I'm New Here, Advice Needed..

nige4958

Jun 18, 2015
I've been riding a hybrid for a while. A Fuji Absolute 2.0. I bought it when I bought my mountain bike, but now I need something better. I'm down to two choices. A 2014 Cannondale CAAD10 105 for $1710 out the door, with a $320 store credit, or a 2015 KTM Revelator 3500 Carbon Fiber with all Shimano 105 for $2199, with $220 back in store credit. I've ridden both and they're both fantastic. The Cannondale has Tektro brakes, and Shimano 5700. Both are equipped with a compact crank set. KTM is apparently fairly well known in Europe. Frame is supposedly made in Austria, but I believe it's probably painted there after it's built in Asia. So, thoughts? What would you pull the trigger on.

Cheers,

Kevin

Yes I know this is not what you asked. Many of our good members will give you a "buy this one because X" answer.
I am going to give you something different.
Buy a sub $1000 hybrid. Kona Dew Plus is an amazing specimen of the breed. There are many others.
Unless your liquid net-worth is >$1M. Then go nuts.

Thanks for the reply. I've had a hybrid for nearly 4 years. I want a proper road bike. My liquid net worth is not greater than a million, but I can afford a couple grand on a bike. I will post a pic on this thread when I have made my purchase. Thanks again.

nige4958 said:
Thanks for the reply. I've had a hybrid for nearly 4 years. I want a proper road bike. My liquid net worth is not greater than a million, but I can afford a couple grand on a bike. I will post a pic on this thread when I have made my purchase. Thanks again.
Fair enough, welcome to the forum!
I was kind of being difficult above, because I am often wary of telling new people to spend a lot on a bike. I personally think you can get a great bike for less than a grand.
Anyways I LOVE KTM. I actually had a KTM motorcycle that I love, it was indestructible.

Looking forward to seeing what you pick up!

Cheers mang! I have some interest in the new Trek Emonda ALR with all Ultegra. Keep you posted. Thanks for your time!

Lots of good road bikes on the market, you can even find a titanium bike in the range of that KTM! Like this: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp_slti_xiv.htm I actually have a friend who has one of these and I've test rode it many times and it's a great bike, the welds are very nicely done which was unexpected quite frankly, this is the best deal on the market for a titanium bike. I tried to buy one but when I decided to pull the trigger they were out of stock and didn't get any more for about a year and 4 months, I got tired of waiting and bought a different one.
Or this you can build to suit your needs somewhat: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-ti-sportive-racing?part=BB15RIBTISPRA&sub=conf_BB_ALL&bike=1 This bike frame looks a lot like the Motobecane above so it could be the same manufacture, it does have a taller headtube which would give it a slightly more upright riding position vs the Motobecane.
Or if you want a made in America titanium frame and don't mind spending a bit more than there's this bike: https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/road/bikes-and-frames/sport-series/r140-models.html I have the older version of this same bike which was named the Peloton, and I can vouch for the quality of the build and ride, it's a fantastic bike. The Peloton actually has reinforced headtube bands at the top and bottom that the two other ones do not have, not sure if that matters but it should provide a bit more strength.

Titanium will be more durable than either aluminum or CF but not as light as CF but as light as aluminum, won't rust, crack, corrode, gouge, or smell bad in warm weather, it's also the most comfortable frame material.

I am very familiar with KTM brand, but only on the motorcycle side. Most carbon fiber bikes are coming out of two factories in China and one in Taiwan, so KTM could be made in the same plants as a Trek or numerous other brand bikes are.