I'm becoming aggressive towards car drivers!

looseleftie

Apr 17, 2014
Hello, I am a pacifist by nature, but since I began cycling, I tend to get a little frustrated (to say the least) with some car drivers, who fail to give way when u are crossing on a green light intersection, or who pull out instead of stopping and giving way to u at an intersection... I think my anger is based around the fact that I don't relish the prospect of getting hit by a car, and I am hoping that by being assertive (well maybe a touch aggressive regrettably ) in my demeanour, that perhaps I will make my point with these idiots!! I was crossing an intersection this morning, and a car almost failed to stop for me!! I become rather irate, and gestured accordingly in the general direction of the driver..This is not the first time that this has happened with this intersection.. I am a defensive cyclist, and am always wary of side roads, interesctions, and going too fast for the average early morning car driver to see me hurtling down a hill.. I always acknowledge a driver who gives way to me at an intersection with a quick thank u hand gesture (it's not needed, but feel good to acknowledge them), and also for drivers to realise that cyclists are nice people! Love others thoughts on this Cheers guys

Reactions: MookiePlays
I have given up on trusting car drivers and ride on a path where I still run into people. People will injure me less than a car- a car hitting me could kill me.

At that point, no matter how hurried the car driver is, I get off my bike and walk it across any intersections I come across. That way if they are in a hurry I don't have to play Frogger and risk getting hit.

One guy that rides on the path I'm on wasn't so lucky- he got hit and wound up flying into a group of shrubs. Early in the day, no one around, he was in bad shape until someone decided to look around because they noticed bicycle debris.

Not worth the risk. I love cycling but the drivers where I live are in too much of a hurry and there's too many of them.

How long have you been cycling?

It's pretty common for newer cyclists to start noticing some bad behaviour from the "ignorant" ones and they become hostile towards them.

Me at the moment after 5years of non-stop cycling -with only 4 crashes-
big-smile.png
I am currently having road-rage issues towards babies in cycle paths.

Mom drives a huge SUV in the street to get her child to play "cyclist" in the cycle path. Ofcourse after annoying a few cyclists on her way to the path, she finds no parking near and double parks the car further blocking the traffic and making the situation to road cycling even worst.

Then takes her baby and sets it loose on the cycle path, which ofcourse is a playground because its "just bicycles".

Then I come along in the cycle path, which is the only place where I can go with 50km/h without worrying for car debris and motor vehicles popping from the corners.

I am doing a nice steady 50km/h and then the baby just makes a sudden left for no reason and lands on it's little baby ass right in front of me 5 meters away or something.

So I brake and I brake and I brake, hitting the sidewalls of my 100euro tires on the bike path markers, before just going to the left or the right to avoid the crash, suggesting to it's mom to *%^&%^ her self
big-smile.png
(true story!
big-smile.png
).

I'm using the paths by choice and although they tend to be more popular to slower speeds, I can still get a descent work out, if the fellow users can keep going straight for more then 1 meter and dont just zig-zag all over it at 5km//h.

It would make zero-difference for them to just cycle next to the path, they are going with walking speed anyway. But nooooo the little kiddy should play cyclist now in the cycle path "coz that's where bikes go now!".

How about buying them a little toy car and leaving them in Freeway too!!! But nooo, the freeway is for cars! Not toy cars! But the Bike Path is Ok for Toy-Bikes, because they... are still bikes?!!!!

*%^&%^ 'em, I hate them, I hate them, I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM!!!!!
big-smile.png

Mmmm feeling a bit better now.
big-smile.png

There are many idiots out there, but it would help everybody out if you keep your composure, hard as it may be.

Volnix, always enjoy reading your animated tales of adventure and hatred from your exotic yet undisclosed location. But really, you were going 50 kph on a bike path with children around? Don't they have a posted or published max speed limit for bike paths? Believe in our town, the limit on the few dual-use paths we have is 15 mph...... about half the speed you were traveling.

Children on foot or on bikes are totally unpredictable, that's just the way it is. And in your mysterious country (Zenobia?), I'll bet they would hold you legally responsible in event you hit a child or any pedestrian.

PS, as you can tell, I'd appreciate you disclosing your location, at least to the nearest country. For a while, I thought it was Spain or Italy (when you were ranting against the gypsy's), but your command of the King's English makes me think you are a native speaker. Care to at least drop a hint? GPS coordinates, native language spoken, historical clues...I'd take anything.

I know where he is but didnt know it was a secret. Exotic, I guess so but ancient in history for certain.

Quote: I am doing a nice steady 50km/h and then the baby just makes a sudden left for no reason and lands on it's little baby ass right in front of me 5 meters away or something.

Nice and steady at 50km/h (31.25mph)? around kids?

At that speed, you have 360ms to react to someone falling that distance in front of you.

If you can hold 50km/h, nice and steady, stop being a wussy and ride out on the road with traffic.

Reactions: lectraplayer
+1--If you can keep up with traffic like that, why not participate? It may be safer to "be a car."

Originally Posted by maydog

Nice and steady at 50km/h (31.25mph)? around kids?

At that speed, you have 360ms to react to someone falling that distance in front of you.

If you can hold 50km/h, nice and steady, stop being a wussy and ride out on the road with traffic.
That's 359ms more then he needs.

Volnix has the reflexes of a cat wired on PCP.

Originally Posted by jhuskey

I know where he is but didnt know it was a secret. Exotic, I guess so but ancient in history for certain.

Awesome, because I was worried that I would get stalked by Alienator in a black hooded jersey in his carbon Look 666 or something.
big-smile.png
At least now I might be able to be tracked in case I wake up in a warehouse full of pink-brown folding bikes!
big-smile.png

Exotic, hmmm not so much...
big-smile.png
You should visit btw.
smile.png

Originally Posted by dhk2
Don't they have a posted or published max speed limit for bike paths?

Care to at least drop a hint? GPS coordinates, native language spoken, historical clues...I'd take anything.

There isn't a speed limit there. There are only some signs that state that it is supposed to be a cycle path. It's in Southern Europe, somewhere. Not telling you because Alienator might have gone deep cover and there are mille - mille wackos there.

Thanks for the lingo - compliment. I was living in the UK for about 7 years. Hence the "Centre" instead of "Center" etc... I also speak German!
big-smile.png

So wir koennen vieleicht auch auf Deutsch sprechen? Das wurde sooo super sein... Wir konnten uber alle die heisse themas diskuttieren. Fahrraden, Wursteln, Veganismus usw...
big-smile.png

Originally Posted by swampy1970
That's 359ms more then he needs.

Volnix has the reflexes of a cat wired on PCP.

Me so fast...
big-smile.png

Originally Posted by maydog

The car road is slower, traffic lights, worn out roads etc. I live near the seaside in the middle of a big city. If I want to go to the centre-centre it's about 6min from the bike path. Around 20 from the road. Around 40 with the bus. Around 60 with a car etc.

Anyway, it's probably just common sense that a cycle path is not a place for 2yo kids in baby-trikes... Just like the highway is not a place for bikes, but after the "accidents" that actually became a law at last.

There is some police there sometimes. I might ask them the next time I see them.

Originally Posted by lectraplayer

We probably need to close this thread. It looks a bit like a troll.

He made 14 posts before posting that! Might be new cyclist road-rage!
big-smile.png

I tend to always have my hands over both my bikes anytime I come to an intersection of any type on a road. I am always expecting cars to not see me, or not to give way. I look at the driver and ensure they have seen me before I relax any. A driving instructor told me once to treat every other driver on the road like a complete moron. I apply this when I drive my car, and apply it with a cherry on top when I ride on the road. If riding for you has become this "taxing" I would suggest you stick to public transport or drive. Personally my ride to work is a lot more relaxing than driving, so I prefer to ride.

Im in the same position as you. When I began cycling, I was fairly calm and made sure to respect drivers. However, as the years passed by, my frustration grew. There are a multitude of idiots on the road. My only advice for you is to stay calm and remember that they don't understand us cyclers. They don't understand that we do this for fun. Just don't get into a fight. :p

[SIZE=11pt]Most car drivers are really not respectful to bikers because they are thinking that they must have the right of way since they are in four wheeled vehicles. This must not be the case because bikers are prone to accidents since they are on two wheels only and have a higher risk of being badly injured when encountering accidents. It is nice to encounter drivers who have road etiquette and have the respect to bikers because they know the dangers of cycling in traffic or high ways. I guess these are people who are avid bikers also because I have observed those drivers that lack etiquette are usually not into cycling. I hope there will be a better traffic management here in our area for cyclists because there are no bike lanes here and the bikers are always facing danger when riding along the highway. If bike lanes are impossible to place then I hope they will have stricter rules in respecting cyclists. [/SIZE]

I don't think it matters if you are riding, walking, or driving... there are bunch of horrible, selfish, and/or impatient drivers. It's like 90% of them think they own the road and its more important that they get to where they're going than it is for you to get to where you're going, intact

Whenever I come up at an intersection, I always put my hands on the handlebars. You never know when the ignorant driver is going to poke out for a turn and get in your way.
I basically have the mindset that every driver is out to kill me. This is partially because I lived in China for a couple years. Yes, what they say about Asian drivers is completely true. I don't yell at them or anything, but in the back of my mind I prep for the worst and ride accordingly. You can never be too safe when on a bike and dealing with drivers. 99 of the time if you get hit you're the one that's going to get injured and they're not.

I can understand where you're coming from, many car drivers do not pay attention like they should in these scenarios. Unfortunately that just means that us as cyclists need to continue to drive extremely defensively, and be prepared for anything caused by a negligent driver.

looseleftie said:
Hello, I am a pacifist by nature, but since I began cycling, I tend to get a little frustrated (to say the least) with some car drivers, who fail to give way when u are crossing on a green light intersection, or who pull out instead of stopping and giving way to u at an intersection... I think my anger is based around the fact that I don't relish the prospect of getting hit by a car, and I am hoping that by being assertive (well maybe a touch aggressive regrettably ) in my demeanour, that perhaps I will make my point with these idiots!! I was crossing an intersection this morning, and a car almost failed to stop for me!! I become rather irate, and gestured accordingly in the general direction of the driver..This is not the first time that this has happened with this intersection.. I am a defensive cyclist, and am always wary of side roads, interesctions, and going too fast for the average early morning car driver to see me hurtling down a hill.. I always acknowledge a driver who gives way to me at an intersection with a quick thank u hand gesture (it's not needed, but feel good to acknowledge them), and also for drivers to realise that cyclists are nice people! Love others thoughts on this Cheers guys
Hello, I am trying to help improve the experience and relationship between cyclists and motorists. Would you be willing to share and give more imput to your experience by completing this short survey? Thank you :)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/126Q9hRY80ADylFRmnZKj0VHNNmrzU6_9zJEVVZloEpE/viewform?usp=send_form

dbjc said:
Hello, I am trying to help improve the experience and relationship between cyclists and motorists. Would you be willing to share and give more imput to your experience by completing this short survey? Thank you :)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/126Q9hRY80ADylFRmnZKj0VHNNmrzU6_9zJEVVZloEpE/viewform?usp=send_form
Well, i am not clicking on the link, but seriously, I am wondering in all sincerity, if this is some kind of joke, or are you working on a dissertation of some sort. Okay. Looked at your profile, you are sincere, so I think.

I will give you my limited input on your interest in expanding your knowledge between products and people. People driving cars, especially trucks think they are king of the road and bikers should get out of the way. Bikers, like my daughter, think motorist should pop off. Both love their product, be it a car or bike, and basically think each other should keep out of the way. Anyone who can bring these two groups of people together and solve this aggression deserves a Noble Peace Prize. Just my opinion, of course.

Oh yeah, and apparently, from us all reading Volnix's enjoyable commentary, sometimes bikers do not get along with other bikers.

Sadly I do not think it will make your point, I am a fairly aggressive person which is why I have to keep a constant lid on it. And people like me will respond to aggression with more aggression, some people will back down but for the most part I don't believe they will. An plus you do not want to aggravate someone into turning from aggressive to violent. I totally get what you mean though and can see why you are, I would just never recommend that anyone become aggressive like me.