I'm hoping we didn't just lose a member

serenaslu said:
Very, very sad, indeed. Much to think about...:(
I always enjoyed his posts and his advice was very solid. This forum has lost a friend.
:(

Tragic. Even though this was apparently an unintentional though abhorrent act; it makes me doubly mad that yesterday a popular and serious national radio talk show host was more or less advocating aggressive behaviour and animosity by drivers towards cyclists who dared to ride on their roads!
:mad:

I responded to some of the threads he was involved with but never got" cross ways" with him because I was in agreement with him most of the time.

DAMN! I will collect myself and try to respond later with something coherent,but this is something I must consider and digest. I am at a loss right now.

I haven't posted in awhile, in fact I haven't even viewed the forum lately. I decided to take a look today & I see this post.

I almost always looked to boudreaux' posts as the final answer to all questions regarding mechanics. I would normally skip the replies of other members to get to boudreaux, now we know Jim Price's replies. Others have argued with him but very rarely convinced him or me that he was incorrect.

I shall miss him even though I've never met him nor knew his name until today.

My sincere condolences to his family & to all of us... his extended family.

boudreaux said:
Just an update...I learned from another board my dad frequented that this story has made the national news...it is running on CNN and the FOX networks.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/26/textmessage.death.ap/index.html

They ran the story on the local fox station with our comments and a pic this evening, but they have not posted it to their website as of yet.

Kimberlee
Appreciate you making the effort to come on and confirm the tragic loss of your father to his many friends here. Guess I was in denial until I read your post.

Please accept my deepest sympathy. His deep love of all things cycling was apparent from both the quantity and quality of his contributions. He was a great source of knowledge, and always took great pains (and pleasure) in helping us sort fact from opinions. He will be deeply missed by very many of us here.

After reading all of these posts and finally seeing the photo of Jim posted on the one site with his horseshoe shaped tatto on his calf, I suddenly realized that I crossed paths many times on Denver's Platte River Trail system. I saw Jim many times stopping along with other cyclests at Hudson's Gardens snack shop for water and a bathroom break along the Platte River Trail.

The first time I saw him, his "cyclist cut" peaked my interest; an older gentleman on what I believe was a spectacular rigged out Orange Colnago. The look of the man with sun dried and wrinked skin spoke of a cyclist who had seen many miles and many years in the saddle. I though, this is a "cyclist", and about what adventures and experiences he has been fourtunate enough to see.

As I was leaving, as all cyclist's should do to a fellow cyclist, I sad "great day for a ride", he smiled and said ...Yes it is!

Strange how small the world can be and how just seeing one person can make you rember them.

Rest in peace .....

dhk said:
Appreciate you making the effort to come on and confirm the tragic loss of your father to his many friends here. Guess I was in denial until I read your post.

Please accept my deepest sympathy. His deep love of all things cycling was apparent from both the quantity and quality of his contributions. He was a great source of knowledge, and always took great pains (and pleasure) in helping us sort fact from opinions. He will be deeply missed by very many of us here.

Wugga, that is so cool you actually ran into him on a ride....he would go out for a minimum of 2 hours a day, weather permitting that is. My husband and I would take the kids down to Ocean Journey and see him while we would walk along the platte river next to the little train before heading home..his grandkids thought that was so cool, and grilled us as to why they could not ride their bikes to downtown as well.

As for that tattoo, all I have to say is be glad boudreaux did not hear you call it a horseshoe shaped tattoo. It is actually a bike part...yes he loved cycling that much to get a tattoo of part of a chainring (I believe that is the correct term) as if it touched his leg and made a mark.

Kimberlee

I'm still speechless. I just can't believe this.

I just hope this story gets more national attentions and bring more awareness to stupid cell phone usage while driving. In some states, it is illegal to do so I believe. As is the same in Germany, you can drive fast but you're not allowed to do anything else while driving. They require you to pay full attention to your driving. it seems to make so much sense.

Although I haven't been a member of this board for very long I definitely recognized his unique style and his depth of knowledge. I have just recently taken up cycling and I can see how tight knit a family it can be. My sincerest condolences to all his family and friends. :(
I know it has been said alot already but I feel I must say it again.

He will be dearly missed on this and many other forums. For all of his knowledge, his wit and even his abrasive style which was his charm as well.

God's speed to you Jim.

And as was one of his trademark taglines

Ride Hard, Live Long and Never Give Up!!

boudreaux said:
Just an update...I learned from another board my dad frequented that this story has made the national news...it is running on CNN and the FOX networks.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/26/textmessage.death.ap/index.html

They ran the story on the local fox station with our comments and a pic this evening, but they have not posted it to their website as of yet.

Kimberlee

Yes, I saw the news article on the CNN site. I hope you are comforted, knowing that so many of us saw his knowledge and spunky attitude. All us carpet smokers will miss him.

Boudreaux ( Jim Price ) was like a family member - I looked forward to getting his insight on tough technical questions here on the Forum - I just can't help still being angry over the way things happened - my condolences to his family.

ps : like many others here on the Forum I suppose, I've often tried to imagine what certain other members look like, their age, and their background. Does anyone know if Jim was a bike mechanic by trade or just an enthusiast with a large knowledge base - or both ???

Insight Driver said:
Yes, I saw the news article on the CNN site. I hope you are comforted, knowing that so many of us saw his knowledge and spunky attitude. All us carpet smokers will miss him.
The same article appears in our local newpaper, The Huntsville Times, today.

litespeedguy said:
Boudreaux ( Jim Price ) was like a family member - I looked forward to getting his insight on tough technical questions here on the Forum - I just can't help still being angry over the way things happened - my condolences to his family.

ps : like many others here on the Forum I suppose, I've often tried to imagine what certain other members look like, their age, and their background. Does anyone know if Jim was a bike mechanic by trade or just an enthusiast with a large knowledge base - or both ???

Hello, this is Jim's daughter Kimberlee. My dad picked up the hobby of cycling back in 1997 while in Houston. About 5 years ago (about a year after he retired and moved back to Denver) he really got into rebuilding and maintaining bikes. He had a freakish talent for retaining everything he read, especially things he loved. You should see the basement...bikes, parts, magazines and books everywhere. He had 18 completed bikes out in the garage...He was a bit of an obsessive personality, if he was going to do something he did it all the way, and never the easy way. And all this is in addition to his hunting and camping things as well. But cycling was the one thing he could do everyday, be it riding or working on his bikes.

Kimberlee
[email protected]

boudreaux said:
Hello, this is Jim's daughter Kimberlee. My dad picked up the hobby of cycling back in 1997 while in Houston. About 5 years ago (about a year after he retired and moved back to Denver) he really got into rebuilding and maintaining bikes. He had a freakish talent for retaining everything he read, especially things he loved. You should see the basement...bikes, parts, magazines and books everywhere. He had 18 completed bikes out in the garage...He was a bit of an obsessive personality, if he was going to do something he did it all the way, and never the easy way. And all this is in addition to his hunting and camping things as well. But cycling was the one thing he could do everyday, be it riding or working on his bikes.

Kimberlee
[email protected]

My biggest regret is that he found cycling that late in life. It is big disappointment to me that I never met him in person.
He had a dynamic personality and a vibrant karma,if you will, I could tell.

jhuskey said:
My biggest regret is that he found cycling that late in life. It is big disappointment to me that I never met him in person.
He had a dynamic personality and a vibrant karma,if you will, I could tell.

Yes!! He was the most colorful poster on this forum, he was one of those people that add the proverbial "spice" to life. He will be missed, as will his "hooey" comments. :(
My condolonces to Kimberlee, his family, and everyone on the forum.

Boudreaux, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hopefully you'll still be wrenching in the big bike shop upstairs and showing all of those nose pickers how it's done.

God bless.

boudreaux said:

Kimberlee
[email protected]

Kimberlee,

Thank you for answering our questions about your father.... it definitly gives us some insight who your father was.

The last words I wrote in response to a thread Jim replyed to on these forums, I called him "Grumpy" since he seemed a tad-bit grouchy that day posting... after post. He never did reply back to me calling him "Grumpy" ....... Hopefully he did not take offense to me calling him that :(