I'm buying a new bike, but haven't bought one since 1988 when I bought my Specialized Rock Combo...

is a hub the same for MTB and road?

can I put an SRAM cassette on a Shimano hub?

cheers

lubaloo wrote:
> is a hub the same for MTB and road?

yes and no. The overall width may be a bit different. Road rear is
130mm OLN, MTB rear is 135mm. Otherwise teh freehub/cassette is the
same. And you can even swap MTB freehubs onto road hubs and vice versa
(in some circumstances)

> can I put an SRAM cassette on a Shimano hub?

Yes. SRAM make shimano compatible cassettes (which are better value
than the shimano ones.)

...d

On 14 Oct 2005 06:44:07 -0700, "lubaloo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>is a hub the same for MTB and road?

Road hubs tend to be lighter.
MTB hubs tend to be more rugged and have better weather sealing.

>can I put an SRAM cassette on a Shimano hub?

Don't know but SRAM gears should index shimano sprockets and vice
versa. They are spread the same distance across the cassette.

Campagnolo Chorus Flat Bar is completely incompatible. (and above your
budget).

in message <[email protected]>,
lubaloo ('[email protected]') wrote:

> bike's now booked into Argos for tomorrow!
>
>>that leaves £40 for the rear wheel,
>>which is not quite as much as I'd want to spend, but for example an
>> M:Wheel Alivio X221 would cost £46

> how much would you want to spend and what improvement would I see? I'm
> now renovating this into a nice bike so don't mind stretching a little
> beyond my initial budget! Can you give some examples of specific wheels
> on wiggle?

The Alivio is a fairly low end hub and I'd be a bit leary about bearings
(this may be unfair). An XT hub would be better. I'd also want
double-butted spokes. But personally I'd go for for a Mavic Crossride at
about £65, because in my experience Mavic wheels are really good.
Obviously you can spend more and get better, but the Crossride is pretty
good.

Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To murder men and give God thanks?
Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for
murther
-- Roburt Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'