I'm looking for a fork preferably Ti

OriginalReaper

Aug 5, 2003
I'm thinking about upgrading my fork. My current one is bent (it was very bent, LBS straightened out, still slightly bent.)

I think I prefer Titanium because its the strongest, and the stronger/more durable the better for me.

I use cantilever brakes, and because my bike is touring, i'd like pannier compatability.

What should I look for in a fork?

Oh, really? So Ti is only a frame material, not fork.

So what's better, aluminum? I wouldn't want steel because it can rust.

OriginalReaper said:

Well as Wilmar said, you *can* get a Ti fork, if you want to fork over the cash (har har). You could always do a carbon fork as well. They're pretty popular and probably not as expensive.

OriginalReaper said:

You can get a carbon fork with canti mounts for touring/cyclocross/tandem from chucks bikes http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/ for $165.

I have one on my tandem and I am 200lbs with my stoker at about 140 and we have never had any problems with it. I promise you it will never bend*

Ok well maybe the steerer could, but the legs will just snap rather than bending ;)

I'm worried about carbon because all I hear about it is that it's delicate, and that it's only advantage is its weight. I'm not a cyclist, just a guy who enjoys a ride (currently 30-40 mile rides,) and would rather have something made for durability rather than performance.

OriginalReaper said:
That's nonsense. Even it it might rust it takes nearly forever. If you worry use framesaver in it. Get a steel fork and move on. Or get CF or aluminum...they all work.

OriginalReaper said:
I'm worried about carbon because all I hear about it is that it's delicate, and that it's only advantage is its weight.
That's nonsense.

OriginalReaper said:
I'm worried about carbon because all I hear about it is that it's delicate, and that it's only advantage is its weight. I'm not a cyclist, just a guy who enjoys a ride (currently 30-40 mile rides,) and would rather have something made for durability rather than performance.

I was kidding about the breakage. The only carbon forks I have ever heard of breaking happened from a crash. I agree with Boudreuax, if you just want to replace your fork so you can ride your bike get whatever you feel like spending. You don't need a Ti fork but it is available. Carbon is reliable and you don't need to worry about it being delicate. Steel will probably be just as good as the Ti just RP it and it will be much cheaper. Aluminum would be my last choice because of the ones I have ridden they are rather harsh (and who cares if it is 60 grams lighter on a touring bike). If it were my money I would get the cheap carbon fork I sent you, or a steal replacement.