I'm A Terrible Cyclist - Who's With Me?

After a long hiatus, I am now back on my bike. I did 15 miles this afternoon w/ave speed of 12.5. I need to lose 20lbs and really need to exercise more.

Hills always kill me ....
but my dream is to ride a century.

Doug

Originally posted by djrocker257
After a long hiatus, I am now back on my bike. I did 15 miles this afternoon w/ave speed of 12.5. I need to lose 20lbs and really need to exercise more.

Hills always kill me ....
but my dream is to ride a century.

Doug

Good on you Doug. I have done a century (km), nearly killed me. Took a good hour before I could stand up straight, as my lower back crashed on me - BUT IT WAS GREAT!

We have a ride in Australia called 'Around the Bay in a Day'. It is 210 kms, and quite a few thousand people attend. It's a great day. Last year I did half the distance, this year I'm going the whole hog - even if it kills me. Have a new bike (Avanti), so I'm rearing to go.

Kerry

Originally posted by Saltbush
Hey Cydewaze,

I'm with you. I have had a big semi try to pass me a little too close, so close in fact that I nearly went under the trailer and his back wheels nearly got me. It is very scary out there. Now I live in lovely country wine region. Still bad for trucks out here, so I get my mountain bike and do the dirt roads. But then you get the stupid hooligans who like to take the corners a bit fast and have no idea I'm coming in the other direction.

Let's face it, cycling is hazardous unless you are on a quaint little bike path. Sadly, quaint little bike paths don't really cater for cyclists who want to build up the km.

Aaahhhh, such a dilemma...I hear running is fun?

Kerry

Hey Kerry,

Well so far I've run into my husbands rear wheel and wrecked it. Passed out on a hill and fallen off the curb!!! Think I should give up somedays but even with all the falling, blacking out and sore limbs I still enjoy it.

Do you think it's something to do with being named Kerry?

Kerri ;)

Originally posted by magrat22
Hey Kerry,

Well so far I've run into my husbands rear wheel and wrecked it. Passed out on a hill and fallen off the curb!!! Think I should give up somedays but even with all the falling, blacking out and sore limbs I still enjoy it.

Do you think it's something to do with being named Kerry?

Kerri ;)

HAHAHA,

Yep, it's all to do with the name. Actually, I was named after a packet of butter in Ireland 'Kerry Gold', so thats my excuse for slipping off the bike all the time!

Honestly, you must be putting in a decent effort if you are passing out on hills though - good for you.

Sore limbs I don't mind - means I have done some work at least.

Sadly age is creeping in, and my body is not doing what my brain tells it to. I was never gifted with any athletic abilities, certainly not an athletes body, but I try and try - mostly to keep young for my kids.

I also run a bit. Was feeling horrible last week, but got four toots - did wonders for my self-esteem. Secret is - don't wear bras!!! Let's just keep that between you and me.

Anyway, have a great day.

Kerry

Lmao..so was I. Actually I'm from Ireland so I named after the place the butter is made..Kerry. So what's your excuse ;)

Originally posted by magrat22
Lmao..so was I. Actually I'm from Ireland so I named after the place the butter is made..Kerry. So what's your excuse ;)

A'HA!!

So, yer Oirish are ya!

My excuse - don't have one. I'm British born, but lived in Australia all my life.

So, is Kerry a nice place? MUST BE!!!!!

Where do you live now?

Kerry

If you would like to email, address is [email protected]

But then you get the stupid hooligans who like to take the corners a bit fast and have no idea I'm coming in the other direction.
That happened to me a few years ago on my mountain bike. Ended up in a head-on collision with another bike. Broke my 5th metacarpal in my left hand :(

Originally posted by cydewaze
That happened to me a few years ago on my mountain bike. Ended up in a head-on collision with another bike. Broke my 5th metacarpal in my left hand :(

**thinking that full motocross armor might be a wise investment before first outting on the road**

lol...nah, not really. Some scary sounding stories on this thread though.

I too am a new rider.
I haven't cycled for about 8 years and quit playing badminton seriously about 2 years ago so I've piled the weight back on (17.5 Stone Now).

I've brought a Marin hybrid bike for £400 and set out on the road. Yet to crash or fall off but I'm not exactly fast (peak of 18mph) and 12 miles is the most I've done in one ride.
Buses scare me as well, but one being on my ass certainly makes me pedal that little bit harder! :eek:

I'm having trouble finding time to ride so I doubt I'll improve much either!
This thread at least comforts me in that I'm not alone and and not everyone in this forum is serious athlete doing 7 centuries a week!

~Stoo

I have Cyclecraft by John Franklin (also recommended here), and it's very good.

I'm not a very good cyclist either, but no crashes for a long time. I know a fall is coming sooner or later though.

A long time back I raced my friends up the school drive which had speed bumps, and when I went over the last one had the horror of watching my front wheel roll away ahead of me in slow motion. Oops!!!! :eek:

The bad bits about that crash were that it was right in front of a lot of my fellow pupils, and to add insult to injury I vaulted the forks and landed on my front wheel, bending it so I couldn't ride home. Then my heavy bag of books landed on my head, and my bike landed on top of me after that.

KakenBetaal said:
I have Cyclecraft by John Franklin (also recommended here), and it's very good.

I'm not a very good cyclist either, but no crashes for a long time. I know a fall is coming sooner or later though.

A long time back I raced my friends up the school drive which had speed bumps, and when I went over the last one had the horror of watching my front wheel roll away ahead of me in slow motion. Oops!!!! :eek:

The bad bits about that crash were that it was right in front of a lot of my fellow pupils, and to add insult to injury I vaulted the forks and landed on my front wheel, bending it so I couldn't ride home. Then my heavy bag of books landed on my head, and my bike landed on top of me after that.

ooooouuch, good one lol

cydewaze said:
Once I memorized a license plate of a truck that tried pretty hard to run me over, but when I told a police officer about it, his response was "then quit riding in the damn road."

Turn them in for drunk driving. The cops might not bother with someone dusting off cyclist, but thanks to MADD, they have to respond to drunk driving complaints. :D

hopwoods said:
I too am a new rider.
I haven't cycled for about 8 years and quit playing badminton seriously about 2 years ago so I've piled the weight back on (17.5 Stone Now).

I've brought a Marin hybrid bike for £400 and set out on the road. Yet to crash or fall off but I'm not exactly fast (peak of 18mph) and 12 miles is the most I've done in one ride.
Buses scare me as well, but one being on my ass certainly makes me pedal that little bit harder! :eek:

I'm having trouble finding time to ride so I doubt I'll improve much either!
This thread at least comforts me in that I'm not alone and and not everyone in this forum is serious athlete doing 7 centuries a week!

~Stoo

Hi Stoo,

Well, I started this particular thread for that very reason. Because not all of us are great cyclists. I struggle to find the time for cycling. If I had more time, there is no doubt (like most people Im sure), that I would improve. I'm also carrying a few extra pounds, and tend to alternative running and cycling, but I can tell you, God didn't bless me with the most efficient metabolism.

I remember last year I was riding my mountain bike (had road tyres on it), along a quiet country road. Trucks used this route, and had to pull out to pass me, otherwise I would have been pushed onto the gravel and probably come off. My partner was in a car about 40 kms behind me and heard them talking about me on the cb radio. They were saying 'You would think she could pull over, afterall she's riding a mountain bike!' Ahh, lesson number one, 'owning a mountain bike does not maketh a mountain bike rider'. And owning a bike, does not automatically make someone a cyclist. Like me, they might just be bike riders.

Anyway, good on you for buying the bike, and good luck with your cycling. And regarding the century riders, I think it is a good goal to ride at least one in your life. A very achievable goal for most people.

Have a great day.

Kerry

Australia

Stiff Upper Lip said:
It's a funny thread. I rode for years as a young pre-teen and at that point carried no body fat, was a good competitive swimmer. I always enjoyed the ride and never kept track of speed or really distance. It was simply the best way for me to get around my town. I loved to ride and also did some MS rides.

Hi Stiff Upper Lip,

Good message. Yes, I've come off my bike because I couldn't unclip fast enough too, but that was because the cyclist in front of me slammed his brakes on, and I had nowhere to go but down.

I love riding, but I'm a nervous rider. Have been hit by a car twice (first time was a learner driver, second time was a drunk driver). I am very nervous around trucks - because they can be pretty thoughtless.

yesterday tried a time-trial by myself, did 'ok', considering I have never done one before - but today very saddle sore as I have never had this bike on the road before, and road bikes don't take the impact quite like the mountain bikes do.

Oh well, never to give up - just keep pushing on.

Kerry
Australia

You ride 100 miles a day!!!
I don't think even Lance Armstrong can top that. I think you should definitely be in the tour and would probably win it as well.

Activist said:
Are you all satisfied by being mediocre bicyclists? If you are, great. By why not improve? I ride in the heart of Tampa, Florida, and ride about 100 miles a day. Never in a close-call. Not because I am some expert, but because I have concentrated on the fundamentals ... not hugging the white line, forcing drivers to slow down and wait if it is unsafe to pass ... You say you've been hit by a bus? Don't let it pass unless it gives you three feet clearance. Ride with traffic. Take the entire lane if you have to. Sounds crazy, but it is extremely safe. Just a few thoughts.

I've never been fast at anything.
I've never raced a bike.
I don't buy the latest bikes/stuff when it comes out.
I don't know much about the TdF (except that that's how you abbreviate it).
I have done a couple moderate distance rides (50, 75, 150 miles).
I was knocked off my bike by a motorcycle once.
I have a recumbent bike that I built from a frame kit about 20 years ago (I was a pioneer back then).
I have no permanent scars from cycling.

Do I qualify for membership?

TD

Saltbush said:
Should be a law against someone like me being in the saddle.

Been hit by a car twice - fallen off a few times. Have never raced and have occassionally completed a longish distance.

Now I know we all want to be in here and claim that we are all something else on a bike, but let's face it, there are a lot of poor sloggers like me that are useless.

I DARE YOU TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET, AND JOIN ME!

YOU WILL FEEL LIBERATED!

WE CAN START A CLUB!

I see you all looking at me, shaking your head wondering what sort of nuffer I am, and I can assure you, I am the worst sort of nuffer. I'm a nuffer on wheels. There you go, a club name.

NUFFERS ON WHEELS - NOW.

Just send your credit card details through, I'll debit $3000.00 from your account, and you can be a life time member with me.

Ok, I have to go and grease my training wheels.

Ciao

ha, I love it sign me up.

I've had a couple bad run ins with vehicles. One was my fault, I rolled through a stop sign when I couldn't see cross traffic because a big van was blocking my view. Just some scrapes and a broken wheel though.

Another time, I guy in a truck creamed me because he was driving into the sun, couldn't see and turned left right into me. That put me in the hospital.

I have found that it is helpful to have your bars (on a road bike) up at a height that is comfortable enough that you can ride in the drops indefinitely.
It is very useful to have instant access to full braking power in the city. The lower center of gravity also helps with maneuverability.

I love this thread!!! Since it's my first post, this is definitely the place to put it.

I am a TOTAL beginner cyclist, I have done the grand total of 2 rides. The second ride (as a hysterically laughing cydewaze will attest) I was learning my clipless pedals (which I still think should be called "clip pedals" because you clip into them!) and I keeled over just standing at an intersection! I had one foot clipped and was standing/balancing on the other foot. My bike wobbled and I didn't have time to unclip before crashing down.

Then the other day I was testing my city hybrid bike and somehow jumped off the seat cracking my tailbone on the tip in the process. Now I am sitting on a donut as I write this. :(

Let's hope I improve soon!

P.S. What's a nuffer?

juf2m said:
I love this thread!!! Since it's my first post, this is definitely the place to put it.

I am a TOTAL beginner cyclist, I have done the grand total of 2 rides. The second ride (as a hysterically laughing cydewaze will attest) I was learning my clipless pedals (which I still think should be called "clip pedals" because you clip into them!) and I keeled over just standing at an intersection! I had one foot clipped and was standing/balancing on the other foot. My bike wobbled and I didn't have time to unclip before crashing down.

Don't feel bad. Everyone does that when they first go clipless.

I was out on a trail on my MTB a month or so ago and came to a sharp turn followed by a steep upward pitch. I realized I wasn't going to be able to make it so I stopped to get off the bike and couldn't get my foot out of the pedal so I went down sideways. Of course, I went down on the side that wouldn't come out of the pedal which made it impossible to get up. After laying there embarassed for a bit, struggling to get free of the pedal, I finally got loose. I checked to see what was going on and found that one of the screws in the cleat had come out so when I turned my foot to get out of the pedal, the cleat just stayed where it was. The moral: check your cleat screws often!

TD