Im I doing vo2max the right way?

lilredstang

Feb 15, 2012
hey guys, Im new to the fourm and have a question about vo2max. when i ride i feel that i have the power but not enough in the gas tank to hold the speed. i feel i have read a ton about intervals and i have an idea about them. I have two hours a day at the gym to train i have done above race pace steady LT intervals from 6x10 to 2x30 alot. i think I need VO2MAX so I have been doing 5x5 out of the seat the whole 5 mins and about 75-90 rpm's and holding my heart rate about 95% of max and rest to zone 3. Does this sound to be a good way or NO. any help would be awesome.
Dave Bryan

How is your basic aerobic fitness? Sounds like you have been doing some good threshold work. It takes a good level of fitness to be able to hold the intensity and then to repeat it. Greg Lemond said about the pros and I'm paraphrasing... We hurt just as much, we just go faster. Bike racing is a tactical sport, and as much as fitness translates to potential victory, so too does using whatever gas is in the tank wisely.

It's never easy to hold that kind of intensity for too long without crapping out. If you are unable to complete your set maybe drop it a notch intensity wise. Going from 93% to 91% of maxHR can make a big difference and go a long way to completing the workout. IMO anything over 90% is really VO2 territory. Not many folks, even racers, can hold 95% for 5 minutes. In the stratosphere of HR, 1% can make it or break it. You may also want to try your rest in Z2.

Edit: also you don't need to do out of the saddle unless you like it but it takes some good focus to maintain. A lot of training plans put things in numerical terms, and that's essential for tracking load, but in the beginning there's a learning curve understanding how these numbers translate into one's physical discomfort during the effort, and maintenance thereof, and how hard to run the interval at.

Thank you, when I'm in the saddle I melt my legs and in a med to large gear and get in the 90% but just for a min or two but out of the saddle its just seems easier on my body and shoots up my heart rate and I can hold it much longer I'm just not sure if I should be killing my whole body to benefit or just get my heart rate in that zone? Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk