I'm about ready to give up on clipless pedals

I got on well with clipless pedals, but dont use them on my touring bike because I prefer to just step on and off the bike and use normal shoes.
I tried my road bike without them, with no regrets. I've not used them since.
I think the benefits of clipless pedals are greatly exaggerated, and the average cyclist doesn't really need them.

cyclemanx said:
I got on well with clipless pedals, but dont use them on my touring bike because I prefer to just step on and off the bike and use normal shoes.
I tried my road bike without them, with no regrets. I've not used them since.
I think the benefits of clipless pedals are greatly exaggerated, and the average cyclist doesn't really need them.
There is that certain group of people though, that have to have whatever Lance, Greg, or Eddie used.:rolleyes:

kdelong said:
There is that certain group of people though, that have to have whatever Lance, Greg, or Eddie used.:rolleyes:
Many moons ago, a London company made what was probably the very first one-piece leather suit, for a famous racing motorcyclist. He soon had an accident, and scuffed one shoulder of his beautiful leathers, which was quickly patched.
The company was soon inundated with orders for the new suits. However, when the customers came to pick them up, they immediately spotted the left shoulder didn't have the doubler like the ace's suit, and they insisted on having it. To save any further problems, and to please their customers, the patch was fitted to every suit they made thereafter. The customer is always right.

Geoff Duke

1950 350cc 2nd Norton 1
1950 500cc 2nd Norton 3
1951 350cc 1st Norton 5
1951 500cc 1st Norton 4
1952 350cc 1st Norton 4
1952 500cc 7th Norton 0
1953 500cc 1st Gilera 4
1954 500cc 1st Gilera 5
1955 500cc 1st Gilera 4
1956 500cc 7th Gilera 1
1957 500cc 4th Gilera 0
1958 500cc 3rd Norton 1
1959 250cc 10th Benelli 0
1959 350cc 5th Norton 0
1959 500cc 4th Norton 1

Spot on. Well done!
Geoff has been a Douglas resident for many years.
Duke Videos is managed by his son Peter.
He also rode the BMW works bike, but may not have finished on it.
He tested the BSA-Arial 250 works racer which was very fast, but management were scared that it would breakdown and give them bad publicity, and wouldn't allow it to race. There's a replica of this bike often seen at classic events in New Zealand. I don't think it has clipless pedals.

jwroubaix said:
I've had my Look Keo Sprints for about 1 month and i'm getting sick of falling. Are these pedals harder to get out of than others? It's not that i'm forgetting to clip out my problem is when coming to a stop i clip out of one side but my weight ends up going the other way and down i go. It would make sense to clip out of both side but that's kind of hard when you're already clipped out of the other side. Please help. The other thing i'm sort of surpriesed about is I thought i'd feel a bigger difference going clipless. I hardly tell any difference. Am i doing something wrong. Should i switch back to regular pedals.
Unclip well before you might think you need to, loosen the tension to its lowest setting. Practice unclipping on grass or with somebody holding the bike for
you. To see an appreciable difference in efficiency, you have to learn to pull as well as push. I've learned that to do this you have be in the right gear combination so that resistance is created along the whole pedal circle motion.

cyclemanx said:
Spot on. Well done!
Geoff has been a Douglas resident for many years.
Duke Videos is managed by his son Peter.
He also rode the BMW works bike, but may not have finished on it.
He tested the BSA-Arial 250 works racer which was very fast, but management were scared that it would breakdown and give them bad publicity, and wouldn't allow it to race. There's a replica of this bike often seen at classic events in New Zealand. I don't think it has clipless pedals.
Why don't dirt bikes have some means to clip in, if, as they say, the purpose is to help you control the bike and stay on it?

I think there is a small increase in efficiency even at a steady pace. If you pull with more muscles, you don't have to spin so fast to keep the intensity from going too high, and consequently you don't need to exert other muscles to keep your torso from bobbing up and down. You can use more of the pedal revolution instead of a higher crank speed or intensity.

People who have been riding toeclips or platforms all their lives are used to them and trained to them and would probably require a period of retraining before realizing much of a benefit.

I think MTB pedals are supposed to be more user-friendly than road pedals. I never tried road pedals & just got the MTB pedals for my road bike.