I'm not going out after all

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Not Responding, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. Just walked around the garden and decided it's too cold for my planned
    ride. It's not that I'm soft, you understand it's just that there's so
    much ice around that I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy the ride.

    I've become totally paranoid about falling since returning to the
    saddle. Clipless pedals are out of the window and flats are now the
    order of the day. The prospect of landing on my duff side fills me with
    horror.

    Shame really. I'd planned to get a train to Basingstoke and ride home
    with the wind behind me.

    Tags:

  2. archierob

    archierob Guest

    That's not paranoia that's common sense!

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Not Responding wrote:
    > Just walked around the garden and decided it's too cold for my planned
    > ride. It's not that I'm soft, you understand it's just that there's so
    > much ice around that I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy the ride.

    Perfectly reasonable. I think you have to be soft in the head to cycle on
    ice! :)

    > I've become totally paranoid about falling since returning to the
    > saddle. Clipless pedals are out of the window and flats are now the
    > order of the day. The prospect of landing on my duff side fills me
    > with horror.

    Me too, but I might change my mind about clipless pedals.

    ~PB

  4. pete whelan

    pete whelan Guest

    Not Responding wrote:
    > Just walked around the garden and decided it's too cold for my planned
    > ride. It's not that I'm soft, you understand it's just that there's so
    > much ice around that I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy the ride.
    >
    > I've become totally paranoid about falling since returning to the
    > saddle. Clipless pedals are out of the window and flats are now the
    > order of the day. The prospect of landing on my duff side fills me with
    > horror.
    >
    > Shame really. I'd planned to get a train to Basingstoke and ride home
    > with the wind behind me.

    get a trike (conventional or recumbent) for when there is ice around,
    then try a spin it .....

  5. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Not Responding" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just walked around the garden and decided it's too cold for my planned
    > ride. It's not that I'm soft, you understand it's just that there's so
    > much ice around that I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy the ride.
    >
    > I've become totally paranoid about falling since returning to the saddle.
    > Clipless pedals are out of the window and flats are now the order of the
    > day. The prospect of landing on my duff side fills me with horror.
    >
    > Shame really. I'd planned to get a train to Basingstoke and ride home with
    > the wind behind me.

    I can understand your concern. Today was the first time Vernon & I have
    cycled back to Castle Acre post Vernon's being hit by motorist. I went in
    front of Vernon today - and I have to say I was wary of the surroundings -
    just because of that.

    Cheers, helen s

  6. treefrog

    treefrog Guest

    "Not Responding" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just walked around the garden and decided it's too cold for my planned
    > ride. It's not that I'm soft, you understand it's just that there's so
    > much ice around that I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy the ride.
    >
    > I've become totally paranoid about falling since returning to the
    > saddle. Clipless pedals are out of the window and flats are now the
    > order of the day. The prospect of landing on my duff side fills me with
    > horror.
    >
    > Shame really. I'd planned to get a train to Basingstoke and ride home
    > with the wind behind me.

    That's why you should own a mountainbike. Take your 'duff side' off road
    with some big tyres. Honestly, in all but dense ice sheets and verglas on
    rocks, they're unstopable. At least you could get out riding!
    Anyway, I'm off for a roadie ride around hopefully non-icy Rivington.