I'm getting a mountain bike for free, and need advice.

don1867

Apr 10, 2006
My work has a reward program which is going to allow me to get a Gary Fisher Marlin for free. The problem is that I think it will be shipped to my house in a box, and I'm going to need a few tools and some technical help beyond what the directions will probably provide. I'm fairly well mechanically inclined, but have no experience with mountain bike assembly and maintenance.
Does anyone know what tools I'll need and what I can expect to spend on them, both for assembly and maintenance? Is there a sub-forum here or a site somewhere that can help me with the assembly? I could possibly pay a bike shop to assemble it, but I'd really like to do it myself so I can learn how to repair and maintain it myself.
Also, does the fact that the front fork has a lockout on it mean that I can set the front suspension to be solid for when I ride on the street? Is the fork on that bike adjustable?
Thanks for helping the new guy.

Hey that’s why you have bike mechanics and car mechs they create special tools for the simplest of tasks.

Assembling the bike should not present many problems, however some bottom brackets require special tools. And some tools adapted for certain tasks make life easier.

A good MTB maintenance book should cover all you need to know.

Yes you are spot on with the lock out evaluation, the switch allows you to stiffen the shock and lock it out totally if you so require.

I would be surprised if GF doesn’t send it to an LBS and have them assemble it. I don’t think the warranty is good unless an LBS assembles the bike. If you do have to do the assembly it shouldn’t be too bad.

First thing to remember is to flip the stem over. They are generally packed with the stem in the lower of the two positions available. Loosen the screws on the stem. Unscrew the allen screw on the top of the steer tube. Lift steer tube cap and allen screw off. Be careful because the front fork will slide out (downward) if you don’t hold it up. Slide the stem off, flip it over and put it back on. Snug the steer tube screw, with cap, down but don’t tighten it completely yet. It doesn’t need to be real tight anyway.

Then put the handle bars on. Adjust for pitch (Tighten the bolts like you would putting a wheel on a car. Tighten each one a little at a time and try to get the spacing equal on top and bottom). You may want to sit on the bike later and adjust the bars again to get them comfortable for you.

Put a very little bit of grease on the skewers before putting them through the hubs. Put the wheels on. Make sure they are properly seated and tighten down the quick release levers.

Put some air in the tires

Put a little bit of grease on the inside of the seat tube. Loosen the quick release and slide the seat post, with seat, into the seat tube. Tighten the quick release back (this may require some adjusting on your part).

Put a little grease on the threads of the pedals and screw then on. Right side standard threads. Left side left hand threads. Should be a 15mm wrench for this. Not too tight; thats aluminum you are screwing those steel threads into.

Double check everything. Especially the handlebars and steer tube. It’s not fun later when you turn the handlebars and the wheel doesn’t.

Hopefully the shifters are set up pretty well from Fisher and you don’t have to mess with them. If not take it to your LBS and let them do it. It’s a learning process and somewhat of an art to adjust front and rear derailers really well.

Now go out and have fun

Thanks for the advice. I guess this won't be too bad.
What's killing me is that I live in florida, with no real hills to speak of and right now I'm visiting family in NW pennsylvania. There can't be more than 2 square feet of flat land in the whole county. Every time I look out a window, all I see is forest and steep hills with streams at the bottom. Well, I guess I'll bring it with me next time.
BTW, I don't think it comes directly from GF. I order from the rewards program. I think they then order from GF and have it shipped to me. Oh, well. I may not get a warranty, but I'll save around $500. Good deal in my book.

I dont know how they would enforce the no warranty thing. It says something about it on the boxes. Fisher has a lifetime frame warranty so if anything ever happened I would just take it to a dealer and they would probably send it off to Fisher and you would get a replacement.

I finally got my bike, and I'm loving it!! It was assembled by Zanes Bicycles in connecticut. They were great to work with.They special ordered it so I could get the color I wanted, even though it was ordered through a rewards program which gave me no option for choosing a color. They were friendly and helpful throughout.
I've added a kickstand, got a combination lock for it and some lights. Soon, I may change out the seat for one that is a little more comfortable with built in LEDs, so I can get rid of the rear seat-tube-mounted LED which will let me mount a flat pack there. First, though, I'm thinking of taking off the Bontrager Jones tires and putting on a thinner tire with a very smooth tread. I think I can go as low as 1.5" width on the stock rim. I'll keep the stock tires for when I go on a trail, but since I ride mostly on the street they don't really work that well for me. It's sort of like climbing a series of 1/8" hills every 1/2" of my ride.
My LBS wants $20 to $24 dollars per tire. Walmart wants something like $7 to $11. I wonder where I should go........

don1867 said:
Thanks for the advice. I guess this won't be too bad.
What's killing me is that I live in florida, with no real hills to speak of and right now I'm visiting family in NW pennsylvania.
Ahme. Where do you live in FL? If you're in Miami, I DO pity you. In Tampa, I am 1.5 hours from all of the best rides in the state. If you can ride Alafai, Santos, and Razorback well, then you are reasonably skilled to ride just about anywhere in the US. Our hills are short and STEEP, which requires much more technique and balls than any long down or uphills. You dont get the prolonged "Whoooooooo!" factor, but we've got some good stuff. Dont sell the state short by any means.

don1867 said:
I've added a kickstand... may change out the seat for one that is a little more comfortable with built in LEDs...thinner tire with a very smooth tread...
Good god, I thought you got a MTB! Do yourself a favor: mtbr.com has a good trail review section. Find a trail and club near you and ride off road. Then forget this silly talk of fat ass gel seats, blinking lights, and tiny tires. Please. The Marlin is a decent bike to start with.

And dispose of the kickstand. Ask anyone who has implaed tehir calf on one what they think about em. Just lean you bike one something or lay it on the ground. You wont kill it.

triguy98 said:
Good god, I thought you got a MTB! Do yourself a favor: mtbr.com has a good trail review section. Find a trail and club near you and ride off road. Then forget this silly talk of fat ass gel seats, blinking lights, and tiny tires. Please. The Marlin is a decent bike to start with.

And dispose of the kickstand. Ask anyone who has implaed tehir calf on one what they think about em. Just lean you bike one something or lay it on the ground. You wont kill it.
I agree... if you want just a "ride it on the sidewalk around the park bike" sell it and get a Giant Cypress, or comparable comfort bike. Give your beast the respect it deserves and go out and trash it on some good trails. I will bet you the seat it came with is pretty good quality, and lose the kickstand. There is a lot of fun to be had tearing yourself up on the trails.