I'm buying a new bike, but which one???

Xeys

May 22, 2003
Ok, I'm considering 3 different bikes and a possible refit of my OCR 3. 1. San Lorenzo(Bianchi) Mainly want the low wieght of this bike. I've lost a lot of wieght and my climbing has improved immesurably... But am worried about the "fatigue factor".

2. Boron Centaur(Bianche) Is there any real difference between this "boron steel" and the steel of other bikes?

3. Vigorelli Ultegra(Bianche) Yep, another steel bike. Is thee any difference other than gruppo?

4. Refit my ocr3 with centaur.

5. And this has nothing really to do with it, but for cyclocross am considering the "Axis" by - You guessed it, Bianche. Any opinions?

I am trying to reward myself. I have gone from 176 to 152 since Nov. It was hard( I rode my bike so much my butt turned into steel), so I'd like to splurge a bit Not interested in anything other than what I've mentioned here. I would like advice and opinions from people who actually have and ride these bikes. The last part is important. I ride my bike every day and am concerned with the durability and longetivity of my purchase. Plus my first road race season is almost upon me and I will be using this bike for racing, centuries, time trials(with clip on bars), and am looking for the bike that will be the best for all these things, all around. By the way, does anyone else's girlfriend think they are crazy for spending 2-3 grand on a bicycle?

Cecil

Originally posted by Xeys
Ok, I'm considering 3 different bikes and a possible refit of my OCR 3. 1. San Lorenzo(Bianchi) Mainly want the low wieght of this bike. I've lost a lot of wieght and my climbing has improved immesurably... But am worried about the "fatigue factor".

2. Boron Centaur(Bianche) Is there any real difference between this "boron steel" and the steel of other bikes?

3. Vigorelli Ultegra(Bianche) Yep, another steel bike. Is thee any difference other than gruppo?

4. Refit my ocr3 with centaur.

5. And this has nothing really to do with it, but for cyclocross am considering the "Axis" by - You guessed it, Bianche. Any opinions?

I am trying to reward myself. I have gone from 176 to 152 since Nov. It was hard( I rode my bike so much my butt turned into steel), so I'd like to splurge a bit Not interested in anything other than what I've mentioned here. I would like advice and opinions from people who actually have and ride these bikes. The last part is important. I ride my bike every day and am concerned with the durability and longetivity of my purchase. Plus my first road race season is almost upon me and I will be using this bike for racing, centuries, time trials(with clip on bars), and am looking for the bike that will be the best for all these things, all around. By the way, does anyone else's girlfriend think they are crazy for spending 2-3 grand on a bicycle?

Cecil
Your weight is not really an issue,but if you are really worried that much about durabiltiy ,stay away from the crazylight stuff.The boron used by Bianchi is a tubeset or alloy used by a a number of others.Bianchis has broken alot,but they give a lifetime warranty with it. Who cares what GF has to say about it. If she doesn't straighten up find another one, as it will just get worse.

Originally posted by Xeys
By the way, does anyone else's girlfriend think they are crazy for spending 2-3 grand on a bicycle?

Cecil

Actually my wife is the opposite .. not only does she encourage me to buy what I want as long as it won't put a cramp on our lifestyle and bill paying, she has helped find me deals on what I'm after. The newest bike addition will be a Specialized Big Hit a bit later this year along with the singlespeed MTB I'm building right now.