I'm back

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Martin 'MSeries' Newstead, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Despite the best efforts of the Scottish weather and Scotrail I made it home
    safely this evening, 3 hours later than planned. The final ride from York to
    home was completed like the first day in the rain. There were two rainy half
    days around Inverness apart from that the weather gods were good to me. My
    computer packed in after the first wet night outside (I removed the head
    unit) so my estimated mileage is about 570. Full report will follow but I'm
    not sure when as I am off to the USA on Monday.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Martin 'MSeries' Newstead wrote:
    > Despite the best efforts of the Scottish weather and Scotrail I made
    > it home safely this evening, 3 hours later than planned. The final
    > ride from York to home was completed like the first day in the rain.
    > There were two rainy half days around Inverness apart from that the
    > weather gods were good to me. My computer packed in after the first
    > wet night outside (I removed the head unit) so my estimated mileage
    > is about 570. Full report will follow but I'm not sure when as I am
    > off to the USA on Monday.

    Blimey, that seemed to go quickly. Well done.

    ~PB

  3. Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Martin 'MSeries' Newstead wrote:
    >> Despite the best efforts of the Scottish weather and Scotrail I made
    >> it home safely this evening, 3 hours later than planned. The final
    >> ride from York to home was completed like the first day in the rain.
    >> There were two rainy half days around Inverness apart from that the
    >> weather gods were good to me. My computer packed in after the first
    >> wet night outside (I removed the head unit) so my estimated mileage
    >> is about 570. Full report will follow but I'm not sure when as I am
    >> off to the USA on Monday.

    > Blimey, that seemed to go quickly. Well done.
    >
    > ~PB

    The Royal performed admirably. I fitted a triple chainset (50/38/28) before
    I went, the only mechanical were my tyres (Hutchinson) disintegrating on day
    3, they got me to Edinburgh where I bought some new ones so no real event.

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Martin 'MSeries' Newstead" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > The Royal performed admirably. I fitted a triple chainset (50/38/28)

    before
    > I went, the only mechanical were my tyres (Hutchinson) disintegrating on

    day
    > 3, they got me to Edinburgh where I bought some new ones so no real event.

    Well done Martin :) My Hutchinson Globetrotters lasted 7 days before
    blowing up. Stuck with Schwalbe and Conti tyres since then - no problems.
    --
    Simon M.

  5. Simon Mason wrote:
    > "Martin 'MSeries' Newstead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The Royal performed admirably. I fitted a triple chainset (50/38/28)
    >> before I went, the only mechanical were my tyres (Hutchinson)
    >> disintegrating on day 3, they got me to Edinburgh where I bought
    >> some new ones so no real event.

    > Well done Martin :) My Hutchinson Globetrotters lasted 7 days before
    > blowing up. Stuck with Schwalbe and Conti tyres since then - no
    > problems. --
    > Simon M.

    Mine had done abot 1800 miles, some loaded. I think they were too high a
    pressure as the braids had started to separate and caused the punctures I
    think. When the rear went there was a big air bubble as the outer layer of
    rubber had not yet been perforated. The front inner tube had a line of
    marks, some of which were punctures where the ends of the threads had pushed
    through. I got some Contis from EBC and were perfect for the rest of the
    trip.

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simon Mason
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Martin 'MSeries' Newstead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The Royal performed admirably. I fitted a triple chainset (50/38/28)

    > before
    >> I went, the only mechanical were my tyres (Hutchinson) disintegrating
    >> on

    > day
    >> 3, they got me to Edinburgh where I bought some new ones so no real
    >> event.

    > Well done Martin :) My Hutchinson Globetrotters lasted 7 days before
    > blowing up. Stuck with Schwalbe and Conti tyres since then - no
    > problems.

    What is it with Hutchinson tyres? My Cannondale came fitted with
    Hutchinson Scorpions. They had grip and traction reminiscent of ball
    bearings on a skating rink, and punctured if used within ten miles of a
    hawthorn tree. Needless to say, they now decorate the most becobwebbed
    corner of my shed... are _all Hutchinson tyres rubbish?

    to err is human, to lisp divine
    ;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

  7. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > What is it with Hutchinson tyres? My Cannondale came fitted with
    > Hutchinson Scorpions. They had grip and traction reminiscent of ball
    > bearings on a skating rink, and punctured if used within ten miles of a
    > hawthorn tree. Needless to say, they now decorate the most becobwebbed
    > corner of my shed... are _all Hutchinson tyres rubbish?

    I used to run the old "Blue Line"s without any problems and my Giant
    came with a pair of Carbon Comp super-slick things which were fantastic.
    They punctured easily (I didn't replace them early enough), but the
    traction when cornering fast was amazing.

    Now running a pair of Conti GP3000s which have been good so far. I was
    thinking of changing to 20mm, but my mate has had a total of three
    sidewall failures with the 20mm GPs.

    Jon

  8. Simon Brooke wrote:

    > What is it with Hutchinson tyres? My Cannondale came fitted with
    > Hutchinson Scorpions. They had grip and traction reminiscent of ball
    > bearings on a skating rink, and punctured if used within ten miles of
    > a hawthorn tree. Needless to say, they now decorate the most
    > becobwebbed corner of my shed... are _all Hutchinson tyres rubbish?

    I used to use the blue lined Profil-U tyres and liked them alot. I also used
    Hutchi Kevlar Excel Gold which I liked too so was a little dissappointed
    with these ones - they were cheap though.

  9. On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:10:06 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

    > ..... my Giant
    > came with a pair of Carbon Comp super-slick things which were fantastic.
    > They punctured easily (I didn't replace them early enough), but the
    > traction when cornering fast was amazing.

    My Giant came with these too and they punctured all the time from almost
    new. I changed them as soon as I possibly could.

    --
    Michael MacClancy
    Random putdown - "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his

  10. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    > What is it with Hutchinson tyres? My Cannondale came fitted with
    > Hutchinson Scorpions. They had grip and traction reminiscent of ball
    > bearings on a skating rink, and punctured if used within ten miles of a
    > hawthorn tree. Needless to say, they now decorate the most becobwebbed
    > corner of my shed... are _all Hutchinson tyres rubbish?

    I used a pair of Hutchinson Acrobat MTB tyres on my old commuter bike
    every and never had a puncture in 4000 miles. Painfully slow, though.

    Chris

    --
    |C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
    Remove the bars to contact me