I'm one of them prepared bike types!

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
I don't like to go out unless I know I am prepared! :D

I have a hard time going on for some fun unless I know I have a spare rubber or two laying around.

GP5000 and Gatorskins. :cool:

20200702_145631.jpeg

I don't like to go out unless I know I am prepared! :D

I have a hard time going on for some fun unless I know I have a spare rubber or two laying around.

GP5000 and Gatorskins. :cool:

View attachment 4618
I have mixed reactions - the latest GP5000TLR's are impossible to put on. I finally broke a carbon rim trying to force those things onto a tubeless wheel rim. The earlier versions weren't that tight a fit and when using them I discovered that they have tremendous cornering traction. However, the traction of the compound is so great that the wheel wonders around all over the road with each wrinkle in the road. Finally and this may just my case since I am 190 lbs and so LOTS of climbing and hence high speed descents, the tires wear out rather rapidly. I don't think I got 800 miles and the cord was showing through.

Concerning Gatorskins - I never had flats with them but they don't feel very good - rather wooden and dead. And since their flat repelling layer is only on the traction surface, they can and do get sidewall cuts if you ride in gravel. Presently I'm about to try the Continental 4 Seasons. which has an entire layer of block from rim to rim.

On the road I have been using Vittoria Corsa G+ tires and they haven't given me any troubles. They have very good rolling resistance and exceptional directional stability. That might be a bit of a handicap since I climb so slowly that I'm weaving the front end back and forth and that stability may be slowing my climbing even more.

One of the tires I've had the best luck with is the Michelin Pro4 but presently I haven't been able to find the size 28's anywhere. I find that I have a far higher road speed on these lousy, almost gravely, California roads. Do you suppose they will make more of these or are we going to see Pro5's?

Glad I am not using Conti tubeless. I can remove and replace my clinchers by hand if I try. My Velocity rims and Conti's are a good mix. No trouble at all with installation.

Now Bontrager rims? They were killer for me so I ditched them and went with all Velocity rims on all my bikes to make sure I have no trouble.