Im back (that was a beast of a storm)...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Alex Ravenel, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Alex Ravenel

    Alex Ravenel Guest

    Wow. What a storm.

    Parts of Charlotte looked like a warzone.

    I never lost power, but the cable has been out until about an hour ago (no internet! gasp!). Fully
    half the city was without power for quite a while. We missed three days of school for it too.

    Has Nelson been around? Id be interested to know how he fared.

    Course, I know a lot of you will be talking about how pansy us Charlotteans must be, getting knocked
    around like this by some freezing rain ;-)

    --
    --------
    Alex Ravenel http://www.theravenel.net

    Tags:

  2. Jacknorman

    Jacknorman Guest

    "Alex Ravenel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Wow. What a storm.
    >
    > Parts of Charlotte looked like a warzone.
    >
    > I never lost power, but the cable has been out until about an hour ago (no internet! gasp!). Fully
    > half the city was without power for quite a while. We missed three days of school for it too.
    >
    > Has Nelson been around? Id be interested to know how he fared.
    >

    > Course, I know a lot of you will be talking about how pansy us
    Charlotteans
    > must be, getting knocked around like this by some freezing rain ;-)
    >
    > --
    > --------
    > Alex Ravenel http://www.theravenel.net

    Stop your complaining..... It was 85 today in So. Calif., talk about rough!!! I think I just might
    need to put a long sleeve shirt on tonight bbrrrr.... jacknorman

  3. | "Alex Ravenel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > Wow. What a storm.
    | >
    | > Parts of Charlotte looked like a warzone.
    | >
    | > I never lost power, but the cable has been out until about an hour ago
    (no
    | > internet! gasp!). Fully half the city was without power for quite a
    while.
    | > We missed three days of school for it too.
    | >
    | > Has Nelson been around? Id be interested to know how he fared.
    | >

    | > Course, I know a lot of you will be talking about how pansy us
    | Charlotteans
    | > must be, getting knocked around like this by some freezing rain ;-)

    I'm okay. My parents live in Cornelius so we spent the two nights w/o power there (mine was back on
    Saturday morning)

    Before folks call us pansies consider:

    Freezing rain is not really as common as snow or sleet.

    This was the most severe storm of its type to hit this area in recorded history.

    We are not used to dealing with such situations.

    I was around for Hurricane Hugo (5 nights without power - lost the top of my wedding cake in the
    freezer) so I've been through this before. The big difference was Hugo hit in September, so the
    nights were mostly bearable. This time, the temps were below freezing every night and my house is
    totally electric and I haven't owned a space heater since moving away from home (in
    89) and my camping stove dates back to college (and never worked well then either) so we weenied and
    headed for the 'rents. Big hot meals, free laundry (first time in 14 years of marriage I've done
    that, so I'm not glomming) and a warm bed (nice mattress, but it's a full and I'm used to a
    queen so it was elbows all night.)

    On top of all that, I'm working for Mecklenburg Furniture now and I've actually already lost 10 lbs.

    Nelson© <--soon to be not-so-chunky

    ---
    All your BASIC are belong to us! Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version:
    6.0.427 / Virus Database: 240 - Release Date: 12/6/2002

  4. Tim Burgher

    Tim Burgher Guest

    85! I am jealous. I want to be out there so I can bike!

    :.)