Im new, need help Picking the right bicycle.

Jewishjalopi

Apr 1, 2003
Hi Everyone,

Im new to the cycling scene, but I would really like help to pick out a new bike that would fit my riding style the best. I honestly dont have the money to pay for gas anymore and i like getting excersise by riding my bike wherever i can go without a car. I am 6'2'' and I am currently riding an old nishiki modulus that was made for my neighbor (he is around 5'7''). The bike does not fit me real well and my legs do not feel as comfortable on the bike as they should. My budget is pretty small and I would like to spend around $500-700 for a new road bike. I have been to many bike stores in the past couple weeks and have looked at lots of different companies. ie. Cannondale, Fuji, Raliegh, Specialized, Giant etc...

I would like to get everyones input on what bike would be the best for my size and dollar. Do any bicycle companies make more specialized bikes for larger people? Ohh ya, I would like to hear about bikes that i can find that retail about $829 and lower because i can probably find them on sale for $700.

Thanks for all the help,

Jon

...to find a bike that fits you right from any of the companies you have mentioned. And, for your budget, you should definately find a pretty decent ride to boot!

The best way to go about things when you shop between bikes is to go by fit first, components second and frame material a distant third. First, find a bike (or two) that fits you right...that you feel really good and comfortable on.

Then, if you have a choice between different bikes, narrow it down to which one(s) have the better components on them. At your price point, you should be able to get into a bike with Shimano 105 components...quality stuff for sure! If you can't find 105 on your bike(s), Shimano Sora is the net step down, and the ABSOLUTE minimum component set to get. Also, look at the wheels carefully, as some companies will skimp here. You want "brand-name" hubs and rims...Shimano hubs (105 or Sora) and Mavic rims won't let you down.

Lastly, if you still have to narrow your choices down, go by frame material. I have found that although you can get aluminum at this price, steel is a better buy. By going with steel at this price, you will most likely get a quality tube-set from Reynolds, Columbus, etc. instead of "house-brand" aluminum tubes, which will most likely be really "oversized", resulting in a kidney-busting ride. A Reynolds or Columbus tube-set will give you a light bike with a "lively" feel that doesn't beat you up. There is some great aluminum out there...but you have to pay for it.

Last, but not least, buy a bike that you "like." This sounds stupid, but it's true...if you have a bike that you like looking at, like how it feels and like to own, you'll ride it more. And that's the whole point, right?

Just my .03 cents worth...Cheers! :D

Thanks for the advice. I went out today and tried out a specialized, allez model $549 seems like a good deal; weird getting used to the shifters on the brake levers =]. I was also looking at the lemond series bikes. the employee at the store I went to said for 500-700, the quality of the bikes would pretty much be very close together, so he said i should really just go on feel because im not gonna be doing really long rides anytime in the near future.

correction on arvin c

Its 105 then tiagra and then Sora.

Sora is the lowest and the only which is still eight speed, this is really low budget and modest use stuff. But when you want a bike for 500 or 700 getting 105 will be very hard.

Why not consider second hand? you can find better gear for the same or lower price when you don't mind some paint scratches.