I'm A Terrible Cyclist - Who's With Me?

Saltbush

Jul 7, 2004
Should be a law against someone like me being in the saddle.

Been hit by a car twice - fallen off a few times. Have never raced and have occassionally completed a longish distance.

Now I know we all want to be in here and claim that we are all something else on a bike, but let's face it, there are a lot of poor sloggers like me that are useless.

I DARE YOU TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET, AND JOIN ME!

YOU WILL FEEL LIBERATED!

WE CAN START A CLUB!

I see you all looking at me, shaking your head wondering what sort of nuffer I am, and I can assure you, I am the worst sort of nuffer. I'm a nuffer on wheels. There you go, a club name.

NUFFERS ON WHEELS - NOW.

Just send your credit card details through, I'll debit $3000.00 from your account, and you can be a life time member with me.

Ok, I have to go and grease my training wheels.

Ciao

I too am not that great of a rider...............BUT I LOVE IT AND I HAVE FUN!! I've actually been hit by a bus!!! I'm ok....I just broke my foot and my bike of course!! Now I ride a whole bunch inside on my trainer...........

Or spots where I can find NO TRAFFIC, which where I live is not easy.

But I love riding. I love watching the Tour. I get better ever time I ride!!

Thank you for your honesty. I am mediocre at cycling; therfore you make me look good. The world needs more cyclist like you so I can feel better about myself.

Originally posted by jhuskey
Thank you for your honesty. I am mediocre at cycling; therfore you make me look good. The world needs more cyclist like you so I can feel better about myself.

I felt better just reading the first post + the rest of the thread. :cool:

Never been hit by a car, but I have done the bodysurfing thing once or twice. I'm not too bad, but I was much better when I was younger. The only thing worse than being slow is being slow when you were once fast. Hmmm... I think I'll make a sig out of that. :p

what are the bench marks for a terrible or mediocre cyclist?

Because I think I'm mediocre at best but I just simply LOVE cycling.

Are you all satisfied by being mediocre bicyclists? If you are, great. By why not improve? I ride in the heart of Tampa, Florida, and ride about 100 miles a day. Never in a close-call. Not because I am some expert, but because I have concentrated on the fundamentals ... not hugging the white line, forcing drivers to slow down and wait if it is unsafe to pass ... You say you've been hit by a bus? Don't let it pass unless it gives you three feet clearance. Ride with traffic. Take the entire lane if you have to. Sounds crazy, but it is extremely safe. Just a few thoughts.

I didn't mean to sound pompous, I just want you guys to know you can improve incredibly in only a few days. Once I was taught proper traffic riding I became fairly decent in a few days. Now it's my sole transportation means. I'm safer on my bike than in my car. Once you become a good rider you can go anywhere, without fear, get exercise while doing it, and enjoy "just getting out" more. I wish you guys encouragement and "luck."

Originally posted by Activist
Are you all satisfied by being mediocre bicyclists? If you are, great. By why not improve? I ride in the heart of Tampa, Florida, and ride about 100 miles a day. Never in a close-call. Not because I am some expert, but because I have concentrated on the fundamentals ... not hugging the white line, forcing drivers to slow down and wait if it is unsafe to pass ... You say you've been hit by a bus? Don't let it pass unless it gives you three feet clearance. Ride with traffic. Take the entire lane if you have to. Sounds crazy, but it is extremely safe. Just a few thoughts.

hmmm 100 miles a day? For me...I AIN'T got that kind of time to ride 100 miles a day :) I'm lucky if I can ride 100 miles a week on a regular basis, not that I haven't.

You should be in Tour De France.

We all want to improve and get better. For some, it just won't get any better but the pure joy of cycling.

I was thinking the same thing about the 100 miles a day. Wish I had that kind of time.........at my rate, it'd be about 8-10 hours on a good day!!!!!!!!!

I am not fast, nor can I go long distances yet, but I am trying! I can ride about 13 mph for about 25 miles (which is my longest ride so far)! I want to be faster, but I'd like to just ride in comfort for longer distances.

I'll be in N.O.W. for "now"...........
Kim in TN

You know, I agree. We should all try to improve - in all areas of life. I also agree that you should take up the entire lane that you are entitled to. I did this, and a drunk driver ran over the back of me - so doesn't always work.

Hundred miles a day hey? That converts to quite a few km. You must be young and single to be able to afford the time?

Thanks for the feedback, it's good advice. Cyclists need to make a statement about their rights on the road!!

Originally posted by tinajoy
I too am not that great of a rider...............BUT I LOVE IT AND I HAVE FUN!! I've actually been hit by a bus!!! I'm ok....I just broke my foot and my bike of course!! Now I ride a whole bunch inside on my trainer...........

Or spots where I can find NO TRAFFIC, which where I live is not easy.

But I love riding. I love watching the Tour. I get better ever time I ride!!

Good for you Tinajoy - glad you survived the bus. I have been very fortunate, no broken bones - yet.

I love The Tour also. Regardless of who wins, every single rider that qualified is a legend in my mind - unless they are cheats, then I hope they fall off!

Take the entire lane if you have to. Sounds crazy, but it is extremely safe.

Try that with the redneck pickup truck drivers where I live. I'm pretty sure they'd rear-end you. They also like to cut back over once they pass you, but they do so before they are totally past you, so the rear portion of their vehicle forces you onto the shoulder. Hand getures and horn honking are also common.

Once I memorized a license plate of a truck that tried pretty hard to run me over, but when I told a police officer about it, his response was "then quit riding in the damn road."

Someday I will live where I can ride in peace.

I didn't mean to sound pompous, "

Actually, you did sound ...............a bit pompous. Adding to the rumors about road bikers being snobby.......???

Originally posted by cydewaze
Try that with the redneck pickup truck drivers where I live. I'm pretty sure they'd rear-end you. They also like to cut back over once they pass you, but they do so before they are totally past you, so the rear portion of their vehicle forces you onto the shoulder. Hand getures and horn honking are also common.

Once I memorized a license plate of a truck that tried pretty hard to run me over, but when I told a police officer about it, his response was "then quit riding in the damn road."

Hey Cydewaze,

I'm with you. I have had a big semi try to pass me a little too close, so close in fact that I nearly went under the trailer and his back wheels nearly got me. It is very scary out there. Now I live in lovely country wine region. Still bad for trucks out here, so I get my mountain bike and do the dirt roads. But then you get the stupid hooligans who like to take the corners a bit fast and have no idea I'm coming in the other direction.

Let's face it, cycling is hazardous unless you are on a quaint little bike path. Sadly, quaint little bike paths don't really cater for cyclists who want to build up the km.

Aaahhhh, such a dilemma...I hear running is fun?

Kerry

Point taken, but I really agree about not hugging the wite line, not riding next to the curb. I've harped on the very issue before, you have to occupy your lane. Sometimes you have to force the driver to accept staying behind you for a minute.

Or to accept breaking the yellow line to avoid you. It's a psychological barrier. If they can possibly, imagineably pass you without crossing the yellow line, they'll squeeze by.

But if they're obligated to cross the line, they will almost always give you enough room.

In any case, you have to command and communicate with drivers, make your intentions clear and above all, consider the whole thing like a big obstacle course.

Do not let your object hit any other objects.

Originally posted by cydewaze

Yeah, i just started riding and i'm not that good. I have fallen over while trying to unclip my feet from the pedals at a dead stop about 5 times. Now i unclip my left foot about 40ft from a stop light because i am so scared of going over again...and on my last trip i pussied out on a big hill and then got passed at a light while i was trying to get my cleat into the pedal.
I am really happy that someone made this post...i felt alone on this site.
peace

I have had similar bad luck. My son decided to stop dead in his tracks in front of me, and the only thing I could do was hit the ground. But don't feel bad, look at the guys on The Tour. Boy, when they come off, they REALLY come off.

I often ride with only one foot clipped in also, but it's usually my luck that if I have my left foot unclipped, I still fall over on the right side - I'm a cluts - BUT I KEEP TRYING!

Happy cycling.

Kerry

Originally posted by mysilver70sekai
Yeah, i just started riding and i'm not that good. I have fallen over while trying to unclip my feet from the pedals at a dead stop about 5 times. Now i unclip my left foot about 40ft from a stop light because i am so scared of going over again...and on my last trip i pussied out on a big hill and then got passed at a light while i was trying to get my cleat into the pedal.
I am really happy that someone made this post...i felt alone on this site.
peace

I'm new at this and still learning. I'm just a little better than terrible. I'm not very fast but I refuse to get off my bike and walk it up a hill! Even if I'm going so slow I'm almost stopped! I think I'll try riding in the lane and see how it goes. Now can someone tell me how to get my seat adjusted so it's not "digging in"? LOL!

Dan

Originally posted by portrider
I'm new at this and still learning. I'm just a little better than terrible. I'm not very fast but I refuse to get off my bike and walk it up a hill! Even if I'm going so slow I'm almost stopped! I think I'll try riding in the lane and see how it goes. Now can someone tell me how to get my seat adjusted so it's not "digging in"? LOL!

Dan

Easy. Don't adjust your seat at all, just don't sit down. Stay out of the saddle like Lance Armstrong, and YOU TOO CAN HAVE GREAT GLUTEAL MUSCLES!!

Kerry