I'm goin' down to N'Orleans

FredC

Oct 22, 2004
I read that the US goverment will be charging all citizens $8000 for a natural disaster occuring for reparation. Surely it can't be true.

FredC said:
I read that the US goverment will be charging all citizens $8000 for a natural disaster occuring for reparation. Surely it can't be true.
I put this thread up ages ago. Why don't you care about N'Orleans then?

FredC said:
I put this thread up ages ago. Why don't you care about N'Orleans then?

Katrina is old news now. We have had two more hurricanes and a bunch of tornados,floods etc. and the media has moved on.
Out of sight,out of mind and most of the media are, out of their mind, that is.

jhuskey said:
Out of sight,out of mind and most of the media are, out of their mind, that is.
Yes, according to the "Bedrockington Times" The media is a self perpetuating publicity stunt.....

FredC said:
what happens if you dont have a spare 8 grand in the bank..?

MountainPro said:
what happens if you dont have a spare 8 grand in the bank..?

MP,

Believe me it is the same the world over; Just because you don't have 8g's in the bank doesn't mean the tax man won't bill you.

Its quite simple really, the tax rate is adjusted slightly to take account of things. There's nothing more certain than death and taxes!!!

Kind regards,

or, to put it another way, you go to jail?

god bless america...

James Bruce Gil said:
MP,

Believe me it is the same the world over; Just because you don't have 8g's in the bank doesn't mean the tax man won't bill you.

Its quite simple really, the tax rate is adjusted slightly to take account of things. There's nothing more certain than death and taxes!!!

Kind regards,

limerickman said:
You get repatriated back to New Orleans, perhaps ????
Most of the footage I saw of N'Orleans refugee folk were that they were all blacks, who probably didn't have the money, or means to escape the carnage.

MountainPro said:
or, to put it another way, you go to jail?

god bless america...

MP,

Over here in Aus, the tax man just takes the money you do have in the bank, and every time any money does go into your account they take that too.

If your money goes into a joint account, they just keep going back and taking half of whats there.

You know most of our laws are based on the legacy that the UK left us with.
So it might be worth checking things out over your way. Its possibly similar.

Kind regards,

James,

as a self employed person, i have the headache of filling out a self assessment form every year. The govt takes that, re-arranges a few figues and then sends you a bill in the post. If you dont pay it, then you go to jail.

national insurance and income tax from my other job do come out of my wages but not out of my bank account. I dont think they can touch your bank account without some special order.

James Bruce Gil said:
MP,

Over here in Aus, the tax man just takes the money you do have in the bank, and every time any money does go into your account they take that too.

If your money goes into a joint account, they just keep going back and taking half of whats there.

You know most of our laws are based on the legacy that the UK left us with.
So it might be worth checking things out over your way. Its possibly similar.

Kind regards,

MountainPro said:
James,

as a self employed person, i have the headache of filling out a self assessment form every year. The govt takes that, re-arranges a few figues and then sends you a bill in the post. If you dont pay it, then you go to jail.

national insurance and income tax from my other job do come out of my wages but not out of my bank account. I dont think they can touch your bank account without some special order.
MP,

I'd honestly be surprised if they can't help them selves to you bank accounts as a matter of law, but I don't know the law over your way.

You see if the government arrests you and throws you in the can, it costs them to keep you and they never recover the cash.

While your outside and earning they have some chance of recovering the money.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
MP,

I'd honestly be surprised if they can't help them selves to you bank accounts as a matter of law,
the inland revenue is a govenment department, they can do pretty much what they want.

they can arrest your account if a misdemeanor has occured on your part, but the the govts. main way of collecting taxes in this country is through your employer who pays income tax and NI on your behalf to the IR, or through a tax return and NI contributions in the form of a cheque if you are self emplyed. They do not routinely debit your bank account.

MountainPro said:
James,

GOD bless Scotland.

Chance3290 said:
GOD bless Scotland.
The difference between the British system of justice and what passes for it in the us is that the us government has far more power.
A few things that are common to all fascist regimes-those of ******,mussolini,franco,soeharto, pinochet-and saddam hussain.Let's not leave out the best-dubya.
Constant use of patriotic mottos,slogans,symbols,songs.
Flags are seen everywhere.
Disdain for human rights.
Because of fear of enemies,(largely invented),people are persuaded that human rights can be ignored.
People tend to look the other way or even approve.
Identification of enemies or scapegoats:people are unified into a patriotic frenzy over the perceived need to defend themselves against a common foe.
Supremacy of the military(which receives a disproportionate amount of funding)
Obsession with national security.
Fear is used as a motivational tool.
Corporate power is protected,labour power is suppressed.
Unions eliminated or suppressed.
Sound familiar?
Huey Long said it best-"When fascism comes to the us, it will come wrapped in the american flag."
Huey Long was right and so was George Orwell.

MountainPro said:
the inland revenue is a govenment department, they can do pretty much what they want.

they can arrest your account if a misdemeanor has occured on your part, but the the govts. main way of collecting taxes in this country is through your employer who pays income tax and NI on your behalf to the IR, or through a tax return and NI contributions in the form of a cheque if you are self emplyed. They do not routinely debit your bank account.

MP,

It works much the same here, however if they think you owe them money then they get it every way possible and that includes debiting bank accounts that they think may have some of your money in them. In general they won't arrest you until all other possibilities have been exhausted.

A couple of years ago, after a property sale, the money was placed in a joint investment account, while I was waiting for an opportunity to buy another property. Interest at the time was over 10% so I made and declared quite a sum of money over a 15 month period. As it spanned two tax years and the second year the declared sum was much less that the former, so the tax man got suspicious.

For the next couple of years until I had my day in court, the taxation man kept taking any money that was put into my savings accounts and half the money in a joint account periodically, even though in the end he had siezed more than 3 times the declared sum of the first year.

After the litigation I got the money back, but it made life very hard for a while. Incidently the sleazy little tax man made the smart comment leaving the court that I had won this time.

Basically they can do as they please.

Kind regards,