I'm off the mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mseries

Did my first ride of 2004 last night. After going on holiday for Christmas, snow on January 1st and
3rd I have been chomping at the bit to go cycling. My first ride in a couple of weeks last night,
new computer, new front light, new gloves. Same old route though, pretty dull from the A62/M62
roundabout, along the A650 to East Ardsley, left after the Esso Garage, down the hill over the M62,
round towards Middleton, (through the dark zone) back over the M62 and back along the A650 to
Tingley Bar Fisheries then home through Morley !
--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Did my first ride of 2004 last night. After going on holiday for Christmas, snow on January 1st
> and 3rd I have been chomping at the bit to go cycling. My first ride in a couple of weeks last
> night, new computer, new front light, new gloves. Same old route though, pretty dull from the
> A62/M62 roundabout, along the A650 to East Ardsley, left after the Esso Garage, down the hill
> over the M62, round towards Middleton, (through the dark zone) back over the M62 and back along
> the A650 to Tingley Bar Fisheries then home through Morley !

Hey, I ride around there too! Except when I get Tingley roundabout I drop down into Wakefield and
then head out towards Walton and Newmillerdam before heading either back home or to work in
Wakefield.

Small world

Dene

Dene Wilby wrote:

> Hey, I ride around there too! Except when I get Tingley roundabout I drop down into Wakefield and
> then head out towards Walton and Newmillerdam before heading either back home or to work in
> Wakefield.

Tingley Roundabout ? do you mean the White Bear ? or further on ? I'm not familiar with the smaller
places like Walton and Newmillerdam (heard of this on the local radio weather) but I'll get my map
out tonight

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

MSeries wrote:

> Did my first ride of 2004 last night. After going on holiday for Christmas, snow on January 1st
> and 3rd I have been chomping at the bit to go cycling. My first ride in a couple of weeks last
> night, new computer, new front light, new gloves. Same old route though, pretty dull from the
> A62/M62 roundabout, along the A650 to East Ardsley, left after the Esso Garage, down the hill
> over the M62, round towards Middleton, (through the dark zone) back over the M62 and back along

21 miles on Saturday and a vigorous turbo session last night (I nearly threw up during the third big-
ring interval).

MSeries wrote:

Easing myself back into it after some bad health news over christmas (more later). 30 miles on New
Years day to see the Brighton excelsior 10 mile TT. 11 riders most taking it far too seriously
except Andy Attwood who rode on a 1950's vintage Raleigh sit up & beg with rod brakes, attired
entirely in black and with a bowler hat. Forty miles on Sunday and 35 more tonight. I should be out
again tomorrow & then Saturday & Sunday.

Stan Cox

> My first ride in a couple of weeks last night, new computer, new front light, new gloves. Same old
> route though, pretty dull from the A62/M62 roundabout, along the A650 to East Ardsley, left after
> the Esso Garage, down the hill over the M62, round towards Middleton, (through the dark zone) back
> over the M62 and back along the A650 to Tingley Bar Fisheries then home through Morley !

I got my first ride in tonight. New bike (s/h Dawes Galaxy), new gloves, ALdi's winter cycling
top. My circuit was rather more modest as my son accompanied me on his first 'training' ride. A
forty minute cruise through Moortown, Weetwood, Headingly then Meanwood was sufficient for his
inaugural ride.

I need to tweak the Galaxy for a better fit. It also seams twitchier at the front than my old
Raleigh Equipe.

It was good to get out.

MSeries wrote:

Good for you :)

How far was that (I don't know the area)? I've done 30-odd miles so far this year (since Monday). I
feel considerably fitter than I did just before Christmas, could it be the effect of already
slightly longer days?

Simon

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did my first ride of 2004 last night.

Did my first ride of the year on the first day of the year, 25ish local road miles. Did my second
ride on Sunday off-road on the Ladybower <1> circuit to test my new disc brakes, well the back
one anyway.
<1> Start from Fairholmes car park in the Derwent Valley, head over toward Hallam Moor, drop into
Ashopton then cross over the Ladybower dam through Thornhill and Aston and onto the roman road
to the A57. Cross the A57 climb by Rowlee Farm then drop back to Derwent Reservoir, take the
long way back to Fairholmes via the north end of Howden Reservoir. Nice!

Pete

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:14:08 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
wrote:

>21 miles on Saturday and a vigorous turbo session last night (I nearly threw up during the third
>big-ring interval).

I'm up to 160 miles so far this year, but that's just commuting. It'll be 200 by the end of today.

--
Dave...

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Dene Wilby wrote:
>
> > Hey, I ride around there too! Except when I get Tingley roundabout I drop down into Wakefield
> > and then head out towards Walton and Newmillerdam before heading either back home or to work in
> > Wakefield.
>
> Tingley Roundabout ? do you mean the White Bear ? or further on ? I'm not familiar with the
> smaller places like Walton and Newmillerdam (heard of this on the local radio weather) but I'll
> get my map out tonight

Yeah, that's the one. I basically come up from Robin Hood and then go through middleton on your
route then up to the roundabout, take a left to go into wakefield past the esso garage and then take
your route but then instead of going over the M62 bridge, go straight on to Wakefield then carry on
to Heath Common, Walton, Notton, West Bretton, Horbury Bridge, back into town (or home).

Only doing that route on the road bike though, much shorter at the moment on the MTB

Cheers

Dene

Dave Kahn wrote:

> I'm up to 160 miles so far this year, but that's just commuting.

Don't say that! So far I'm on zero. I've had the 'flu since Saturday. (why I'm up now --
can't sleep)

Simon

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dave Kahn wrote:
>
> > I'm up to 160 miles so far this year, but that's just commuting.
>
> Don't say that! So far I'm on zero. I've had the 'flu since Saturday. (why I'm up now --
> can't sleep)

I would be sympathetic if I hadn't had a heavy cold, cough and sore throat myself for 3 days. Nice
journey in this morning. Moist, yes, but with a strong tailwind. The traffic was so heavy, though,
that my journey time was only average. The homeward leg might be a bit tougher. :)

--
Dave...

arrrgghhhh All you guy's are driving me nut's I'm sat here with my leg in plaster, chomping at the bit to get out and ride, and reading of how lucky you lot are, do me a favour next time your out each of you do a mile for me, cast comes off on the 30th, but may still be another 4-6 weeks before i ride, will try the turbo in that time, have fun guys, going out in the dark, wet and coldi is a lot eaiser than not being able to ride :rolleyes:

Simon Proven wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>> Did my first ride of 2004 last night. After going on holiday for Christmas, snow on January 1st
>> and 3rd I have been chomping at the bit to go cycling. My first ride in a couple of weeks last
>> night, new computer, new front light, new gloves. Same old route though, pretty dull from the
>> A62/M62 roundabout, along the A650 to East Ardsley, left after the Esso Garage, down the hill
>> over the M62, round towards Middleton, (through the dark zone) back over the M62 and back along
>> the A650 to Tingley Bar Fisheries then home through Morley !
>
> Good for you :)
>
> How far was that (I don't know the area)? I've done 30-odd miles so far this year (since Monday).
> I feel considerably fitter than I did just before Christmas, could it be the effect of already
> slightly longer days?
>
> Simon

12.5 miles according to my new computer, as I said earlier in the week at this time of year I
consider every ride a bonus

Dave Kahn wrote:
> Nice journey in this morning. Moist, yes, but with a strong tailwind.

You lucky, lucky *******. There's one long, clear, but very exposed stretch of cyclepath on my
commute where I consider it a bad day if I drop to 20mph. On a good day in summer I'll approach
30mph, if there's no-one coming the other way.

This morning I rode most of that stretch at 12mph. I just managed to touch 16mph, and at one point I
dropped to 9mph against the headwind.

The result was my slowest commute on 2 wheels since I started logging my commuting speeds 3 years
ago. Average speed 11.8mph.

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Dave Kahn wrote:
> >
> > > I'm up to 160 miles so far this year, but that's just commuting.
> >
> > Don't say that! So far I'm on zero. I've had the 'flu since Saturday. (why I'm up now -- can't
> > sleep)

I went out for the first club run of 04. No-one else at the slow group meeting point, thought ah
nice easy ride on my own. Not. met the fast group with Mr I have won every time trial last year (he
has). Made my excuses at the top of Box Hill to go to GB's last day of sale, a lucky escape! ;-)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 20:54:06 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave Kahn wrote:
>> Nice journey in this morning. Moist, yes, but with a strong tailwind.
>
>You lucky, lucky *******.

Not only that, but I stayed late at the office and there was only the gentlest of breezes by the
time I rode home. :))

--
Dave...

Madone <[email protected]> writes:

> arrrgghhhh All you guy's are driving me nut's I'm sat here with my leg in plaster, chomping at the
> bit to get out and ride, and reading of how lucky you lot are, do me a favour next time your out
> each of you do a mile for me, cast comes off on the 30th, but may still be another 4-6 weeks
> before i ride, will try the turbo in that time, have fun guys, going out in the dark, wet and
> coldi is a lot eaiser than not being able to ride :rolleyes:

I shall be out later this morning and will do a very enjoyable mile for you.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

Status
Not open for further replies.