I'm back!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dieter Zakas, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. Dieter Zakas

    Dieter Zakas Guest

    Hi, group!

    I moved recently, and my ISP was suspended in the process. Now I'm back in
    business!

    Or am I?

    I moved from a 1-BR garden apartment on the first floor, to a studio
    apartment on the second floor of a building more than a century old. Aside
    from size - it's appreciably smaller than my old place, as it will fit
    entirely within the living room of my old place - it HAS NO STOVE! How am I
    to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...

    Oh, well...

    Dieter Zakas
     
    Tags:


  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Dieter Zakas wrote:
    > Hi, group!
    >
    > I moved recently, and my ISP was suspended in the process. Now I'm

    back in
    > business!
    >
    > Or am I?
    >
    > I moved from a 1-BR garden apartment on the first floor, to a studio
    > apartment on the second floor of a building more than a century old.

    Aside
    > from size - it's appreciably smaller than my old place, as it will

    fit
    > entirely within the living room of my old place - it HAS NO STOVE!

    How am I
    > to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...


    Welcome back!

    So what kind of appartment has no stove... Mr. HOTPLATE... does it at
    least have an indoor terlit?
     
  3. On Fri 18 Mar 2005 07:41:02p, Dieter Zakas wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Hi, group!
    >
    > I moved recently, and my ISP was suspended in the process. Now I'm back
    > in business!
    >
    > Or am I?
    >
    > I moved from a 1-BR garden apartment on the first floor, to a studio
    > apartment on the second floor of a building more than a century old.
    > Aside from size - it's appreciably smaller than my old place, as it will
    > fit entirely within the living room of my old place - it HAS NO STOVE!
    > How am I to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...
    >
    > Oh, well...
    >
    > Dieter Zakas


    Easy Bake Oven?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
     
  4. aem

    aem Guest

    Dieter Zakas wrote:
    [snip]
    > - it HAS NO STOVE! How am I
    > to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...
    >
    > Oh, well...
    >
    > Dieter Zakas


    microwave, toaster oven, rice cooker, electric skillet -- but next
    you'll tell us there's no sink, let alone a dishwasher.... -aem
     
  5. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    >
    > Easy Bake Oven?
    >


    LOL, I had one of those! A light bulb & tiny little round cake pans.
    It worked, but the texture sucked.

    I was going to suggest a large toaster oven :)
    Or, actually, nowadays with the convection/micro ovens, he could get by
    pretty well with either one of those & a 2 burner hotplate.
    Toaster ovens are cheaper though, than a convection oven.
     
  6. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    aem wrote:
    > Dieter Zakas wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> - it HAS NO STOVE! How am I
    >> to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...
    >>
    >> Oh, well...
    >>
    >> Dieter Zakas

    >
    > microwave, toaster oven, rice cooker, electric skillet -- but next
    > you'll tell us there's no sink, let alone a dishwasher.... -aem


    I lived in an apt. with no stove or oven, sink yes, and I made do with all
    of the above suggestions until the microwave blew. Seriously, you can do a
    lot with a toaster oven, a hot plate (2 burner minimum) and even a coffee
    maker. Coffee maker? Well, it has a heating element, doesn't it? I've
    used it to cook shrimp in a pinch.

    kili
     
  7. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    Dieter Zakas <[email protected]> wrote:
    > - it HAS NO STOVE! How am I
    >to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...
    >

    Welcome back. A few years after we were married we moved to another
    state for a job appointment and had 3 days to find a place. It was
    rental, and we had problems getting the lord to let us replace the
    stove (a bizzare tale in it's own right) - anyway, the short of it is
    that we lived for almost 2 years with one working burner (oven was
    broken), a toaster oven and one of those new-fangled microwaves (about
    $500 back then IIRC.) We did just fine. We also lived with a lot of
    mice, but that's too disgusting to get into. So I would think a
    hotplate, toaster oven and microwave will see you through. Sheldon
    has some good info on an induction "burner" that he passed on to me -
    if you don't mind parting with some significant cash, it's a good
    option.
     
  8. [email protected] (AlleyGator) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Sheldon
    > has some good info on an induction "burner" that he passed on to me -
    > if you don't mind parting with some significant cash, it's a good
    > option.
    >


    a single burner unit ain't that pricey...under $150 if you look around
    a bit on the net. I use the one I bought a fair bit.

    --
    No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
    Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
    Continuing to be Manitoban
     
  9. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > Dieter Zakas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> - it HAS NO STOVE! How am I
    >> to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...
    >>

    > Welcome back. A few years after we were married we moved to another
    > state for a job appointment and had 3 days to find a place. It was
    > rental, and we had problems getting the lord to let us replace the
    > stove (a bizzare tale in it's own right) - anyway, the short of it is
    > that we lived for almost 2 years with one working burner (oven was
    > broken), a toaster oven and one of those new-fangled microwaves (about
    > $500 back then IIRC.) We did just fine. We also lived with a lot of
    > mice, but that's too disgusting to get into. So I would think a
    > hotplate, toaster oven and microwave will see you through. Sheldon
    > has some good info on an induction "burner" that he passed on to me -
    > if you don't mind parting with some significant cash, it's a good
    > option.


    I get the feeling due to the downsizing of residence there isn't a
    significant amount of cash flow. Also not a significant amount of space -
    studio apartments tend to have "kitchenettes". I'd go with a combo
    microwave-induction or as large a toaster oven/broiler as possible and a hot
    plate (2 burners).

    Jill
     
  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Dieter Zakas wrote:
    > Hi, group!
    >
    > I moved recently, and my ISP was suspended in the process. Now I'm
    > back in business!
    >

    Welcome back!

    > Or am I?
    >
    > I moved from a 1-BR garden apartment on the first floor, to a studio
    > apartment on the second floor of a building more than a century old.
    > Aside from size - it's appreciably smaller than my old place, as it
    > will fit entirely within the living room of my old place - it HAS NO
    > STOVE! How am I to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...
    >
    > Oh, well...
    >
    > Dieter Zakas


    You've gotten some good suggestions. Probably don't have a lot of counter
    space so maybe the combo microwave-convection oven and a hot plate would do
    the trick.

    Jill
     
  11. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > AlleyGator wrote:
    > > Dieter Zakas <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> - it HAS NO STOVE! How am I
    > >> to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...
    > >>

    > > Welcome back. A few years after we were married we moved to

    another
    > > state for a job appointment and had 3 days to find a place. It was
    > > rental, and we had problems getting the lord to let us replace the
    > > stove (a bizzare tale in it's own right) - anyway, the short of it

    is
    > > that we lived for almost 2 years with one working burner (oven was
    > > broken), a toaster oven and one of those new-fangled microwaves

    (about
    > > $500 back then IIRC.) We did just fine. We also lived with a lot

    of
    > > mice, but that's too disgusting to get into. So I would think a
    > > hotplate, toaster oven and microwave will see you through. Sheldon
    > > has some good info on an induction "burner" that he passed on to me

    -
    > > if you don't mind parting with some significant cash, it's a good
    > > option.

    >
    >
    > I get the feeling due to the downsizing of residence there isn't a
    > significant amount of cash flow.


    Not necessarily, especially not with rentals... often folks get an
    opportunity to advance their career significantly but need to move to
    cities where real estate values are exhorbitant... folks can relocate
    from say some back-water burg in TN where they can easily afford a nice
    three bedroom house to a job paying 2-3 times as much in say NYC, but
    where even with the big pay hike they can barely afford a dinky studio
    apt. Is it worth it, only the individual can say, but many will say a
    NYC entry level position in many professions will lead to far reaching
    career advancement, which is absolutely unavailable in hillybilly
    country.

    > I'd go with a combo microwave-induction or as large a toaster

    oven/broiler as possible and a hot plate (2 burners).

    Hmm, I don't think there is any such thing as a "microwave-induction
    combo"... perhaps you mean a "microwave-*convection* combo". I think
    the better choice is a convection toaster oven and a separate
    microwave.... and an electric hot plate of course. I don't think the
    US is quite ready yet for induction cooking, leastways not in rental
    units... the better (more efficient) induction cookers require 208Vs.

    Sheldon
     
  12. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> AlleyGator wrote:
    >>> Dieter Zakas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>> - it HAS NO STOVE! How am I
    >>>> to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...
    >>>>
    >>> Welcome back. A few years after we were married we moved to another
    >>> state for a job appointment and had 3 days to find a place. It was
    >>> rental
    >>> Sheldon has some good info on an induction "burner" that he passed
    >>> on to me - if you don't mind parting with some significant cash,
    >>> it's a good option.

    >>
    >>
    >> I get the feeling due to the downsizing of residence there isn't a
    >> significant amount of cash flow.

    >
    > Not necessarily, especially not with rentals... often folks get an
    > opportunity to advance their career significantly but need to move to
    > cities where real estate values are exhorbitant... folks can relocate
    > from say some back-water burg in TN where they can easily afford a
    > nice three bedroom house to a job paying 2-3 times as much in say
    > NYC, but where even with the big pay hike they can barely afford a
    > dinky studio apt.


    Okay, so if they can't afford more than a dinky studio, what makes you think
    they (and I'm not targeting Dieter specifically here) can shell out cash for
    a special burner thingey like Alleygator mentioned? Especially since it
    takes a while to adjust to the new higher costs of living even with the pay
    hike?

    Is it worth it, only the individual can say, but
    > many will say a NYC entry level position in many professions will
    > lead to far reaching career advancement, which is absolutely
    > unavailable in hillybilly country.
    >

    Depending on your profession, the opportunities to advance are the same
    anywhere unless you work for a tiny company with no growth potential or live
    in a teeny town with no "business" other than WalMart.

    >> I'd go with a combo microwave-induction or as large a toaster

    > oven/broiler as possible and a hot plate (2 burners).
    >
    > Hmm, I don't think there is any such thing as a "microwave-induction
    > combo"... perhaps you mean a "microwave-*convection* combo".


    Yep, that was a typo.

    I think
    > the better choice is a convection toaster oven and a separate
    > microwave.... and an electric hot plate of course.
    >
    > Sheldon


    Whatever :) Counter space will be at a premium in a studio apartment.
    Hell, it's at a premium in my 2 br./2 bath flat!

    How are the kitties? Are you still "snowed in"?

    Jill
     
  13. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > > jmcquown wrote:

    >
    > >> I'd go with a combo microwave-induction or as large a toaster

    > > oven/broiler as possible and a hot plate (2 burners).
    > >
    > > Hmm, I don't think there is any such thing as a

    "microwave-induction
    > > combo"... perhaps you mean a "microwave-*convection* combo".

    >
    > Yep, that was a typo.


    Hmm, that's the stretchiest typo I ever saw... that's an error alright
    but not any kind of typographical error... that kind of error is called
    a brain fart! <G>

    Sheldon
     
  14. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> Sheldon wrote:
    >>> jmcquown wrote:

    >>
    >>>> I'd go with a combo microwave-induction or as large a toaster
    >>> oven/broiler as possible and a hot plate (2 burners).
    >>>
    >>> Hmm, I don't think there is any such thing as a "microwave-induction
    >>> combo"... perhaps you mean a "microwave-*convection* combo".

    >>
    >> Yep, that was a typo.

    >
    > Hmm, that's the stretchiest typo I ever saw... that's an error alright
    > but not any kind of typographical error... that kind of error is
    > called a brain fart! <G>
    >
    > Sheldon


    Okay, since AlleyGator mentioned Induction, my brain was stuck on Induction.
    You satisified? <G>

    Jill
     
  15. One time on Usenet, Dieter Zakas <[email protected]> said:

    > I moved from a 1-BR garden apartment on the first floor, to a studio
    > apartment on the second floor of a building more than a century old. Aside
    > from size - it's appreciably smaller than my old place, as it will fit
    > entirely within the living room of my old place - it HAS NO STOVE! How am I
    > to cook? "Meet Mr. Microwave," folks...


    We're going to a resort next weekend that has fridge and dishwasher,
    but no stove -- I'm taking my camping stove:

    http://www.amazon.
    com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AUSQO/qid=1111253740/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs
    _ap_i4_xgl200/104-3344051-2000702?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846

    or: http://tinyurl.com/3op8b

    Don't forget crock pots, steamers, or toaster ovens; you can cook
    a lot of great stuff in them too... :)

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is
    filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
     
Loading...