the mileometer to get an accurate measure of the

17km.
> The suggestionis to measure the 17km directly.
>

> > I don't know how GPS would measure the distance.

> It is called diffential GPS. given a set of coordinates, one can us teh
> difference between them to work out the distance.
>
> > does it take into account the curvature of the earth?

> You tell met whether the curvature of the earth will be significant over
> 17km
>
> > even if it did there are hills which make the distance longer
> > and also there are bends in the road.

> > GPS knows nothing about those things and so would be useless.

> *Yawn* GPS measures height as well as polar coordinates.
> Tracklogs anyone? Dead easy to interpolate to get a good approximation of
> the distance (unless one is trying very hard to weave from side to side on
> the road like a seqing machine doing a buttonhole.
>
> ..d

Mainly in france

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:00:21 -0000, "half_pint" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> No. Where's it held?

> >Mainly in france

> Not in Fracne then?
>
> --
> Dave...
>
> Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

in message <BDEC5A44.6280%[email protected]>, David Martin
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 20/12/04 9:40 am, in article
> [email protected], "Simon Brooke"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> And once you are relaxed about that the idea that there are 16.5 feet
>> to the pole and 40 poles to the furlong won't worry you at all.

> 11 cubits is possibly easier to remember. Hmm. A rod is the same as a
> pole...

But quite different from a czech.

Maggie may, but Marejka wouldn't.

See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>>
>> No, just a misguided idiot abusing the T&Cs of a free news
>> provider. Looking at the headers from a post elsewhere in the thread
>>

> I wouldn't look too closely at the headers of other
> news.individual.net users here ;-)

Look as closely as you like at mine. When someone offers me a free
service, gratis, I'm sufficiently grateful to do them the courtesy of
respecting their conditions.

And yes, that is a pointed comment.

Wannabe a Web designer?
<URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>

"half_pint" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > However he does use other people's email addresses without their
> > permission with the express purpose of annoying them. This is
> > grounds for delisting.

> That is a lie I have permission to use alll the address I use you ****
> stiring ****.

will reveal I speak the truth.

clive

I am sure the last thing the providers of that service if to be pestered
by mindless arseholes, trying to get someones account closed.

If they wanted to close my account they would have done so by
now and I have alwaaays found them very helpful when
I have dealt with them.

I really think they have bigger fish to fry than dancing to the tune
of some self appointed ******** 'internet cop' who is also a troll
and a ******.

> in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Tim wrote:
> >>
> >> No, just a misguided idiot abusing the T&Cs of a free news
> >> provider. Looking at the headers from a post elsewhere in the thread
> >>

> > I wouldn't look too closely at the headers of other
> > news.individual.net users here ;-)

> Look as closely as you like at mine. When someone offers me a free
> service, gratis, I'm sufficiently grateful to do them the courtesy of
> respecting their conditions.
>
> And yes, that is a pointed comment.
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
> Wannabe a Web designer?
> <URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:27:48 GMT, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>To be fair to half_pint, for short replies to short posts (one screen,
>or less) it doesn't really matter whether one top- or bottom-posts.
>However, on longer threads - those with Helmet in the subject line
>sp[ring to mind for some reason - it is important simply for clarity's
>sake.

I find short top posted replies a real pain because I'm not looking
for them there. At first it looks as if it's just a quote with no new
content. Only on a second look do I find the reply.

>I'm sure it's not the top-posting per se that you, I and others object
>to, it's half_pint's ingnoring the convention.

As someone else has pointed out he used to interleave his replies in
the conventional way. I almost said "reply conventionally" but that
would be stretching the point too far. He's switched to top posting
simply to be provocative.

--

Jon Senior wrote:
> Besides biologists are the worst people for using "real"
> scientific terminology. After an A-level Chemistry of
> discussing propantriol (propan 1-2-3, triol IIRC) I was faced
> with discussions of glycerol. I know it's shorter, but it's
> bloody irritating to have two years of being forced to use the
> correct naming conventions, only to have them thrown out of
> the window.

That's the problem with real life. IUPAC makes the rules but the people
using the names don't want to change because it means relabelling the
bottles and rewriting the test methods. In these days of change control it's
a lot of work.

My favorite old chemical name is lunar caustic but that was dropped a long
time ago.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:41:17 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What are you complaining about? Not liking or not wanting to read his
>posts is a reason to kill file or ignore him, not for his ISP to delist
>him.

I agree. I woldn't bother. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find
that he had attracted a fair number of complaints. He has irritated a
large number of people.

>As Voltaire might have said "I may not agree with what he says, but I
>shall defend to the death his right to say it while reserving the right
>to kill file him."

I like it. Of course he has the right to post anything he wants. I'm
using Free Agent ATM. It doesn't have a kill file facility. I might
upgrade to the commercial version, but first I think I'll investigate
Thunderbird.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

Jon Senior wondered (of not knowing how many pounds to a stone):
> Why? (Do you find it shocking, I appreciate why it's 14!) I've never
> really had cause to learn it (And every time I do, I promptly forget
> because I never use it). I understand kg. I have a feeling for kg. I
> have no concept of stone except with regard to human weight.

I find it shocking precisely *because* the stone is the unit most
commonly used in the UK for measuring human weight.

Over the past 7 or 8 years I've started meeting people (usually at least
10 years younger than me) who are completely unfamiliar with imperial
units other than the pint and the mile. It always takes me aback
somewhat. It seems strange that people are abandoning some really
useful units [1].

After posting yesterday I started thinking about why I like using
imperial measures, and I think I might know why.

People of my generation grew up with metric and imperial units. I can
use either, I'm quite happy converting between them because I've had to
do it all my life, but I have very definite preferences. For long
distances or approximate lengths, I prefer imperial. For precise
measurements over distances of a few yards or less, I'll use metric.
For weights I'll nearly always use imperial. For volumes I like pints
and gallons, but when I go under a pint I like ml. As far as use of
units goes, I don't believe I'm in any way atypical of people educated
in the UK during the 80's.

I think a large part of the reason for liking imperial units is that
people tend to be comfortable with small integers. That's why we have
units like the AU and the light year, as well.

If I give my height as 5'9" then I'm using two small integers, nice
comfortable fluffy numbers. If I'm 175cm then that's a big integer, it
just doesn't feel as comfortable somehow. If I'm 1.75m then my height
is no longer an integer, and suddenly it's a nasty spiky number.

If I give my weight as 10st 12lbs then again I'm dealing with two small
integers. 69kg is a much bigger number, so again it's not as friendly.
Note that this argument falls down when Merkins get involved. If I
was American I'd be 152lbs (or perhaps 300lbs), which is far too big a
number to bandy around comfortably.

I then continue using pounds for other weights because my own weight is
the weight that I am most familiar with, the one that has most meaning
for me, so I have much more of a feeling for the unit that I use for
measuring my own weight than for any other unit of weight.

And the reasons for liking metric measurements for some purposes are
accuracy and ease of calculation. A millimetre is a finer measure than
1/16" and it's much easier to perform calculations with metric units
than imperial. To my mind that's actually a good reason for continuing
to use imperial units some of the time, as well. It's good for
developing and maintaining mental arithmetic skills.

> In fact... why is it 14?

Erm, no idea. I'd be quite interested to know that as well. Similarly,
why are there 16oz to a lb, why 12" to a foot and why 1760 yards to a mile?

[1] The sooner the Fahrenheit scale is consigned to the dustbin of
history the better, though. I have no problems converting between F and
C, but I'd rather not have to.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:59:29 +0000, half_pint wrote:

> That is a lie I have permission to use alll the address I use you ****
> stiring ****.

Oh really? Does that include "[email protected]", which you used
142 times in uk.rec.cycling?

Mike

Response to Tony Raven:
> I wouldn't look too closely at the headers of other news.individual.net
> users here ;-)

Although I think I'm kosher AIUI (spam posted to the email address above
*has* ended up on my hard drive, no matter how temporarily), I suppose
this is as good a time as any to tear off the mask and start using my
full name.

(Time for a new [temporary] sig as well, for good measure.)

--
Mark, UK.

On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Of course, its a public address for anyone wanting information,
they work in pulic relations, they want to hear from everyone.

> > That is a lie I have permission to use alll the address I use you ****
> > stiring ****.

> Oh really? Does that include "[email protected]", which you used
> 142 times in uk.rec.cycling?
>

> Mike

Yes having an ISP delist me simply because I am more clever than
you are is pathetic.

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:41:17 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >What are you complaining about? Not liking or not wanting to read his
> >posts is a reason to kill file or ignore him, not for his ISP to delist
> >him.

> I agree. I woldn't bother. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find
> that he had attracted a fair number of complaints. He has irritated a
> large number of people.
>
> >As Voltaire might have said "I may not agree with what he says, but I
> >shall defend to the death his right to say it while reserving the right
> >to kill file him."

> I like it. Of course he has the right to post anything he wants. I'm
> using Free Agent ATM. It doesn't have a kill file facility. I might
> upgrade to the commercial version, but first I think I'll investigate
> Thunderbird.
>
> --
> Dave...
>
> Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

In message <[email protected]>, Dave Kahn
<[email protected]> writes

>I find short top posted replies a real pain because I'm not looking
>for them there. At first it looks as if it's just a quote with no new
>content. Only on a second look do I find the reply.

With most follow ups my newsreader helpfully renders the quoted bits in
red (each line prefixed with a >) and the new interleaved additional
text in black, so it's extremely easy in a properly trimmed post, which
usually appears in a single screen, to see what's new and what's being
referred to.

Quoted parts from before the previous post are in other colours and
preceded by >> (or more >).

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google