I'm going with steel. 2003 Specialized Allez Comp Cro-mo

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brad Behm, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Brad Behm

    Brad Behm Guest

    I finally decided to replace my damaged trek 2100 frame with a steel one. I realized it's a little
    heavier but that's not such a big deal to me. My dad tells me 'steel is real' and all that jazz. Now
    I need to know about a good steel frame.

    I've noticed not many bike companies make steel frames anymore and I'd like to get something new.

    So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent models?

    second: I'm looking at a 2003 Specialized Allex comp Cro-mo frame. Has anyone used this one? Likes
    and dislikes?

    Please let me know what you think

    Thanks

    Andrew

    Tags:

  2. Steve Shapiro

    Steve Shapiro New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    Well, for racing bikes, if you have some time to wait and money to spend then Richard Sachs has a great reputation. http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachs2.html

    Rivendell has a variety of steel bikes including racing, touring and custom made. Some are stock and may be available now others may take longer. It depends on what you want.
    http://www.rivbike.com/

    In any case, these are a couple of fun sites to browse.

    Good luck,

    Steve Shapiro

  3. Steve Shapiro <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well, for racing bikes, if you have some time to wait and money to spend then Richard Sachs has a
    > great reputation. http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachs2.html
    >
    > Rivendell has a variety of steel bikes including racing, touring and custom made. Some are stock
    > and may be available now others may take longer. It depends on what you want.
    > http://www.rivbike.com/

    good lord, steve. i don't think he meant a frou-frou money machine.

    specialized allez cr-mo ($1630), surly pacer, soma road, jamis quest ($1300), gunnar roadie ($1800)

    gunnarbikes.com, somafab.com, jamisbikes.com, surlybikes.com,

    or shit, go ti. get a habanero. habcycles.com
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  4. Brad Behm

    Brad Behm Guest

    Well I can get the specialized allez cr-mo with carbon frame for $300 new. So I think that's
    pretty good.

    -andrew

    "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Steve Shapiro <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Well, for racing bikes, if you have some time to wait and money to spend then Richard Sachs has
    > > a great reputation. http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachs2.html
    > >
    > > Rivendell has a variety of steel bikes including racing, touring and custom made. Some are stock
    > > and may be available now others may take longer. It depends on what you want.
    > > http://www.rivbike.com/
    >
    > good lord, steve. i don't think he meant a frou-frou money machine.
    >
    > specialized allez cr-mo ($1630), surly pacer, soma road, jamis quest
    ($1300),
    > gunnar roadie ($1800)
    >
    > gunnarbikes.com, somafab.com, jamisbikes.com, surlybikes.com,
    >
    > or shit, go ti. get a habanero. habcycles.com
    > --
    > david reuteler [email protected]

  5. Brad Behm

    Brad Behm Guest

    fork. I meant carbon fork.

    sorry

    -andrew

    "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Steve Shapiro <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Well, for racing bikes, if you have some time to wait and money to spend then Richard Sachs has
    > > a great reputation. http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachs2.html
    > >
    > > Rivendell has a variety of steel bikes including racing, touring and custom made. Some are stock
    > > and may be available now others may take longer. It depends on what you want.
    > > http://www.rivbike.com/
    >
    > good lord, steve. i don't think he meant a frou-frou money machine.
    >
    > specialized allez cr-mo ($1630), surly pacer, soma road, jamis quest
    ($1300),
    > gunnar roadie ($1800)
    >
    > gunnarbikes.com, somafab.com, jamisbikes.com, surlybikes.com,
    >
    > or shit, go ti. get a habanero. habcycles.com
    > --
    > david reuteler [email protected]

  6. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003

    The Allez Comp is a good bike. I knew a guy that had one of the older silver ones and raced it for years. It'd be nice to get a custom steel frame, but it'll cost you about 4 times as much as the bike your considering.

  7. Fig

    Fig Guest

    "Brad Behm" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent models?

    I had a Colnago Master X-Lite for few weeks to try...it is a best steel frame I have ever riden.

  8. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > I had a Colnago Master X-Lite for few weeks to try...it is a best steel
    frame I have ever riden.

    I'll second that, but it's also a bit expensive.

    "fig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Brad Behm" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent models?
    >
    > I had a Colnago Master X-Lite for few weeks to try...it is a best steel
    frame I have ever riden.

  9. Bruni

    Bruni Guest

    Fyi, since the 2100 trek is a medium wt. bonded Al frame, many premium steel frames are lighter.
    Mine range from 2.8-3.8 lb. Tom

    --
    Bruni Bicycles
    "Where art meets science"
    fig <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Brad Behm" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent
    > >models?
    >
    > I had a Colnago Master X-Lite for few weeks to try...it is a best steel
    frame I have ever riden.

  10. brad-<< So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent models? >><BR><BR>

    Torelli, Waterford, Nobilette to name three

    http://www.torelli.com

    http://www.waterfordbikes.com

    http://www.nobilettecycles.com

    Don't expect any shops that only deal with bikes in boxes to have much steel. Way to expensive when
    they see the deal they can make with aluminum.

  11. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

  12. Warren Block

    Warren Block Guest

    Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Brad Behm wrote:
    >
    >> So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent models?
    >
    > You can get a stock Rivendell frame and fork for $990-$1300:
    >
    > http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_rambouilletframes.html
    >
    > A little heavier than your basic frame, but tough as nails, and it will last forever.

    For $1550, you can get a complete Romulus bike. Almost the same frame but with less ornate lugs and
    a plain blue paint job.

  13. Steve Shapiro

    Steve Shapiro New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    The OP is replacing a $1400 bike. Some Rivendell bikes range from ~1500 to 2K. Not so different. But you're right about Sachs being way up there in price. I think it's enjoyable to browse his web site and see what he has to say though. It was offered more in that spirit.

    Steve Shapiro

  14. On 5 Mar 2004, Mike Krueger wrote:
    > Plenty of companies are still producing steel frames. Just off the top of my head, and in addition
    > to those already mentioned: Tommasini, Pegoretti, Moser, Mondonico, Giordana, Merckx, Cervelo,
    > Lermond, Independent Fabrications, Seven, Spectrum, Steelman, Landshark, Hampsten...

    I know there are more than these, but let me pose to ask. Where would Hampsten frames be made?

    Sergio Pisa

  15. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Mike Krueger wrote:

    > Plenty of companies are still producing steel frames. Just off the top of my head, and in addition
    > to those already mentioned: Tommasini, Pegoretti, Moser, Mondonico, Giordana, Merckx, Cervelo,
    > Lermond, Independent Fabrications, Seven, Spectrum, Steelman, Landshark, Hampsten...

    and Marin (Columbus tubing): http://www.marinbikes.com/html/bikes_04_road.html

  16. Smokva

    Smokva Guest

    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I had a Colnago Master X-Lite for few weeks to try...it is a best steel
    >frame I have ever riden.
    >
    >I'll second that, but it's also a bit expensive.

    If you buy a bike like that you'll drive it at least for 10 years and I think that it is worth of
    every (inser your currency) for that time :))

  17. Erik Brooks

    Erik Brooks Guest

  18. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Brad Behm" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I finally decided to replace my damaged trek 2100 frame with a steel one. I realized it's a little
    > heavier but that's not such a big deal to me. My dad tells me 'steel is real' and all that jazz.
    > Now I need to know about a good steel frame.

    Good frames can be made from steel, aluminum, titanium, carbon fiber and probably other materials as
    well. One material is not inherently superior to the others, for the most part. I prefer steel,
    being something of a traditionalist.

    > I've noticed not many bike companies make steel frames anymore and I'd like to get something new.

    That's because of marketing forces. Customers typically think a pound of steel weighs more than a
    pound of aluminum.

    > So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent models?

    Try:

    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com for sport/touring type bikes http://www.waterfordbikes.com for
    racing, sport and touring bikes http://www.gunnarbikes.com for racing, cyclo-cross, touring, MTB
    http://www.ritcheylogic.com for racing bikes.

  19. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    smokva <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> I had a Colnago Master X-Lite for few weeks to try...it is a best steel
    > >frame I have ever riden.
    > >
    > >I'll second that, but it's also a bit expensive.
    >
    > If you buy a bike like that you'll drive it at least for 10 years and I think that it is worth of
    > every (inser your currency) for that time :))

    Correction: at least 50 years, based on one of my bikes. What do I win?

    YMMV, of course, depending on the tube thickness and the use or abuse of the frame.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  20. Eric Larsson

    Eric Larsson Guest

    That Specialized uses a Foco tubeset. Very light and stiff with the feel of steel. And at the list
    price I think Specialized has a value here that's hard to beat.

    news:<[email protected]>...