I'm pissed...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Harlow, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    Xterra is coming to town this weekend; they're going to race through my favorate local trails. This
    isn't normally a problem but it's been raining a LOT lately and the ground is super muddy. The race
    will destroy the trails. I've heard nothing about them rebuilding afterwards.

    What would you do?

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Xterra is coming to town this weekend; they're going to race through my favorate local trails.
    > This isn't normally a problem but it's been
    raining
    > a LOT lately and the ground is super muddy. The race will destroy the trails. I've heard nothing
    > about them rebuilding afterwards.
    >
    > What would you do?

    Contact the race organizer(s) and ask them what they plan to do to repair the damage. If they don't
    give a good answer, take it to the press (write a letter to the editor of your paper). Hopefully you
    could shame them into at least making a donation to the local trails crew/organization. Xterra seems
    to be making some good money, so they should be able to afford it.

    Matt

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    > > Xterra is coming to town this weekend; they're going to race through my favorate local trails.
    > > This isn't normally a problem but it's been
    > raining
    > > a LOT lately and the ground is super muddy. The race will destroy the trails. I've heard nothing
    > > about them rebuilding afterwards.
    > >
    > > What would you do?
    > >

    > Contact the race organizer(s) and ask them what they plan to do to repair the damage. If they
    > don't give a good answer, take it to the press (write
    > letter to the editor of your paper). Hopefully you could shame them into
    at
    > least making a donation to the local trails crew/organization. Xterra
    seems
    > to be making some good money, so they should be able to afford it.
    >
    > Matt

    I'd only take it to the mountain biking press. If you get something published about how bikers are
    destroying trails, every two bit environmentalist will be all over it.

    Jon Bond

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <sniP>
    > I'd only take it to the mountain biking press. If you get something published about how bikers are
    > destroying trails, every two bit environmentalist will be all over it.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Good point. We're such a cycling community here I forget that the rest of the country isn't like
    that. But to clarify, point out it's the Triathletes, not mountain bikers!

    Matt

  5. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    John Harlow wrote:

    > Xterra is coming to town this weekend; they're going to race through my favorate local trails.
    > This isn't normally a problem but it's been raining a LOT lately and the ground is super muddy.
    > The race will destroy the trails. I've heard nothing about them rebuilding afterwards.
    >
    > What would you do?

    How dodgy are you?

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Xterra is coming to town this weekend; they're going to race through my favorate local trails.
    > This isn't normally a problem but it's been
    raining
    > a LOT lately and the ground is super muddy. The race will destroy the trails. I've heard nothing
    > about them rebuilding afterwards.
    >
    > What would you do?

    Contact Richmond Sports Backers and voice your concerns to them. They've been cooperative
    in the past.

    http://www.sportsbackers.org/

    Mike

  7. John Harlow wrote:
    > Xterra is coming to town this weekend; they're going to race through my favorate local trails.
    > This isn't normally a problem but it's been raining a LOT lately and the ground is super muddy.
    > The race will destroy the trails. I've heard nothing about them rebuilding afterwards.
    >
    > What would you do?

    Have a bunch of the locals standing at the finish line with a few signs, shovels and rakes and a
    "donation" pail.... Make the signs point clear: "Please help us clean up after you".

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:43:55 -0600, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But to clarify, point out it's the Triathletes, not mountain bikers!

    zzzz,zzzz,zzzz

    Just make sure they clean up the mess some how, some way, quickly. Xterra is a well organizing
    group. Shouldn't be any problems.

    Please don't go singling out Triathletes, we're all in this together.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bill Wheeler thoughtfully penned:

    > Please don't go singling out Triathletes, we're all in this together.

    sidelining a bit...

    One of the Iron man's is in Coeur d'Alene next week; moved from Utah because Lake CDA is not so
    rough. In the adjacent town ( post Falls) there's a really nice road route, climbs the shoulder of
    Mica Mountain and traverses it for about 7 miles overlooking the Spokane River Valley.... a nice
    place for a road ride if I do say so myself, even tho I 've never done it.

    well.. I'm a big fan of the letters to the editor page. Some (fat) little old lady who's into
    classic cars wrote in to complain not only about bike riders on the road, but lycra pollution etc (
    is, why can't they go somewhere else, they have **100's** of miles of dedicated bike paths while
    classic cars only have roads....) and the fall out has just been hysterically funny. To top it all
    off, that particular road is going to be closed to cars during the triathlon for the road race.
    Maybe If I get bored I'll google it up and paste some of the choice bits.

    Penny

  10. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Xterra is coming to town this weekend; they're going to race through my favorate local trails.
    > This isn't normally a problem but it's been
    raining
    > a LOT lately and the ground is super muddy. The race will destroy the trails. I've heard nothing
    > about them rebuilding afterwards.
    >
    > What would you do?

    So how bad do the trails look after the fact?

    -Dave

  11. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...

    > Please don't go singling out Triathletes, we're all in this together.
    >
    > The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    > give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    Hey Bill, I thought I recalled a sig similar to yours on rst. Google does not turn it up though.
    Perhaps it was just the crack.

    -Dave (who tenatively plans to do the XTERRA Germany in September).

  12. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:%[email protected]...
    > > Xterra is coming to town this weekend; they're going to race through my favorate local trails.
    > > This isn't normally a problem but it's been
    > raining
    > > a LOT lately and the ground is super muddy. The race will destroy the trails. I've heard nothing
    > > about them rebuilding afterwards.
    > >
    > > What would you do?
    > >

    > So how bad do the trails look after the fact?
    >
    > -Dave

    I rode them yesterday and they weren't in too bad shape. Some of the worst wasn't part of the race
    course. John, let me know when you (they) plan a maintenance day for the Buttermilk system. I can
    get Clif Bars and some help from Northern VA (MORE). You all did get a compliment from some guys
    down from NYC who really liked the trails, said they were well maintained and fun. They said thanks
    for the work.

    Mike

  13. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:47:22 +0200, "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Please don't go singling out Triathletes, we're all in this together.
    >>
    >> The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    >> give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    >> :-]
    >
    >Hey Bill, I thought I recalled a sig similar to yours on rst. Google does not turn it up though.
    >Perhaps it was just the crack.

    I've been warning people about that crack, some folks get might pissed though.

    >-Dave (who tenatively plans to do the XTERRA Germany in September).

    Good luck, train well.

    :-]

  14. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:12:27 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler thoughtfully penned:
    >>
    >> Please don't go singling out Triathletes, we're all in this together.
    >
    >sidelining a bit...
    >
    >One of the Iron man's is in Coeur d'Alene next week;

    That's so far out of my league it's not funny. I hope to complete my first Half in September.

    >moved from Utah because Lake CDA is not so rough. In the adjacent town ( post Falls) there's a
    >really nice road route, climbs the shoulder of Mica Mountain and traverses it for about 7 miles
    >overlooking the Spokane River Valley.... a nice place for a road ride if I do say so myself, even
    >tho I 've never done it.
    >
    >well.. I'm a big fan of the letters to the editor page. Some (fat) little old lady who's into
    >classic cars wrote in to complain not only about bike riders on the road, but lycra pollution etc (
    >is, why can't they go somewhere else, they have **100's** of miles of dedicated bike paths while
    >classic cars only have roads....) and the fall out has just been hysterically funny. To top it all
    >off, that particular road is going to be closed to cars during the triathlon for the road race.
    >Maybe If I get bored I'll google it up and paste some of the choice bits.
    >
    >Penny

    Thanks for the post.

    :-]

  15. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:43:55 -0600, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >But to clarify, point out it's the Triathletes, not mountain bikers!
    >
    > zzzz,zzzz,zzzz
    >
    > Just make sure they clean up the mess some how, some way, quickly. Xterra is a well organizing
    > group. Shouldn't be any problems.
    >
    > Please don't go singling out Triathletes, we're all in this together.

    Agreed. Not how I intended that to come across. In context it was in response to someone saying they
    (them, the bad guys, whoever that would be) would just use the trail damage as ammo against MTBers.
    I was thinking the writer of an letter/article might want to make it clear it was the sheer volume
    and timing of the race and not just casual trail users who did the damage. I guess that point
    doesn't really matter all that much.

    FWIW, I've participated in Triathlons and my whole family is way into them (me being into them the
    least). One of my early jobs in high school was working at Triathlon Today magazine. I've seen the
    Hawaii Ironman in person several times (my parents were competitors in the 80's and 90's). I like
    to poke fun at them, but many of the people closest to my heart are triathletes, so there's no
    real ill will.

    My brother is organizing an XTerra in Crested Butte this summer and I'm making him aware of this

    Matt