I'm pumped!

Deluxe Model

Guest
IF e-mailed me, said they have my frame designed, and the shop has signed off on it, and is
beginning production. They spec'd it out as a 19" frame with a 24" top tube. No more offsets to
balance things out!

deluxe model wrote:
> IF e-mailed me, said they have my frame designed, and the shop has signed off on it, and is
> beginning production. They spec'd it out as a 19" frame with a 24" top tube. No more offsets to
> balance things out!

Patience little grasshopper:

IFJoe

"Patience is power; with time and patience the mulberry leaf becomes silk."...Confucius

P.S.BAH!!!

"IFJoe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> deluxe model wrote:
> > IF e-mailed me, said they have my frame designed, and the shop has
signed
> > off on it, and is beginning production. They spec'd it out as a 19"
frame
> > with a 24" top tube. No more offsets to balance things out!
> >

> Patience little grasshopper:

Patience is a virtue, but I have none. I'm ready to ride!

> IFJoe
>
> "Patience is power; with time and patience the mulberry leaf becomes silk."...Confucius
>
> P.S.BAH!!!

What you said!1

deluxe model said...

> IF e-mailed me, said they have my frame designed, and the shop has signed off on it, and is
> beginning production. They spec'd it out as a 19" frame with a 24" top tube. No more offsets to
> balance things out!

Quick, return or eBay that SID and get a Bomber or Fox before you get the frame.

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> deluxe model said...
>
> > IF e-mailed me, said they have my frame designed, and the shop has
signed
> > off on it, and is beginning production. They spec'd it out as a 19"
frame
> > with a 24" top tube. No more offsets to balance things out!
>
> Quick, return or eBay that SID and get a Bomber or Fox before you get the frame.

Seriously, are the 2003 SIDs that bad? My weight will be down to 190 or less by the time I get it
built up. If the SID does blow up on me, it'll be replaced with something else. I'll get the Bomber
before the Fox though.

deluxe model said...

> Seriously, are the 2003 SIDs that bad? My weight will be down to 190 or less by the time I get it
> built up. If the SID does blow up on me, it'll be replaced with something else. I'll get the
> Bomber before the Fox though.

It is a very light weight race specific fork. It would be the last fork in the world anybody would
recommend for someone your size and for your intended use. Common wisdom says that a guy your size
shouldn't get an air fork at all. SIDs are renowned for their noodle-like flexiness. I could tell a
huge difference in the stiffness between a Duke XC and the Fox Vanilla I replaced it with. The Duke
is known as a decently stiff fork and I only weigh 170 lbs. That should tell you something about how
you are going to fare with the SID. The way it is likely to work out is that you can let go of the
SID now and cut your losses, or trash it later and get nothing out of it. Either way you will end up
with a more robust fork, but you may save yourself hundreds of dollars and possibly a face plant by
trading it out now. The steerer is still uncut, right? Can you still return it? Run, don't walk away
from this fork. Too bad you won't consider a Fox, because I think the Vanilla would be a great fork
for you and that steel hardtail.

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> deluxe model said...
>
> > Seriously, are the 2003 SIDs that bad? My weight will be down to 190 or
less
> > by the time I get it built up. If the SID does blow up on me, it'll be replaced with something
> > else. I'll get the Bomber before the Fox though.
>
> It is a very light weight race specific fork. It would be the last fork in the world anybody would
> recommend for someone your size and for your intended use. Common wisdom says that a guy your size
> shouldn't get an air fork at all. SIDs are renowned for their noodle-like flexiness. I could tell
> a huge difference in the stiffness between a Duke XC and the Fox Vanilla I replaced it with. The
> Duke is known as a decently stiff fork and I only weigh 170 lbs. That should tell you something
> about how you are going to fare with the SID. The way it is likely to work out is that you can let
> go of the SID now and cut your losses, or trash it later and get nothing out of it. Either way you
> will end up with a more robust fork, but you may save yourself hundreds of dollars and possibly a
> face plant by trading it out now. The steerer is still uncut, right? Can you still return it? Run,
> don't walk away from this fork. Too bad you won't consider a Fox, because I think the Vanilla
> would be a great fork for you and that steel hardtail.

I got a second opinion, and he said about the same thing. I would be walking a fine line, and if I
started to get a little aggressive, it could mean trouble. The steerer is uncut, it's new and
complete with all the paperwork, and pump. Hell, I picked it up on ebay for $385. I will more than
likely get my money back for it.

I've already budgeted my money out on parts, so the Fox is a little out of my range. I'm thinking
85mm Marzocchi Marathon S now. Dual coil, and heavier, but it'll handle my weight with no problem.
Several places offer it for $499 with a free King headset. Hell, I can get $85 for the headset on
ebay easy since I already have one, and almost call it even.

Hey, I can even join the Bumberhood Clup, or whatever it's called, but instead brandy, and stogies,
I'll settle for a New Jersey pizza.

deluxe model said...

> I got a second opinion, and he said about the same thing. I would be walking a fine line, and if I
> started to get a little aggressive, it could mean trouble. The steerer is uncut, it's new and
> complete with all the paperwork, and pump. Hell, I picked it up on ebay for $385. I will more than
> likely get my money back for it.
>
> I've already budgeted my money out on parts, so the Fox is a little out of my range. I'm thinking
> 85mm Marzocchi Marathon S now. Dual coil, and heavier, but it'll handle my weight with no problem.
> Several places offer it for $499 with a free King headset. Hell, I can get $85 for the headset on
> ebay easy since I already have one, and almost call it even.
>
> Hey, I can even join the Bumberhood Clup, or whatever it's called, but instead brandy, and
> stogies, I'll settle for a New Jersey pizza.

A very wise move. The Marathon S would be a great choice. www.beyondbikes.com appears to have a blue
one in stock for $389. Shop around at all the online places and see who has one in stock and ready
to go. You can get a Fox Vanilla R or RL from www.jensonusa.com for $400. You can set up the Fox for
80, 100, 125mm travel, but it requires rearranging some internal spacers. If you end up wit a new
King headset that you don't need, I might take it off your hands as long as it is new and not a
funky color.

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> deluxe model said...
>
> > I got a second opinion, and he said about the same thing. I would be
walking
> > a fine line, and if I started to get a little aggressive, it could mean trouble. The steerer is
> > uncut, it's new and complete with all the
paperwork,
> > and pump. Hell, I picked it up on ebay for $385. I will more than likely
get
> > my money back for it.
> >
> > I've already budgeted my money out on parts, so the Fox is a little out
of
> > my range. I'm thinking 85mm Marzocchi Marathon S now. Dual coil, and heavier, but it'll handle
> > my weight with no problem. Several places
offer it
> > for $499 with a free King headset. Hell, I can get $85 for the headset
on
> > ebay easy since I already have one, and almost call it even.
> >
> > Hey, I can even join the Bumberhood Clup, or whatever it's called, but instead brandy, and
> > stogies, I'll settle for a New Jersey pizza.
>
> A very wise move. The Marathon S would be a great choice. www.beyondbikes.com appears to have a
> blue one in stock for $389. Shop around at all the online places and see who has one in stock and
> ready to go. You can get a Fox Vanilla R or RL from www.jensonusa.com for $400. You can set up the
> Fox for 80, 100, 125mm travel, but it requires rearranging some internal spacers. If you end up
> wit a new King headset that you don't need, I might take it off your hands as long as it is new
> and not a funky color.

I've got that SID up for sale. I will end up choosing between those two forks, just not sure which.
It'll probably come down to the best deal I can get when I'm ready to buy. I'm glad I'm doing this
now, because I had been second guessing my decision to get the SID for some time. You, and my
mechanic buddy kind of confirmed it for me. I'm not normally a hammer, but I have my moments.

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> deluxe model said...
>
> > "Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > You can get a Fox Vanilla R or RL from www.jensonusa.com for $400.
> > >
> > CBO has the Vanilla R for $329.....
> >
> > http://www.cambriabike.com/forks&shock/fox_forx.htm
> >
> > Now if I can only find that buyer real quick!
>
> The Vanilla is a solid product. It has big, stiff 32mm stanchions that are only found on much
> heavier Bombers and a lot of travel if you want
> it. Some people complain that it makes phantom noises, but lots of forks do that. I haven't
> noticed any with mine. I have a Duke SL leaning against the wall that I was very impressed
> with, except for an annoying rattle that is a characteristic of this fork. I am going to eBay
> it soon. It is brand new with only about 5 miles on it. Steerer is cut to 8", which should be
> enough for most bikes. It is coil/oil and has the very cool U-turn feature. If you want to get
> your bike rolling for cheap, I'll let it go for $150. When I eBay it, I will put a buy it now
> price of $175 on it, which is the lowest price I saw completed auctions end at.

I doubt if that steerer would be long enough for my frame (19"). I'm going to set my bike up so the
tops of my grips are about even with the top of the saddle, so it may take some spacers.

I'm going to go with the Vanilla R. Real simple, with no bells and whistles to break. I'll put the
proper spring in for my weight, set the travel to 80 mm, get the settings to my liking, and then
forget about it. Pure simplicity.

I sold the SID already for what I have into it. When the $$ hits my account from PayPal, I'll get
that Vanilla on the way.

> I also have a set of Bontrager race disc tubeless wheels that I am going to auction for the same
> price. Very cool hubs (Hugi Onyx), but only 28 spokes, so it probably isn't the best wheel for
> someone your size.

I already have a set of Mavic X3.1/King ISOs, that by the way are 'still' holding air.

deluxe model said...

> "Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > You can get a Fox Vanilla R or RL from www.jensonusa.com for $400.
> >
> CBO has the Vanilla R for $329.....
>
> http://www.cambriabike.com/forks&shock/fox_forx.htm
>
> Now if I can only find that buyer real quick!

The Vanilla is a solid product. It has big, stiff 32mm stanchions that are only found on much
heavier Bombers and a lot of travel if you want
it. Some people complain that it makes phantom noises, but lots of forks do that. I haven't noticed
any with mine. I have a Duke SL leaning against the wall that I was very impressed with, except
for an annoying rattle that is a characteristic of this fork. I am going to eBay it soon. It is
brand new with only about 5 miles on it. Steerer is cut to 8", which should be enough for most
bikes. It is coil/oil and has the very cool U-turn feature. If you want to get your bike rolling
for cheap, I'll let it go for $150. When I eBay it, I will put a buy it now price of $175 on it,
which is the lowest price I saw completed auctions end at. I also have a set of Bontrager race
disc tubeless wheels that I am going to auction for the same price. Very cool hubs (Hugi Onyx),
but only 28 spokes, so it probably isn't the best wheel for someone your size.

deluxe model said...

> I doubt if that steerer would be long enough for my frame (19"). I'm going to set my bike up so
> the tops of my grips are about even with the top of the saddle, so it may take some spacers.
>
> I'm going to go with the Vanilla R. Real simple, with no bells and whistles to break. I'll put the
> proper spring in for my weight, set the travel to 80 mm, get the settings to my liking, and then
> forget about it. Pure simplicity.

That's why I went with the Vanilla too. Simple, rugged, high quality. It works.

> I already have a set of Mavic X3.1/King ISOs, that by the way are 'still' holding air.

Nice wheels. I doesn't get any better than that. I've got Mavic 3.1s with Hope XC hubs. The Hope
hubs are really solid and half the price of Kings, a good compromise between boring Shimano and King
bike jewelry. But I would never fault anyone for buying the best.

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> deluxe model said...
>
> > I doubt if that steerer would be long enough for my frame (19"). I'm
going
> > to set my bike up so the tops of my grips are about even with the top of
the
> > saddle, so it may take some spacers.
> >
> > I'm going to go with the Vanilla R. Real simple, with no bells and
whistles
> > to break. I'll put the proper spring in for my weight, set the travel to
80
> > mm, get the settings to my liking, and then forget about it. Pure simplicity.
>
> That's why I went with the Vanilla too. Simple, rugged, high quality. It works.

Changing springs are a snap too. swapping the travel spacers are a little more involved, but
not that difficult it seems. I've yet to find someone that sells the srings, but I've not tried
that hard.

> > I already have a set of Mavic X3.1/King ISOs, that by the way are
'still'
> > holding air.
>
> Nice wheels. I doesn't get any better than that. I've got Mavic 3.1s with Hope XC hubs. The Hope
> hubs are really solid and half the price of Kings, a good compromise between boring Shimano and
> King bike jewelry. But I would never fault anyone for buying the best.

This fancy **** is mostly for my ego. I couldn't even come close to pushing LX components to the
limits. I can wear'em out though. :)

deluxe model said...

> Changing springs are a snap too. swapping the travel spacers are a little more involved, but
> not that difficult it seems. I've yet to find someone that sells the srings, but I've not tried
> that hard.

Mine came with extra springs that are sitting in my parts bin. I didn't need to change them, but
you might.

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> deluxe model said...
>
> > Changing springs are a snap too. swapping the travel spacers are a
little
> > more involved, but not that difficult it seems. I've yet to find someone that sells the srings,
> > but I've not tried that hard.
>
> Mine came with extra springs that are sitting in my parts bin. I didn't need to change them, but
> you might.

I need to go with the orange spring it looks like.