I'm new to cycling... any suggestions on essential gear I should buy?

Maverick861

Jul 5, 2013
I'm new to cycling... beginning to train on my own. I've always enjoyed it on my own time, but starting to take it more seriously. As I transition out of recreational cycling... any suggestions on essential gear I should buy?

What do you already have?

Standard things in no particular order include:
-Helmet
-Sunglasses
-Roadside repair kit with spare tube(s), tire levers and some method of inflation (CO2 cartridges or pump) and a way to carry it
-Water bottles and bottle cages on bike
-Clipless pedals and matching shoes/cleats
-Handlebar computer for speedometer or advanced functions (including HR and or power for folks really into training and or racing)
- Bike shorts with good chamois
- Bike jerseys for different weather conditions with rear pockets to hold food, wallet, etc.
- Bike rain jacket that stuffs into pocket for rides on threatening days
- Bike gloves
-Floor pump at home for easy pre-ride tire inflation
-Basic tools for home repairs and bike maintenance
-Work stand for bike if you do a lot of home maintenance

The list could keep going as there are lots of accessories folks use. But the basics are related to: safety (helmet, gloves), self sufficiency on the bike (repair kit, water, food), comfort (bike shorts, good jerseys, rain gear) or ongoing bike maintenance (tools, lubricants, cleaning products).

-Dave

I would add lights if you plan on riding at dawn, dusk, or night. A really good, near-auto headlight output LED is pretty much a must in my book, as well as safety lights to make yourself invisible. GPS either on a smart phone or a Garmin unit is a luxury well worth it - bought mine after I got lost at night in an enormous subdivision and spent like 30-45 minutes trying to find my way back to a main road. Some kind if pack or case to carry items so you don't try to carry too much opinion your pockets, which is uncomfortable. I would also recommend a spare set of your most important keys, car door/ignition, door to your house, Cable and lock.

Thanks for the list, this is very helpful! I'm just at the beginning stages of getting gear... I'll have to buy things as I can afford them. Right now, I'm good on a helmet and I'm looking around town (Tampa) for new bikes.. but when I look at jerseys and shorts online, there's a lot to choose from... I'm thinking about some Castelli cycling shorts I found online... http://www.tourcycling.com/category/82/cycling-shorts.aspx ... does it really matter the brand or style? I've never bought this kind of gear before... I just don't want to spend a lot on clothing if it doesn't really make much difference?

Castelli certainly makes nice cycling clothes but it's very high end and expensive stuff. Nothing wrong with Castelli or other high end brands if it's in your budget but the main performance benefit will be from comfort and you don't need to spend that much cash to be comfortable. Any decent cycling clothing even from places like Performance Bikes or Pactimo will get the job done and if you shop around you can save a lot of cash for other things on your list.

That said if you really want the Castelli gear you'll likely not regret it, our team kit is from Castelli and it's sure nice stuff.

-Dave