Im completely clueless..

chris414

Nov 10, 2006
Hey guys

Im a roadie and know next to nothing about track racing... but it looks so cool and it would play right into my cycling strengths! What would a bike cost (aprox.) / wat are a couple in the market just to get started (nothin too fancy or expensive!), just a good solid bike?

Chris

chris414 said:
Hey guys

Im a roadie and know next to nothing about track racing... but it looks so cool and it would play right into my cycling strengths! What would a bike cost (aprox.) / wat are a couple in the market just to get started (nothin too fancy or expensive!), just a good solid bike?

Chris
As long as the bike is the correct size, it isn't as important as to which bike you buy, as it is for the road. The difference between the second hand $500 bike and the $5,000+ BT or whatever is a lot less than it would be if we were talking road bikes.

Go and visit your local track during a training session and talk to the other riders there. You never know, they may have a spare bike that they will sell you at a reasonable price.

chris414 said:
Hey guys

Chris
What level roadie are you? What are you good at on the road, crits, TTs?

chris414 said:
Hey guys

Chris
Go to your local club and check if you can hire a club bike and have a try at some of the racing first. Compared to road rideing, track raceing is a very different beast indeed. As you get used to no gears or brakes then start looking at getting something.

You can pick up a pretty basic unit to get you strated for about $1k anywhere now. Hillbrick and Avanti seem to bee the basic 2 for beginers. You may also need to pick up an extra chain ring or sprocket bepending on what gear ratio it is running. Also you may need to replace the tyres if your rideing indoor tracks compared to out door. So thats about $1k for bike and about $150 - $300 for bits and bobs (only if you need em) and your away.

But most important, go to your local club first and have a good look and a try at it first. No use spending money you can't get back if you don't like it!

Howdy!

Im another total newbie to track cycling - and just purchased a hillbrick. Its great :) Anything beats the bikes (if they qualify as that) that u can borrow to try riding track on though.

Changed a few things on it - front forks / tyres and still ended up being a reasonable price. best thing is - its all mine to have lots of fun on!!!! :cool:

have fun!