I'm Biking Across America. What Bike do you Recommend?

timbercrash

Feb 28, 2010
I'm going to bike across America over the Summer. I'm not an avid biker whats so ever, but I'm absolutely up for the challenge of biking 3,0000 miles. I'm going to be carrying a lot of gear, including water, food, clothing, etc...
What bike do you recommend?

timbercrash said:
What bike do you recommend?
A bike capable of going distances and carrying your gear, such as a Trek 520. See link: Trek 520 - Brickwell Cycling Fitness & Multisports - Great Neck, New York

Very few shops stock this bike, and very few companies are making this kind of bike, so a next best alternative is what I call the sport-cyclocross bike. This is a cyclocross (racing in the mud) type bike that has been adapted to touring/sport/commuting duty by equipage with triple chainrings, wide-range cassettes, tires that are suitable for road and trail, and plenty of eyelets for mounting things like racks and fenders. The Specialized Tricross Sport is a good example of this kind of bike. Frames and bikes for this purpose are also made by Gary Fisher, Surley, and Redline. Ask your local dealers to help you find or spec out a bike.

And make sure it is equipped with nothing less than Shimano Ultegra. ;) Naw, just joking. Just ask your local shops how to equip such a bike within your budget.

My initial facetious reaction was to say: a Harley!

But the real answer will depend greatly on whether you will have a support vehicle making the trip with you (in which case you're not really needing a touring-type bike with luggage capacity), as well as what the route will be (all paved?).