im beginner, bunch of questions. help please

CCrunner

Sep 26, 2005
hi, im a 15 yr old male who runs for the cross country. im thinking about start cycling but i have no idea where to begin. I read the sticky note on the top but i have some more questions.

so i know i need to get a bike.. i think im going to go to a bike special store near me and ask the guy (and also get some info on some bikes before i go bc i dont wanna be ripped off)

and then do i need to buy all those cycling clothes? would it be weird if i didnt wear them. and also, would it be really uncomfortable if i didnt wear sunglasses because of the winds and all. last of all, this is kind of weird questoin i guess, but i'm pretty skinny becaue i do a lot of running for the cross country, so would i look rreally weird on those cycling clothes?????
thanks

Sunglasses are good for keeping june bugs ut of your eyeballs at 30mph....You would weirder with no clothes...Eh? Contrary to street wisdom you can ride a bike with street clothes.

Ok firstly yes, you need a bike and it is wise to go to a specialty store to get the right idea, but shop around to get the best deal as bike shops are all different.

Sunnies are essential because they stop the wind drying you eyes in high wind and on downhill runs, plus when you get to high speeds they also stop bugs hitting you in the eye (which really hurts!) they also stop glare so you don’t have to squint and reduce your vision of the road.

You don’t need to get fully kitted out in lycra! Have you ever heard the term "all the gear, and no idea"? You don’t want that to be you.

That being said the knick’s (cycling shorts) have a padded crotch, to ease the pain of long rides and make the whole cycling experience much more enjoyable, the top only reduces the wind resistance and keeps you warm a T-shirt would be fine but I would recommend buying some gear if you are going to get fully into cycling you can usually pick up a jersey and some knick’s for cheaply off e-bay, see how you like it first.

As for looking skinny I don’t know many rotund cyclists! Im a marathon runner too so I know what you mean, but don’t be intimidated we all had to start somewhere! And believe me after a few weeks of hitting the hills you will have quads of steel!...............wax them it drives the ladies wild

Good luck, let us know if you have any more questions

CCrunner said:
hi, im a 15 yr old male who runs for the cross country. im thinking about start cycling but i have no idea where to begin. I read the sticky note on the top but i have some more questions.

so i know i need to get a bike.. i think im going to go to a bike special store near me and ask the guy (and also get some info on some bikes before i go bc i dont wanna be ripped off)

and then do i need to buy all those cycling clothes? would it be weird if i didnt wear them. and also, would it be really uncomfortable if i didnt wear sunglasses because of the winds and all. last of all, this is kind of weird questoin i guess, but i'm pretty skinny becaue i do a lot of running for the cross country, so would i look rreally weird on those cycling clothes?????
thanks
Do you intend to cycle on or off road?
Cyclists tend to be skinny guys as well, and lycra (Spandex) looks better on you if you are lean. Not everyone who rides wears cycle-specific clothing, but it does make sense. The wrong type of shorts can lead to problems; cycle shorts have padding and no uncomfortable seams. If you are going to try cycling in running shorts, check that your tackle isn't on display.

Iron Man said:
And believe me after a few weeks of hitting the hills you will have quads of steel!...............wax them it drives the ladies wild

Good luck, let us know if you have any more questions
Yes of course, wax your legs......

Don Shipp said:
Do you intend to cycle on or off road?
Cyclists tend to be skinny guys as well, and lycra (Spandex) looks better on you if you are lean. Not everyone who rides wears cycle-specific clothing, but it does make sense. The wrong type of shorts can lead to problems; cycle shorts have padding and no uncomfortable seams. If you are going to try cycling in running shorts, check that your tackle isn't on display.
im planning to cycle on the road. but wouldnt it be dangerous with the car right next to you?

if i wanted a decent bike, how muhc would i be looking at?

Heres a list of items I bought to get started with if you plan to ride more then 3 times a week. I don't want to scare you off, but its expensive especially if you want to ride with a club.
Trek 1000 Entry Level Road Bike $600.00
Pump...one to install on the bike $25 and one floor pump $25
Cycle computer....$50 or more
Cycle Shorts...20 per pair for entry level shorts
Cycle Shirt...$20 per shirt
Club Fees $50 to $100
Helment from $35 to $200 I recommend buying no cheaper then a $70 dollar helment, cause the others will over heat. Get size specific, not the universal sizes.
Extra tubes....6 bucks
Car Rack...$50 to $150 or more
Clipless pedals $50 to $200
Clipless Shoes $50 to $200
Cycling Socks $5 buck
Non Chaffing skin creme $15
Cleaning items and tools....$50
Bike Stand....$20 to $200
Gloves $15 or more

I've already bought a second bike, Specialzed Tarmac Comp 06 $2100.00 and I still have to get pedals, bike pump, a better bike stand and a cycling computer that does everything so thats an additional $200.00, for this bike.

CCrunner said:

thanks

vchu7105 said:
Heres a list of items I bought to get started with if you plan to ride more then 3 times a week. I don't want to scare you off, but its expensive especially if you want to ride with a club.
Pump...one to install on the bike $25 and one floor pump $25
Club Fees $50 to $100
Helment from $35 to $200 I recommend buying no cheaper then a $70 dollar helment, cause the others will over heat. Get size specific, not the universal sizes.
Extra tubes....6 bucks
Cycling Socks $5 buck
Gloves $15 or more

I've already bought a second bike, Specialzed Tarmac Comp 06 $2100.00 and I still have to get pedals, bike pump, a better bike stand and a cycling computer that does everything so thats an additional $200.00, for this bike.
Are you serious?
You can live without a floor pump,
You can live without a cycle computer,
A car rack? He's 15!!!
You can live without cycling socks,
You don't need non-chaffing cream,
A bucket of water and soap and a sponge doesn't cost $50.
You certainly don't need a bike stand.
SPD's and shoes are nice, but again, you can live without 'em.
That's $310.00 saved at least. Hell of a lot of money for anyone, let alone a 15 year old.

It would be stoopid to buy ALL cycling gear at once, #1 because its expensive, #2 because you dont need it.

IMHO, heres the list of gear you need/will need, sorted in order of importance to cyclist:

0- Bike / helmet (bike: obvious, helmet: can't ride without it)
1- Shorts (you really need these for any ride longer than 20 miles)
2- Gloves (you'll be able to ride more confortable, ergo longer)
3- pedals/shoes (will increase your performance)
4- floor pump (will not increase you performance, but you'll save heaps of time)
5- Jersey (this is a bit overrated IMHO)

You'll also need some sort of minitool kit as you get better in fixing your bike.

shannons dad said:
Girls shave or wax their legs...:)
Shannons dad should ask shannon for some tips, you dont want in-grown hairs:D once you get that silky smooth feeling there is no looking back:rolleyes:

my own recommendations:

get a bike - i'd recommend 1 of 3 options:

- go cheap: you're 15, so presumably don't have a lot of money to throw around in the first place. spend about $100 - $200. consider it as a bike to learn maintenance on (you'll need to) and one which you'll be getting rid of in about 5 years time. parts will be cheap. in 5 years, you'll probably be able to afford a nicer bike and will be able to maintain it without bending things and stripping threads

- go with a mid-level bike: spend somewhere between $500 - $900. the frame will likely be one that will hold up for many years, and the mid-level components can be upgraded one-by-one, years down the line

- go all the way: save your money till you're 20 or 25, buy a $3000 - $5000 bike, pay someone at a bike shop to take care of it for you, and get some lycra shorts and jerseys(preferably team discovery). in the mean time, read this forum daily so you can learn how to spew. expect to need a new bike within a few months because you'll have destroyed it by doing something asinine. after that, you'll need a new bike yearly to maintain your stable.

get a helmet - i recently bought a new helmet with plenty of ventilation for about $25

get some basic bike tools: a few spanners, tire levers, pump, patch kit, etc. your dad probably already has most basic tools.

get a bike maintenance book

padded gloves and sunglasses: definitely nice to have, but not strictly essential

lycra? - well, if you're into prancing around like a dandy, by all means go ahead. otherwise, wait till you're seriously racing or otherwise feel the need. if your saddle fits you, you won't need padded shorts. if your saddle doesn't fit well, shorts will make a marginal difference, but you'd be better off finding a saddle that's comfortable. being a cross-country runner, i image your legs are lean. if you should suddenly find yourself with fat, flabby thighs, lycra may help with chafing.

club fees? - if you're an average kid, you've probably got friends. ride with them. are you a loner? ride by yourself. use a fraction of the money saved on club fees to get your dad drunk and have him spring for a bike.

find a $25 beater at a garage sale and ride that till you figure out what you want and can get the bucks to buy it.

hope my 2 cents helps

If you want to ride, buy a walmart bike for $69 bucks. It does the same. I have to ask all the other riders. I know all you guys have the items I've listed and more.

CCrunner said:

thanks

vchu7105 states:

"I know all you guys have the items I've listed and more."

speak for yourself.

here's what i don't have (and have never had) from your list:

Club Fees $50 to $100
Extra tubes....6 bucks
Cycling Socks $5 buck

what i DO have in addition to your list:

- $25 helmet
- about 2 or 3 bucks worth of cleaning stuff consisting of old rags, old tooth brushes, soft steel wool, white gas i use for camping and some alcohol(both sorts)
- the right tools for just about any job short of repairing my frames
- a patch kit: i buy tubes as needed

the fact that there are a lot of poseurs(is that the correct french spelling?) out there, doesn't mean we all are.

how about ditching your car rack and riding your bike to wherever you're planning to ride? that way, maybe you could burn off enough thigh fat so you wouldn't need non-chafing skin creme. of course, being someone for whom each bike needs its own pump(isn't 2 enough), i don't actually expect you actually heed my suggestions. only speaking rhetorically. just please refrain from slandering "the rest of [us]guys" by inferring that we all come from the same money-to-burn, gotta-look-oh-so-cool mind set as you

Jersey: totally optional; old t-shirts work well.
Cycling shoes: great, but an old pair of runners/gym shoes will work fine.
Pedals: get a bike with toe clips, or install them on the pedals it already has. (Clipless are great, but optional)
Pump: one decent frame pump will do!
Shorts with chamois: these are a big improvement over seamed ordinary shorts. they are much more comfortable. They are not expensive. Everyone wears them, so you won't look like a poseur, just like someone who knows what he's doing.
Gloves: the main reason for wearing these is to protect your palms when you crash, not for poseur value. They don't actually make much difference in terms of comfort. They are definitely worth it.
Patch kit and one spare inner tube; tyre levers; chain oil; rag.
Helmet.

Other things are totally optional for a beginner.

If you want to ride as a beginner, fine then all you need is a bike and helment. If you plan to ride more miles, then you will eventually want most of the items. As for gloves, if you plan to ride more then 2 hours without much of a break, it's a good idea to get gloves. What it amounts to is the type of riding you do. I put myself in the beginner class in May of 05. By my first club ride 2 hours later, I realized I needed shorts and gloves cause my ass and hands hurt. Have the shorts and gloves worked? Yes, I rode a Century ride a month ago and I do not believe I would have finish without shorts and gloves. He's 15 but I am assuming that since he is on this web site, he wants advice of what is the typical gear that is needed. I know that most of the club guys I ride with have the basics (helment, gloves, shorts, pumps, shirt, arm wamers) and a bit more.

artemidorus said:
Jersey: totally optional; old t-shirts work well.
Cycling shoes: great, but an old pair of runners/gym shoes will work fine.
Pedals: get a bike with toe clips, or install them on the pedals it already has. (Clipless are great, but optional)
Pump: one decent frame pump will do!
Shorts with chamois: these are a big improvement over seamed ordinary shorts. they are much more comfortable. They are not expensive. Everyone wears them, so you won't look like a poseur, just like someone who knows what he's doing.
Gloves: the main reason for wearing these is to protect your palms when you crash, not for poseur value. They don't actually make much difference in terms of comfort. They are definitely worth it.
Patch kit and one spare inner tube; tyre levers; chain oil; rag.
Helmet.

Other things are totally optional for a beginner.