I'm back and in one piece.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gadget, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    Well I have just completed the journey from Rome to London. I have back read the original post when
    I asked for sponsorship and I'm sorry for starting a flame war on the subject. But I want bring up a
    few points. It was no holiday. We had deadlines to meet so that meant certain times had to be kept
    and failure to do so resulted in missing out on things. Secondly, the weather on one day was in the
    40's and if I had a choice I wouldn't of cycled the 100 miles we had to do. The money the organiser
    took from the sponsorship went towards the advertising of the event. Any way despite a few hardships
    on the way I did have a great time and now I'm looking forward to giving the road tyres a break and
    getting back off road. But only after a rest.

    Gadget

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well I have just completed the journey from Rome to London. I have back
    read
    > the original post when I asked for sponsorship and I'm sorry for starting
    > flame war on the subject. But I want bring up a few points. It was no holiday. We had deadlines to
    > meet so that meant certain times had to be
    kept
    > and failure to do so resulted in missing out on things. Secondly, the weather on one day was in
    > the 40's and if I had a choice I wouldn't of cycled the 100 miles we had to do. The money the
    > organiser took from the sponsorship went towards the advertising of the event. Any way despite a
    few
    > hardships on the way I did have a great time and now I'm looking forward
    > giving the road tyres a break and getting back off road. But only after a rest.

    Well done - that's brilliant. Simon

  3. Glad you are back safe and well.

    Well done!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Well done. How many miles in total, and any rest days?

    ~PB

  5. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Gadget deftly scribbled:

    > Well I have just completed the journey from Rome to London. I have back read the original post
    > when I asked for sponsorship and I'm sorry for starting a flame war on the subject. But I want
    > bring up a few points. It was no holiday. We had deadlines to meet so that meant certain times had
    > to be kept and failure to do so resulted in missing out on things. Secondly, the weather on one
    > day was in the 40's and if I had a choice I wouldn't of cycled the 100 miles we had to do. The
    > money the organiser took from the sponsorship went towards the advertising of the event. Any way
    > despite a few hardships on the way I did have a great time and now I'm looking forward to giving
    > the road tyres a break and getting back off road. But only after a rest.
    >
    > Gadget

    Nice one .. ;)

    Any chance of a webpage report, mileage, sites, pics etc etc ?

    --
    Digweed

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Not me, someone else" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gadget deftly scribbled:
    >
    > > Well I have just completed the journey from Rome to London. I have back read the original post
    > > when I asked for sponsorship and I'm sorry for starting a flame war on the subject. But I want
    > > bring up a few points. It was no holiday. We had deadlines to meet so that meant certain times
    > > had to be kept and failure to do so resulted in missing out on things. Secondly, the weather on
    > > one day was in the 40's and if I had a choice I wouldn't of cycled the 100 miles we had to do.
    > > The money the organiser took from the sponsorship went towards the advertising of the event. Any
    > > way despite a few hardships on the way I did have a great time and now I'm looking forward to
    > > giving the road tyres a break and getting back off road. But only after a rest.
    > >
    > > Gadget
    >
    > Nice one .. ;)
    >
    > Any chance of a webpage report, mileage, sites, pics etc etc ?
    >
    > --
    > Digweed

    Congrats and ditto!!...gotta be one of life's great achievements, eh? No doubt on uk.tosspot they'd
    ask why you didn't just take the car!!..but then, what would they know about rising to a challenge
    in such spectacular fashion?!!? Well done, Dave.
    ps - any spectacular near misses ? ;-)

  7. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    Well I have no personal webpage and wouldn't know where to start making one. The offical site
    www.rometothedome.com has pictures and journal for the whole team. I had no incidents, but several
    others did. I don't know how many of you have been to Rome but most roads are cobbled and one guy
    did go over as we went round one corner. Another guy had a small incident back in London. That was
    all I heard about. I had one day in which a massive gear problem took me off the road. But I was on
    the bike the next day after visiting a very nice French Cycle mechanic. When I learn and find a
    place to upload the photos I've got I'll post a link.

    Many Thanks

    Gadget

  8. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    PS. 1300 miles and no rest days,

  9. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Gadget deftly scribbled:

    > Well I have no personal webpage and wouldn't know where to start making one. The offical site
    > www.rometothedome.com has pictures and journal for the whole team. I had no incidents, but
    > several others
    > did. I don't know how many of you have been to Rome but most roads are cobbled and one guy did go
    > over as we went round one corner. Another guy had a small incident back in London. That was
    > all I heard about. I had one day in which a massive gear problem took me off the road. But I
    > was on the bike the next day after visiting a very nice French Cycle mechanic. When I learn
    > and find a place to upload the photos I've got I'll post a link.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Gadget

    Excellent, thanks.

    --
    Digweed

  10. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  11. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:18:55 +0100, "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >PS. 1300 miles and no rest days,

    Great thing to do. Just looking at the itinerary, I am prompted to wonder if I'd be able to hack it.
    Done a few 90 mile trips, one 115 trip.....but 15 successive days of doing between 50-100? Who
    knows. Anyway, love to have a bash someday.

    Congrats!

    Garry

  12. Congokid

    Congokid Guest